need help looking at a new saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
avalancher. My wife told me yesterday she wants her own saw. Notice your wife uses the Husky 137. Can you tell me anything about the saw? Why she likes it? I plan on checking out their website. My 029 is too heavy for her. Anyone else want to add their 2 cents is welcome.

To my way of thinking, a saw with a decompression button and lightweight should fit the bill. The discontinued, or soon to be, Makita DCS401 or Dolmar PS401 are 39cc, have magnesium cases, decomp and very lightweight at 8.8# for the powerhead. The new replacement is more powerful, slightly heavier, and likely more expensive, Dolmar PS420. I bought my first DCS401 on Ebay for $225+S&H, but they're now $245 or so.

The Husqvarna 353 is another moderate weight saw with decomp and mag cases, but more expensive than the Makitas and Dolmars, also more powerful. Its even more powerful sibling is the 346XP, and the Jonsered equivalents are 2152 and 2153, (I think)

The Stihl MS260 Pro has decomp, and is similar in weight and power to the Husqvarna 353, but even more expensive than the 346XP. These Husqvarnas and Stihl are under 11# for the pwerhead.

I would be wary of the Stihl 250 and smaller due to lack of adjustable carb. The smaller Husqvarnas(other than the 339XP) are either assembled by Poulan, or the "Made in Sweden" saws have plastic lower crankcases. The Husqvarna 350s have been known to lose their muffler bolts and melt the case...

The small Echo CS-306 only has enough power for 6" or smaller wood. The CS-346 is better, and still very lightweight at 7.5# powerhead. Realistically, 10" wood is about its limit. Their newer CS-370 and CS-400 are more powerful, but heavier. All of these have their engine shortblocks enclosed in a plastic clamshell case. My favorite small Echo is a 3450 bought used on Ebay, and if you can get a like new one at a good price, its worth pursuing for small wood and limbs. A NIB 345/3450/346 at best case scenario price on Ebay will run $150-$175. At Lowes they'll run $269.

Buy a Makita or Dolmar 401 or 420 and don't look back!

+++

066 came out in 1999

If you read that from Chainsaw Collectors Corner, it isn't correct. I posted the question on the chainsaw board, and the real answer is 1988, and this from a list of series/models with production years printed prior to 2002.

I thank you for all your help, but still a little :confused: on which saw to get... The weight of the saw is not a issue because I will be using on the big stuff mostly. I have my 039 that I use 95% of the time and 028 to trim... So any way today I went down the saw shops got some more prices, the husky shop i can deal on prices. Now for the stihl shop can't get to budge. And all the chainsaws ( jonsered, domar ) mention there no other shops around me.

Now my question is which saw will do the job for the buck... and most dependable.. my funds are alittle low right now because bought new logslitter a month a go...

575xp and 372xp $610.00

395xp $850

ms460 $860

ms660 $1100 :cry:

I thank all
Skip

There is that lightly used 660 in the Tradin Post for $925, and its in Pa. The 372XP for $610 is a smokin' deal. The 395XP is comparable to the 660 power wise, but just a little heavier, but at great deal at $850. $860 for a Stihl 460 is the normal price, but its one of their best saws with excellent power to weight. The 372 has the least weight and power. The 395 is at the opposite end with high power and heavier weight. Its your money, but I wouldn't buy the 575. Its one of the new generation saws thats heavier due to EPA regulations like the Stihl 441. $1100 for a 660? ouch!

I thank you for all your help, but still a little :confused: on which saw to get... The weight of the saw is not a issue because I will be using on the big stuff mostly. I have my 039 that I use 95% of the time and 028 to trim... So any way today I went down the saw shops got some more prices, the husky shop i can deal on prices. Now for the stihl shop can't get to budge. And all the chainsaws ( jonsered, domar ) mention there no other shops around me.

Now my question is which saw will do the job for the buck... and most dependable.. my funds are alittle low right now because bought new logslitter a month a go...

