New 346xp Husqvarna

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabberx

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up my new 346xp from my dealer this morning. NICE LITTLE SAW!
It is the e-tech with the cat muffler, You gentlemen that have these saws say to change muffler over to non-cat. What difference will I notice if I change over. Really wondering if I need to do that and if I do, do I need to readjust the carb? Getting ready to go cut a little wood right now to start to gettting it broke in. Reply's greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick

The cat causes the saw to run hotter, and is more restrictive. You should be able to allow the exhaust to flow more freely, which lets the saw rev more quickly, and run cooler. More power and longevity are the answers!

Great saw, BTW.

I'm lucky, my dealer has several NOS non-cat 346XP NE in stock. I just talked to him yesterday about taking one off of his hands. I can get powerhead only for $420 or complete saw with 16" bar for $450. Great little saws!

Scott

The cat causes the saw to run hotter, and is more restrictive. You should be able to allow the exhaust to flow more freely, which lets the saw rev more quickly, and run cooler. More power and longevity are the answers!

Great saw, BTW.

Yes, a truely great saw! :agree2:

Crabberx :

I also just got a new 346 with cat muffler, the cat muffler is no big deal.
Just took it off, removed the screen, bent the hood up so i could get a small drill under it, Drilled 3 small holes then used my dremel to grind a slot for more exhaust exit. then replaced the screen. it is important to bend the hood back down so you don't burn your top cover.
And as Mr Lakeside said re-tune your carb, I ground away the plastic sleeves on the carb so I had full control of my adjustments.
I have 350-353, and the 346, all great saws, the 346 is not broken in yet so cant say how much better it is than the other two. I still love my old ported 350 though.
Used my 372 today, and it blows the other three away big time.
Love my dogs.
Tread

Crabberx :

I also just got a new 346 with cat muffler, the cat muffler is no big deal.
Just took it off, removed the screen, bent the hood up so i could get a small drill under it, Drilled 3 small holes then used my dremel to grind a slot for more exhaust exit. then replaced the screen. it is important to bend the hood back down so you don't burn your top cover.
And as Mr Lakeside said re-tune your carb, I ground away the plastic sleeves on the carb so I had full control of my adjustments.
I have 350-353, and the 346, all great saws, the 346 is not broken in yet so cant say how much better it is than the other two. I still love my old ported 350 though.
Used my 372 today, and it blows the other three away big time.
Love my dogs.
Tread

Sounds like the cat is still there, but thanks for the idea! :)

My screen will stay out though - no need for it here.....

Sawtroll:

So far I have done 2 cat mufflers this way, resulting in much better throttle response, higher RPM s and more power.
Seems if you open up the muffler, the heat generated by the cat, and back pressure are a none issue.

Just been my experience any way.
Tread

Has anyone done the lakeside mod as described for the ms361 on the 346xp? If so, would the 1/2"hole with the 16mm screen be too big for the 346 or should you consider the 14mm screen? Also, what is the inside of that muffler like? Would it fit into a similar place like the lower left hand side?
Thanks.

I did the lakeside mod on a 346xp

I started with the etech version & frankly was not all that impressed. Then I picked up a Husky 350 muffler off ebay and did the Lakeside mod using the 1/2 inch bolt spacer.

It made a big difference. I am really impressed with this saw.

One stupid mistake, I didn't think before brazing! the pipe was lined up with the muffler bolt & it interferred with the screen.

Latest posts

Back