Nature does the work.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have been asked by a few here for some pics of how I get my wood. Basically I live on an estuary and let the tide do the work.

I take a walk along the bank about twice a week and collect anything from 3" upwards. This year so far I have harvested 3 whole trees and enough wood for next years heating plus possibly some more.

The pics are take from our up stairs window and the first shot shows the tide in and an ash washed up.

the second is just how close I can get them with time. This tree was some half mile away when I first came across it. All I use is a rope, fence post and hammer to drive it. The high tides do the rest. Takes time but sames the back, and access is a real problem otherwise.View attachment 95157

View attachment 95159

don't those huge trees pose a risk to boats when they're floating around out there?

MGA, there are few boats use it as when the tide goes out the river will only be about 3 feet deep. and about 12 wide.

wow, that looks like a beautiful place. how long for the wood to dry out?
I will always try to give it atleast 6 month after cutting and splitting, but I I have any doubts over if it's seasoned or not I will go the whole 12 months,( depends on how much I can get though! )

Nice! It's like free delivery. That's pretty scenery. Do any paddling around there?

Awesome way to collect wood. Beautiful place you have too. I bet those trees are really heavy though.

Yup when they are wet, but If I can time it right with the high winter tides/storms I can get them far enough away that during the summer if I lever them up onto branches/post most of the water can dry before moving them. But yes they do get very heavy.

The other draw back is normally it is nigh on impossible to id the wood just like this thread

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=88816

Basically I call it firewood and it heats my home.

Nice! It's like free delivery. That's pretty scenery. Do any paddling around there?

There have been people killed on this eastury due to unstable sands and very fast incoming tides. I have walked across the bed and floated large tree in from the other side but always do it during the first few hours after the tide has gone out, to risky to take chance's

I agree that is a beautiful place. What I really like about it is it appears you are spread out and not on top of each other which is commonplace for an affordable lakefront home in the states.

I occasionally burn driftwood myself but it is from a fresh water source. Either a log gets caught in my dock or a bad flood will allow a free opportunity to cut on corp land.

My question to you: Since you hinted about tides what do you do about the salt and potential corrosion of your woodburning unit ?

My question to you: Since you hinted about tides what do you do about the salt and potential corrosion of your woodburning unit ?

I live inland, and the small brook behind my house doesn't have the ability to float downstream wood much wider than my wrist. So I ask this out of sheer curiosity.

What's your creosote situation?

I've read that throwing in the occasional handful of rock salt into a fire breaks up any build up. I don't know if this is just an old wives tale or if there's some science behind it.

But your burning of salty wood might provide a bit of a case study.

not for nothing but from them pics it doesnt look like you have a lot of other options except hoping something washes ashore. looking at them pics there is not a tree in site.

I live inland, and the small brook behind my house doesn't have the ability to float downstream wood much wider than my wrist. So I ask this out of sheer curiosity.

What's your creosote situation?

I've read that throwing in the occasional handful of rock salt into a fire breaks up any build up. I don't know if this is just an old wives tale or if there's some science behind it.

But your burning of salty wood might provide a bit of a case study.

Well basically We have the lum( Scottish term for chimmeny!) swept once every year and the guy who does it always comments on how clean it is. so maybe it is the salt, or the fact the wood get very dry down on the shore with the wind.

not for nothing but from them pics it doesnt look like you have a lot of other options except hoping something washes ashore. looking at them pics there is not a tree in site.

We are surrounded by tree's but unlike my friends in the USA, we can't cut free on anyones land even the Forrestry Commission doesn't allow it. but I have my sources!!

ok....i gotta ask: where do all these trees come from?

only real answer I can give is ................up river!:dizzy:

They float over from the east coast when us wasteful yanks throwing away perfectly good trees.

:clap::clap: I wouldn't mind a few more in that case. takes me most of the winter months to scrounge for the following year. but get me out of the house and plenty of excersize.

This picture is with the tide out. you can just about make out the river on the far side. If you look to the right of the Large storage tanks that is all wood land

Latest posts

Back