My new STIHL MS 341

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAVAGE420

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well two days ago i picked this guy up and ive made a couple cuts with it in my back 40...and MAN she cuts like butter. Im really happy with this saw so far.:clap: I also put on a Oregon Pro Lite 24" bar.

Checkout the virgin

NewSTIHLMS341Chainsaw002.jpg

NewSTIHLMS341Chainsaw001.jpg

NewSTIHLMS341Chainsaw003.jpg

NewSTIHLMS341Chainsaw004.jpg

I also have a lil 40cc 18" bar yard machines that i used before and will still use as its ultra light weight for camping and quadding and stuff like that

yikes nice saw but that is a sick banshee The details are almost perfect! Wow what does that this have for an engine? Nice saw by the way get it dirty quickly.

yikes nice saw but that is a sick banshee The details are almost perfect! Wow what does that this have for an engine? Nice saw by the way get it dirty quickly.

Thanx for the kind words man. yes the banshees and 2 strokes alike are my passion.
My shee...well i have done almost everything you can do to them as i tear it down every winter and mod it out some more...i would need 2 pages to right everything ive done to it down here..but in short shee's a 400 stroker, aggressive trail/dune port, bigger carbs, billet intakes and a ton more engine mods and suspention work too...back to chain saw talk-ins LOL:greenchainsaw:

Do you think this 24' bar will be fine on this saw or is it over kill??? It seems to rip real good with no bog through the 35" diameter log i was buckin yesterday!!!

That 24" would be the most I would run on that saw. If you're going to use it a lot, then have at it. If you think you want something a little shorter for 'regular' use, then grab an 18 and watch the chips fly!

It is a little big for that saw get a 20 or 24" bar and you will be happier unless you need that much reach. Quite the shee you have but you have an ok saw and it will cut you a lot of wood. It has it's purpose and would be like having a warrior 350cc quad. It has it's purpose but better saws can be had but depends on how much wood you need to cut. If you get a ms361 that would be like having a 700raptor and a ms660 would be like the yfz450 and the ultimate the ms880.That saw would be like your shee a mad insane saw that could cut anything with ease but not handle the best and be a little heavy.

That 24" would be the most I would run on that saw. If you're going to use it a lot, then have at it. If you think you want something a little shorter for 'regular' use, then grab an 18 and watch the chips fly!

What do you meen by that??? An 18' or so would cut quicker and faster with more chips???lol Will it rev quicker wit ha shorter bar?

Last edited:
It is a little big for that saw get a 20 or 24" bar and you will be happier unless you need that much reach.

Well i have the 24"er on it right now....also i basically will be using it for firewood and brushing and limbing sometimes. Basically a weekend fun saw:givebeer:

Last edited:
Hey if it works for you than keep it up! but with a shorter bar it will give a bit more torque and chainspeed and be cheaper to buy and sharpen chains. This is where bad suggestions come in, a guy with one saw definitely needs to run a longer bar because he needs to cut big stuff too but it all depends on your needs. I suggest getting a nice 16" Stihl bar and chain combo probably $60.00 in a .375 pitch and .050 gauge and try an RSC chain. It will cut like mad and if you want try out an 8pin sproket for softer wood like poplar and pine/spruce it will pay off in quicker cuts but remember to control your feedrate with the 8pin, it will cut quicker but you need to kep your saw in the sweetspot.

Last edited:
Hey if it works for you than keep it up! but with a shorter bar it will give a bit more torque and chainspeed and be cheaper to buy and sharpen chains. This is where bad suggestions come in, a guy with one saw definitely needs to run a longer bar because he needs to cut big stuff too but it all depends on your needs. I suggest getting a nice 16" Stihl bar and chain combo probably $60.00 in a .375 pitch and .050 gauge and try an RSC chain. It will cut like mad and if you want try out an 8pin sproket for softer wood like poplar and pine/spruce it will pay off in quicker cuts.

WOW a 16" bar, thats tiny man, don't know if i could go that small and would i really notice that much different's in torque gains?

PS do you ride a quad and/or dirt bike?

Is there a place here i could post up my quad, dirt bike, sled, boat and two trucks? :poke:

Last edited:
24" is fine on that thing, just use skip chain.

I like the 25" ES bar on my 361 for reach and clearing out brush, I can take out a larger grouping with 1 swipe of the bar.

What do you meen by that??? An 18' or so would cut quicker and faster with more chips???lol Will it rev quicker wit ha shorter bar?

Yup. If you run a 16" like huskydave said and grab an 8T sprocket, she'll surprise you. By burying that 24" bar you're really at the saws limit. I dont think I'd ever run my 24" on my 361 unless I absolutely needed to. I just stick with the 20", but I've got the 660 for the big stuff.

killer shee man, my buddy had one he modded with everything. had to run on vp red too that thing was boarderline out right dangerous to ride in the woods. i remember kicking huge roost in 4th like it was in 1st killer bike. then some :censored: stole it!

Everything here is Douglas Fir, Alder, Cedar, and the occasional Maple.

Yeah, I just realized the OP is out there in BC so he should be just fine in the softwoods with that bar. I guess it was the lack of the wrap handle that threw me off.

killer shee man, my buddy had one he modded with everything. had to run on vp red too that thing was boarderline out right dangerous to ride in the woods. i remember kicking huge roost in 4th like it was in 1st killer bike. then some :censored: stole it!

Man sounded like i nice shee also. I hate jack ass's that steal our nice stuff to buy crack or meth with it.:cry:

I run AV gas in my shee!

Last edited:
Yeah, I just realized the OP is out there in BC so he should be just fine in the softwoods with that bar. I guess it was the lack of the wrap handle that threw me off.

Basicly all i will be cutting is cedar, hemlock, Douglas fir and some birch...

So You think it will be fine with the 24 and a full chain if i don't bury it all to much or should i change it out.

Im getting mixed opinions here lol

Will it eff my saw up or?

The guy at the place i bought it gave me the option of what bar and stuff i wanted and said the 24 would be just fine on it with a full chain.

Back