NE 346XP for limbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a good little saw,I got a great little saw.I looked at all the saws out there and pro is the only way to go if you want them to last.When my 359 gets too heavy I will sell it and get a MS200 rear handle to go with the ported 346.That would be my plan today.

That 346 of yours is one nice looking saw. That you out by the wood stack in one of the pictures Woodyman?

That 346 of yours is one nice looking saw. That you out by the wood stack in one of the pictures Woodyman?
I hope you meant,is that your dog.If not I don't know what you are asking because thats all I see is the best dog in the whole world in one of the pics,her name is Buffy.

I hope you meant,is that your dog.If not I don't know what you are asking because that's all I see is the best dog in the whole world in one of the pics,her name is Buffy.

yeah. that's what I meant. The little Border Collie mix,Katie, that I have posted is my best buddy. Loves to ride, stays down at the shed with me while I tinker with chainsaws.

Last edited:
I said it before and will repeat it again. That 260s starting problem was either operator or dealer error. Even the husky heads will admit you won't find a more rock solid saw than the 026/260. Not the fastest but soild like a brick ****house.

Operator error? NOT! I'd ran that saw too much to not have figured it out. It was just a bear to start so I took it in to have it serviced. Possible problem? Maybe. But I didn't need that(especially on a two year old saw) Before I knew it I was walking out with a new 346. And I'm now very happy with it. Solid chainsaw.

I was just speculating about getting rid of the 359. I do like the saw and I think maybe one of the bigger ones would be in order before getting another 50 cc saw. It may depend on whether or not my shoulder holds up, too. The weight is becoming an issue if I have to lift it to shoulder level.

I said it before and will repeat it again. That 260s starting problem was either operator or dealer error. Even the husky heads will admit you won't find a more rock solid saw than the 026/260. Not the fastest but soild like a brick ****house.

I believe the 260 has had more than its share of carb and choke related issues in the past.....:popcorn::popcorn:

attachment.php
I was just speculating about getting rid of the 359. I do like the saw and I think maybe one of the bigger ones would be in order before getting another 50 cc saw. It may depend on whether or not my shoulder holds up, too. The weight is becoming an issue if I have to lift it to shoulder level.
I hear you about the shoulder thing,my thing is I am getting older.You say before getting another 50cc saw you might go bigger but you have a bad shoulder:confused:You have 3 saws that are so close in weight and power in the 60cc class.Sell 2 of your 60cc saws and go from there.I got my 346 because I will be down sizing in the future and porting it.I got a ported 359 for weight savings.Now if it was 10 or 15 years ago I would have a 80cc saw and a ported 346 right now even though I don't have real big wood.Just about all my wood cutting in the last 28 years was done with a 266SE husqvarna with a 16" B/C and a husqvarna 44 rancher with a 16" B/C.I had a 24" bar for the 266 but never used it.Here is a pic of bar when I sold it last year.
attachment.php
I sold the 266 because my buddy smoked me with his 2001 359.

Woodyman, was your buddy's 359 stock?
I know what you're saying about the bad shoulder. I couldn't agree with you more. I would reccommend the 346 just for that reason. As much as we dread it, chainsaws will be getting heavier due to the design restrictions of the epa. Maybe it's just me, but weight factor will impact the lightweight limbing saws more than felling/bucking saws.

Nice!!!!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
I think I will listen to SawTroll and get get one and set it up for now the way they do in Norway for this winter:jawdrop:
attachment.php
Will break it in with this set-up then I will go with the 16" B/C next season and see when I will port it.It is the non CAT model.

Congrats and enjoy!!! I been runnin a 18 inch bar and chain on mine and works out really good for me...You'll be find out you can cut some pretty good size trees with that little saw...For the weight and zip that saw has,,,you did good..... :clap:

I agree with SawTroll, except the handle is much nicer on the 2153 Jred.:buttkick:

:cheers:
Mike

Regarding the handles.....

On the 2153, I can picture the bar going straight out with a normal hold. On the 346, I can imagine the bar pointing left from the change in angle of the bar. Is that the way it works, or do you just get used to holding your hand differently. Or maybe you just grip the handle in a different spot. I can compare with my 385, it seems I tend to either stand at a different angle, or else have to have the bar pointing crooked. Right hand always wants to be tucked in close to my body. All my other saws are straight gripped.

Maybe the angled grip allows you to pull the saw into your body, rather than stand away from it. ???

IMO, the angled grip of the Husky allows the bar to go straight forward since you should be standing offset to the side to begin with. It all depandes on your cutting style.

:agree2:

I really can't understand why some disagree.......

Last edited:
IMO, the angled grip of the Husky allows the bar to go straight forward since you should be standing offset to the side to begin with. It all depandes on your cutting style.

:agree2:

I really can't understand why some disagree.......

Niko, I'm just giving you a little crap and I knew you would bite!!! I'm gonna have to get my hands on a 346 and see how much difference there is between the two. I'm sure one would be just as good as the other, it just depends on which one your used to.

:cheers:
Mike

Woody,

Ya done good. I will save ya some tinkering silliness though.

Forget the Narrow kerf nonsense.

I put a .325 Oregon Micro bar and chain on my new 346 just to see if it sped anything up or not.

Well.....
If it does, it ain't obvious enough to justify the $$$.
It's going on the Barn wall as a spare, and as soon as the BBT drops the last order from Bailys i'm goin back to std. .325 .50 and a regular Carlton or windsor Bar.

Give that 346 some time to break in and wake up.
There's still a handfull of grunt and snarl that hasn't shown up yet in your new saw. ;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Woody,

Ya done good. I will save ya some tinkering silliness though.

Forget the Narrow kerf nonsense.

I put a .325 Oregon Micro bar and chain on my new 346 just to see if it sped anything up or not.

Well.....
If it does, it ain't obvious enough to justify the $$$.
It's going on the Barn wall as a spare, and as soon as the BBT drops the last order from Bailys i'm goin back to std. .325 .50 and a regular Carlton or windsor Bar.

Give that 346 some time to break in and wake up.
There's still a handfull of grunt and snarl that hasn't shown up yet in your new saw. ;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The NE346 doesn't really like the Micro-lite/NK/Pixel stuff that often is standard, at least not with a 15-16" bar......:censored:

The cutters simply aren't effective enough to do justice to the saw.

.325 LP and RSC is much better! :clap::clap:

Last edited:
Back