Needed a bigger saw. Can't afford new. Found a hardly used 064.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK. Luckily for you, that's not the CDIC coil. They're almost impossible to replace. And when they blow, you need to replace the coil and flywheel, as that wheel is only good for that specific coil.

You have either the Bosch 1122-400-1300 with the 1122-400-1201 flywheel, or the universal 0000-400-1300 coil with the 1122-400-1203 flywheel. Tough to tell between those two without pulling the coil and looking at the side of it. But that's easy - couple of bolts.

But now that the saw's working, you're golden anyway. Just remember the above stuff for future maintenance.

welcome to AS. i have thouroughly enjoyed your thread. not to be too big of a butt (even though i have one) but have one problem with it. i got dammed tired of opening your pix. now that you're here you gotta learn how to display pix. here is a helpful link. somewhat complicated but can be done. after all, i can do it. i've got this printed out and hung on the wall by my puter.
http://www.arboristsite.com/support-announcements/160059-3.htm#post3036316

welcome to AS. i have thouroughly enjoyed your thread. not to be too big of a butt (even though i have one) but have one problem with it. i got dammed tired of opening your pix. now that you're here you gotta learn how to display pix. here is a helpful link. somewhat complicated but can be done. after all, i can do it. i've got this printed out and hung on the wall by my puter.
http://www.arboristsite.com/support-announcements/160059-3.htm#post3036316

Thank you and thank you for the link. I had fun doing this and am looking for another candidate to rebuild.

View attachment 196604
View attachment 196605
attachment.php

attachment.php

How's that? :clap::clap::clap:

Ran it through some wood and played with the carb settings a bit. A quarter turn sure does change things. I have the L at 1 1/4 and the H at 1 and the LA a 1/4 turn more after the chain stops moving at idle. This saw pushed me over the edge with power :msp_scared: and I now own CHAPS! I have never injured myself before but I think the margin of error just got a whole lot less.

Looks great! I hope you didn't exceed your budget by too much. You certainly have increased the value of the saw!

I did exceed it....Total bill was $590.

If I was to do it over again I wouldn't have paid the initial price. Due to AS, I can now spot out problems a little better. I could have saved some money from the parts as well. My Stihl dealer ordered me 10 exhaust gaskets, one wrong buffer, and could not figure out the clutch drum. I had to order off internet, increasing costs because of shipping.

I am selling my junk on CL to cover costs for right now. I bought this saw for a specific job I got lined up which will pay over $800. I have also lined up one person to buy the wood after I cut it which will bring in even more money! The 064 will earn her keep.

I have recently won an auction on eBay that put me way over budget but well worth it. I planned on buying a larger bar/chains for around $120. Instead I got 3 Stihl ES bars 20" (plus 5 RSC chains), 25" (plus 5 RSF chains), 28" (plus 5 RSF chains) all brand new for $282.

I have recently won an auction on eBay that put me way over budget but well worth it. I planned on buying a larger bar/chains for around $120. Instead I got 3 Stihl ES bars 20" (plus 5 RSC chains), 25" (plus 5 RSF chains), 28" (plus 5 RSF chains) all brand new for $282.

That's a helluva DEAL man! You gotta tip me off on who you're buying from haha

well i am alittle behind and just read your post!! very helpful for me because there is a nasty dirty 064 sitting on my workbench right now!! I am gonna get some pics up and start a thread that way i can hopefully receive some help with mine. Anyway great thread and great job that saw is beautiful!!

well i am alittle behind and just read your post!! very helpful for me because there is a nasty dirty 064 sitting on my workbench right now!! I am gonna get some pics up and start a thread that way i can hopefully receive some help with mine. Anyway great thread and great job that saw is beautiful!!

Thank you. Everyone was a great help. This was my first rebuild job on a saw and couldn't have done it with out AS and their members. Through out the thread you can see good people offering their knowledge, parts, and willing to order parts for me. I have extra exhaust gaskets left over so if you want me to send you one, PM me your addy and I will slip it in the mail.

You should have your intake boot Friday or Saturday.
Thank you Brad. Even though it is running and idling it is still a little temperamental. Like after having it at max rpms and letting go of the trigger it will die. I have to slowly throttle down to keep it going. It also won't idle on its own until its warmed up. Maybe it does have an intake air leak and this boot will fix it?????

Update on this saw. In comparison to the MS650 that I bought, I liked my 064 better. It was lighter and less bulky. I sold the MS650 and had Randy (AKA Chimp with a Gun, aka Mastermind) give the 064 a woods port and a pop up piston. It is absolutely awesome. Runs better, sounds better, throttle response is so much better, its a new saw really. The 064 and the Efco 156 are the only two saws I use anymore.

MIKE

Update on this saw. In comparison to the MS650 that I bought, I liked my 064 better. It was lighter and less bulky. I sold the MS650 and had Randy (AKA Chimp with a Gun, aka Mastermind) give the 064 a woods port and a pop up piston. It is absolutely awesome. Runs better, sounds better, throttle response is so much better, its a new saw really. The 064 and the Efco 156 are the only two saws I use anymore.

MIKE

I'm really happy you're enjoying it Mike. I'm soon going to be building a 064 with a 660 BB top end. I'm planning a welded popup so I can keep the timing within reason. Should be a beast. :)

Latest posts

Back