Need work saw w/ readily available parts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemaster

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I need to get a new to me work saw. Something that is not too big or too small. I need this to be my workhorse for cutting firewood as I recently moved and heat only with wood. It needs to take a 20" bar and have readily available parts as I don't plan on tip toeing through the tulips with this thing. I would like to get a used saw because I don't have hundreds of dollars laying around.

What saw would you purchase for a used work saw with available parts?

Tele......

I would look into a Stihl 036 Pro. It is a great midsized saw, has excellent power, isn't heavy and can easily handle a 20" bar. My 036 is like a Timex, it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I wouldn't trade it for anything! It's my go-to saw as I have (6) of them and it's always the first one I'm looking for when I need a saw.

Don't really know about parts because I've never had a problem with any Stihl piece of equipment, and I own many. They are like anything else, it's all in how you USE them, not abuse them.

Craig

If you want a stihl:
ms310, 390 (or 311/391 if new) $500 new/ $200-300 used
ms361/362 $700 new/ $400-500 used
ms 441 or ms 460 $800-900 new/ $400-500 used

Stihl dealers are a dime a dozen around here. Sure that's the case in most places

Last edited:
This is good info. Keep the saws coming; it is giving me a lot to look at on eBay and the buy/swap thread.

Brand does not matter to me... a saw that, starts, runs, and is durable is what I am looking for. Now don't go and say a saw that starts, runs, and is durable is only ever xxxxx brand. I don't want to start a my saw is better than yours thread!

Baileys has the makita brand dolmar which is 64cc that will pull a 20 inch bar and bigger with no problems for $494.00. That saw will do everything you want it to and beg for More and then can be upgraded to a 84 cc big bore kit.

Last edited:
This is good info. Keep the saws coming; it is giving me a lot to look at on eBay and the buy/swap thread.

Brand does not matter to me... a saw that, starts, runs, and is durable is what I am looking for. Now don't go and say a saw that starts, runs, and is durable is only ever xxxxx brand. I don't want to start a my saw is better than yours thread!

If you're a newbie to the chainsaw world and/or chainsaws in general, I would recommend buying a new saw so you have a warranty to fall back on in case something happens. Then, as time goes along, keep an eye out for a nice used one and use it has a back-up. Some other good choices would be:

dolmar/makita 6401- $500 new
husqvarna 357xp, 359, 372xp- $700, $500, and $850 new

Husqvarna 555/562 xp (which haven't been released yet, but some members have already used the prototype and say its a screamer) $550/750 new

A 60cc saw is a good saw if you are going to run one saw. For a used saw I would go Husky 359, Stihl 036/360, Stihl MS390, in that order. Husky 357 might be good as well but I have no experience with one. Should be able to find good specimens of each for around 2-3 hundred. If you can spare a little more coin, go with a 044 or 372 like Gary says.

Jred 2165/husky 365 special are built on the same chassis as the 2171/372 and are a strong reliable saw.

I agree a husky 365 will pull a 20 inch bar all day long. could even go a little bigger when needed. Alot less money then its big brother the 372 husky. Lots of parts available now and in the future. In my area a nice 365 will bring 300. A nice 372 will bring 500. There is not 200 dollars in difference for a firewood saw. Best used saw for the money in my opinion.

I happen to have 372 xp, what a saw, but I did tons of work with my Stihl 026 pro, heck they still bring as much as I paid for one 15 years ago. It really depends on how much cutting you are going to do and what your cutting. You got to remember the weight you want to lug around. The Husky weighs aobut 15 pounds with a decient size bar, I dont know about the 044. The pro Stihls are usually a bit lighter in that size. Stihl and Huskys are a great saw, I only have one Husky, but it is the 372 xp, so I know it.

Heck buy one of each and have fun deciding for yourself.

Latest posts

Back