575xp and 372xp $610.00

395xp $850

ms460 $860

ms660 $1100 :cry:

I thank all
Skip

the question becomes......is that 460 really 250 dollars better than the 372?

he did say it was for the big wood and we all know that particular stihl can pull a long bar no problem according to the left coasters.

but $610 for the husky is good. that come with a bar and chain?

but since i look at your price sheet you simply cant lose with that 395 at almost the same as a 77cc saw.

and you did say big wood.

enough flip flop'n..... i gotta say go for the 395.

(excuse me....i have to go out to my truck and apologize to my 660.)

There is that lightly used 660 in the Tradin Post for $925, and its in Pa. The 372XP for $610 is a smokin' deal. The 395XP is comparable to the 660 power wise, but just a little heavier, but at great deal at $850. $860 for a Stihl 460 is the normal price, but its one of their best saws with excellent power to weight. The 372 has the least weight and power. The 395 is at the opposite end with high power and heavier weight. Its your money, but I wouldn't buy the 575. Its one of the new generation saws thats heavier due to EPA regulations like the Stihl 441. $1100 for a 660? ouch!

Thanks for the tip on the tradin post.. I new here so I'm learning the in and outs:) The thing here I always had stihl saws even when I was a logger back in the 80's I never ran anything else... I just cut firewood now but having a hard time with the little 039 on the big trees... On the big stuff I use my friends 066 but don't like to borrow if you no what I mean... through out all the posts here seems like 372xp might be the one. But i like to try one first because it seems like the husky got the top end with less bottom end ( like a small vs big block) I know the 066 pulls threw the power curve which I like but the price hold me back because it will sit half the time...

But I do appreciate everyone help here
Thanks again
Skip :chainsaw:

the question becomes......is that 460 really 250 dollars better than the 372?

he did say it was for the big wood and we all know that particular stihl can pull a long bar no problem according to the left coasters.

but $610 for the husky is good. that come with a bar and chain?

but since i look at your price sheet you simply cant lose with that 395 at almost the same as a 77cc saw.

and you did say big wood.

enough flip flop'n..... i gotta say go for the 395.

(excuse me....i have to go out to my truck and apologize to my 660.)

yes the husky come with bar and chain... Does a saw dealer let you demo a saw I would like to try the 372xp and the 395...:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

That is a good price on the 372XP (if it's a new one), but I still think you're getting away from what the intended purpose of what this saw is going to be used for. You keep saying you want a saw for big wood, because your 039 is not enough saw for these jobs. Now I know the Husky/372xp crowd is going to stone me for saying this (becasue we all know the 372 was built by God himself), but I'm here to tell you the jump from your 039 to the 372xp is not a real significant one, not when it comes to dealing with 30" plus wood. You're wasting your money IMO on the 372xp as it doesn't fill a void in your lineup. If you only want a 70cc saw, buy the 372xp and sell your 039 to offset the cost of the new saw. Better yet, buy a 7900 and you'll have a saw that is just as light and more powerful than both of them, plus you could probably use it for everything w/o any issues. If you want a saw for truly big wood, the 372xp is not the saw for you if you already own a 039.

$1100 for a 660 is steep. $900 for a slightly used 660 might be a good buy, certainly worth considering since you are historically a Stihl guy. I haven't run a 395, but I've heard good things about it and I'm sure it will handle anything PA has to offer you in the way of big wood. Since the 395 is the cheapest of the large saws, that might be your best bet.

Just my 2 cents.

Go ask the dealer if they have a demo saw you can try out for the weekend. Best way to find out if you like it or not.

That is a good price on the 372XP (if it's a new one), but I still think you're getting away from what the intended purpose of what this saw is going to be used for. You keep saying you want a saw for big wood, because your 039 is not enough saw for these jobs. Now I know the Husky/372xp crowd is going to stone me for saying this (becasue we all know the 372 was built by God himself), but I'm here to tell you the jump from your 039 to the 372xp is not a real significant one, not when it comes to dealing with 30" plus wood. You're wasting your money IMO on the 372xp as it doesn't fill a void in your lineup. If you only want a 70cc saw, buy the 372xp and sell your 039 to offset the cost of the new saw.

