Need advice on which pole saw to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmanero

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking at buying a pole saw to trim the tall trees around my property. Looking at the Husqvarna 327P5x (fixed shaft that comes apart for transport/storage) and the 327PT5s (telescopic shaft). Undecided on which would be the better saw. The telescopic shaft seems like it would be easier to use, as the shaft length is adjustable for the job at hand. But the obne that comes apart for transport and storage is also a nice feature, as my storage space is limited and it would be easier to transport when I need to take it somewhere. Anybody have an opinion on which is the better saw as far as actual cutting and user-friendliness? Is there another brand of saw that I should be looking at (echo, stihl)?

Getting one that comes apart but can't be used in a short configuration doesn't seem ideal.

I have the telescoping Stihl 131 and the non telescoping efco PT2700. The stihl one is heavy and kind of long for most stuff in the retracted position. It cuts smoothly. The efco one is much lighter and can be used longer but for some reason it is quite jumpy in the chain action. I have modified bars to use the same chain and at this point think it is that the efco one is rubber mounted. I see that Echo (Echo is different from Efco but no experience personally) offers an extension where the stihl dealer was adamant that no such device could be used. They don't extend as much as you might think and the old wood poles and manual can go higher. Stihl does have an angle drive accessory which I suppose is worth noting.

Last edited:
Well....... I've always used a manual pole saw, but they certainly have limitations, can be slow, certainly more dangerous if on a ladder, etc....and, ain't gonna work if one has to prune no-resistance branches such as pine at a point away from the trunk. Thus, much as I hate to fuss with 'pruning' when a guy should just be cuttin'......
.....:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:.....I recently went ahead and bit that proverbial bullet.

In checking, I found that Husqvarna just didn't seem to have taken the Pole Saw quite as seriously as Stihl: Less max-reach and power in their product line. So, finding that Stihl had the top-of-line model HT-131 with more reach and a 36cc head, vs. the 25cc on the Husky models, I went ahead and grabbed one. I figgerred that, as is usually the case with equipment; spend the money and get the max. capacity so one won't come up wanting when needing a piece of equipment in a given function category. I won't need it very often, but....when I do, I want to have all that the industry offers in-hand.

So, then, it can be reduced to: A guy may not use his tool often, but, when he does, he may wish to have all the length and power possible.

THIS is the unit: STIHL HT 131 Telescoping Pole Pruner - Extended Reach Tree Pruners | STIHL USA Mobile

NOT me here, but....for yer reference: Stihl HT 131 16' Pole Saw Tree Trimmer - YouTube

** The '16 ft.' reach in that vid. is an overstatement. Actual is a bit over 12' to the base of the handle/grip.

Another video: Stihl HT-131 pole saw in action - YouTube

I have a Tanaka TPS-260PF that has been gray. I've logged a ton if hours on it and have done nothing to it but sharpen chains.

Been looking into this myself.So far the Efco PTX2700 leads the pack.Telescoping,pivot head,bar oil reservoir on the head and I've had good luck with my Efco brushcutter. My Dealers good also.Thing runs about $650.00 alot for a some time use tool.Non extending are quite a bit cheaper but I just know I'll cuss the first time I have to use the dumptruck to reach that next limb.Also PA efco dealers get their stuff from a Harrisburg distributer.

Last edited:
The first choice of arborists around here seems to be the HT131 followed by the HT101, and then the Echo extendables. I have a HT131 but prefer to use my HT250 that's shorter and has a fixed pole and use an orchard ladder with it. That is much lighter and easier on my body. Plus it's way more maneuverable when doing very small limbs.

I do not like Stihl chainsaws at all, but do really like their trimmers. I'm assuming Stihl pole saws use the same power heads as their trimmers, is this correct? I ask because I'm also in the market for a pole saw...

Yes, the Stihl polesaws have the same 4-mix engines the trimmers and Kombi have. Except the HT250, it has the same 40cc two stroke power head as the FS250 trimmer. In other words a lot of power for a polesaw. I run the same 16" bar on mine as I do my 200t, in fact it's almost like a 200t on a stick.

Yes, the Stihl polesaws have the same 4-mix engines the trimmers and Kombi have. Except the HT250, it has the same 40cc two stroke power head as the FS250 trimmer. In other words a lot of power for a polesaw. I run the same 16" bar on mine as I do my 200t, in fact it's almost like a 200t on a stick.

Thanks. I've had a FS110R for years and love it. Never a problem and it gets used a lot! :msp_smile:

Been looking into this myself.So far the Efco PTX2700 leads the pack.Telescoping,pivot head,bar oil reservoir on the head and I've had good luck with my Efco brushcutter. My Dealers good also.Thing runs about $650.00 alot for a some time use tool.Non extending are quite a bit cheaper but I just know I'll cuss the first time I have to use the dumptruck to reach that next limb.Also PA efco dealers get their stuff from a Harrisburg distributer.

Ive looked at the Efco too and it will be my next polesaw. No other brand offers a pivot head AFAIK.

Eric

I do not like Stihl chainsaws at all, but do really like their trimmers. I'm assuming Stihl pole saws use the same power heads as their trimmers, is this correct? I ask because I'm also in the market for a pole saw...
You don't like Stilh Chainsaws ??? Shame on you..:laugh: Good Day....I Said Good Day...:laugh:
That 70's Show, Fez: Good day - YouTube

Hmmmmmm. You could buy a quaility manual pole saw and a lopper for less. And have a lighter, less tiring, low maintenance, quieter, cheaper to run, safer, most of the time faster overall, and generally better equipment for remote cutting, IMO.

handtools are more often overlooked these days..........

Hmmmmmm. You could buy a quaility manual pole saw and a lopper for less. And have a lighter, less tiring, low maintenance, quieter, cheaper to run, safer, most of the time faster overall, and generally better equipment for remote cutting, IMO.

Party pooper....

There is a place for both. I have both and use them in their respective applications. A manual pole pruner/saw actually can reach higher and for some cuts is the better way to go. If there is a lot of sawing or larger diameter, the powered pole saw is good to have.

One use for the manual pole saw/pruner is that it can be helpful to set pulling lines.

Just as a bow saw can sometimes be a better tool than a chainsaw...

depending on the thickness of what you are cutting silky has some really nice manual pole saws,
I use my hayuchi any chance i get.

I have an Echo PPF-225 (fixed length shaft) with an optional 3' extension. I am not a professional, nor do I use the saw frequently...but it has served me well and it is plenty powerful enough to take down limbs as large as the bar length will allow.

Good choice...for someone who doesn't need a pole saw daily.

Latest posts

Back