I guess I would have to agree with this one, although there is some difference. Your 039 runs about what, 4.0hp? The 372 is 5.3 hp so you are going to notice the difference between the two but probably not enough to justify having both in your stable. I have run the 039, and matched up against the 372 in big wood you should be pleased with the difference. It depends on what you call big wood. I have cut wood that took a slice down each side with some left in the middle with the 372 pulling a 32 inch bar, but I would hate to do it all the time.
I would opt bigger or sell the 039 and get the 372. I have considered buying the 039 before to take the place of my 455, but instead I have decided to opt for the 357xp. Here is a link to a seller that still sells online, it has a good review with all specs on the current line up of Husky. Dont ask me why he is getting away with selling husky online, I have no idea, but his prices are good.

http://www.wisesales.com/Huskysaws.html

I just paid $750 for my 372xp so if you can get that price you said it is a very good deal. I cut firewood logs up to about 24" and you don't need any more power for that than the 372 @ 5.3 HP I have a 20" bar and I'm telling you it cuts like butter thru my Ash, Hard Maple and white and Red Oak. If you are cutting bigger than 24" maybe spend the extra couple hundred on the 395xp with 24" bar.

Ah, heck with it. Plop down a mere 1500 bucks and spring for the 3120 with a 42 inch bar and be done with it. Who cares if it weighs as much as a volkswagon and costs about the same.
Now you are talking BIG WOOD!! Havent cut any 80 inch wood before, but I am sure you can find some somewhere....

At $610 for a new 372XP there would be no question for me. That is truly an incredible deal. I gave $750 + tax for mine six months ago. Once you saw with a 372 you WILL NOT regret buying one.

A few here on this thread have touched on the 7900 or even the Solo 681. Both are fantastic saws for the money. I've been sawin all summer with the 681 and I really like it. Handles a 24" bar with ease and I'm runnin an 8 pin sprocket too. Either saw is probably the most bang for your buck and will tackle 90% of the big stuff. I ran a 32" bar on the Solo and it still pulled it with authority with a full comp chain.

real nice price on the 372. for the brief period i had one i had a 32" bar and skip chain for a bit. i buried it in oak and it did fine. that 372 was WELL used also. considering the prices you gave id opt for the 372 hands down. imo i dont thinik the other saws warrent the extra cost. well the only other saw i would consider as its the same price as the 372 is the 7900, ive heard almost nothing but great thing about the saw. if i get off my dead ass i can go run one and then ill know for myself.

That is a good price on the 372XP (if it's a new one), but I still think you're getting away from what the intended purpose of what this saw is going to be used for. You keep saying you want a saw for big wood, because your 039 is not enough saw for these jobs. Now I know the Husky/372xp crowd is going to stone me for saying this (becasue we all know the 372 was built by God himself), but I'm here to tell you the jump from your 039 to the 372xp is not a real significant one, not when it comes to dealing with 30" plus wood. You're wasting your money IMO on the 372xp as it doesn't fill a void in your lineup. If you only want a 70cc saw, buy the 372xp and sell your 039 to offset the cost of the new saw. Better yet, buy a 7900 and you'll have a saw that is just as light and more powerful than both of them, plus you could probably use it for everything w/o any issues. If you want a saw for truly big wood, the 372xp is not the saw for you if you already own a 039.

$1100 for a 660 is steep. $900 for a slightly used 660 might be a good buy, certainly worth considering since you are historically a Stihl guy. I haven't run a 395, but I've heard good things about it and I'm sure it will handle anything PA has to offer you in the way of big wood. Since the 395 is the cheapest of the large saws, that might be your best bet.

Just my 2 cents.

I still stand behind what I wrote. And since I've listened to so much of my own rhetoric, I've decided I'm going to go buy a new 7900 today! I can't wait to see how she stacks up this weekend against my other saws. :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back