New 372XP followed me home..now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingeryote

Blueberry Baron
Reaction score
Long story short, There I wuz....

Nuzzy and I whittling on a black cherry and my 455 finally choked out.
I plumb wore out the original rim.

Finished the day with the litle MS250.

The next day I ran to the dealer who swapped out the rim, and while there we tuned the thing on the tach and ran a compression check.
Not good. Time to look for a new saw.

I have been eyeballing a MS361 just in case I got Cancer, or needed to cure a Zombie hoard of thier ailments anyway, so off I trodded to the local Stihl shop after eyeballing the $699 price tag on the 357xp and a $799 price tag on thier 372XP.

All the way to the Stihl dealer I was conflicted over the 361 vs the 372XP and the amount of and kind of cutting I have to do,and the $200 difference in price. Not to mention I am a long time Husky fan.

Got to the Stihl dealer, and he was CLOSED!!!!
That was it!!!
Intervention by the Swedish Saw Gods!!!!

Walked out of the Husky shop with the new 372XP for 750 bones total.

Now what?

It tached out at 13,800 during the prep. but I suspect thier Tach is a smidge goofy, and set the high a smidge rich just in case it is.

Nobody in the shop could tell me if it has a Cat Muffler or not, so I'm eyeballing the Bailys Muffler.

I likely wont port the thing seeing as how it's just going to be run hard cutting 10-20 cords a year, but the gains from a muffler mod would be fun.

Is the factory Muffler decent to Mod, or is the Bailys a better option?

Anybody see any gains running a 8 pin rim with a 20" bar and full comp?

Somebody here had a photo of a 372xp with a low profile air cover and I can't seem to find it, any chance one of you guys remember which thread it was in, or what saw it was from?
I like the look of the low profile cover, and it would keep me from putting silly flame stickers on the saw.

This thing has the damned compression release gizzy.
I have checked Bailys and can't seem to find the components needed delete it. What am I looking for?

I ran 1/2 a tank of mix through it so far cutting some 20" green Maple into rounds and a bit of limbing. Plug looked normal when done, and it seems to be on the path to settling in, though it does SCREAM when unloaded as the round falls and no 4 stroking. I suppose I should go new school and get a tach, seeing as how it probably has the limited coil(Made in sept 08').

Any advantages in running an unlimited coil on a unported Muff modded 372 other than not freaking me out when it's not 4 stroking, and for tuning?

Oh!!!
Factory chain... LOL!!!!
Must be some sort of new Chineese popcan steel.
It lasted that 1/2 tank and was shooting powder, but it's sandy here, and the wood bieng cut was good and icy with sand in the Ice..
It's either RM or wear out the files,with any saw here.

I still miss my 262, but the new 372 is therapy!!!:D
The 262 never screamed through wood like this thing does, and was never this dead calm and frozen lake smooth!! CRAP!! If it wasn't for the chips and noise, it's almost like it's not cutting..

The 455 will get beat on untill it dies a slow painfull death.
It's been a good Mule and has taken the flogging well, but now, I will actually allow the BIL to borrow it.;)

I did run several dozen searches so far, but any new ideas and input would be cool!
Thanks for any and all suggestions guys!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

P.S.
Am still gonna get a 361 sometime around the corner, just to keep the proctologist off my case. I'm getting old, and a 361 is a sure way to avoid the doctor and that dadgum glove!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

this thread is useless without pictures.......:angrysoapbox:

attachment.php

mine:heart:

Anybody see any gains running a 8 pin rim with a 20" bar and full comp?
My 372 w/ muffler mod runs an 8 pin on a 24" bar w/ fullcomp chain. I think it does a really good job. I for some reason prefer the 7 pin just because it seems a hint easier to control small face-cuts when felling sapling size trees with a slighlty lower chainspeed. Maybe it's just a mental thing for me ...dunno?

I likely wont port the thing seeing as how it's just going to be run hard cutting 10-20 cords a year, but the gains from a muffler mod would be fun.
Here's what I did to my 372 muffler wise. My 372 sounds better than my muff modded 390! Click the picture to go to the link.

Is the factory Muffler decent to Mod, or is the Bailys a better option?
I would say, save your money. If you've got the non-cat which I assume you probably do, brazing a 1/2" pr 3/4" pipe really seemed to make my saw come to life as they say. Not to mention it sounds absolutely amazing!
This thing has the damned compression release gizzy.
I have checked Bailys and can't seem to find the components needed delete it. What am I looking for?

Why would you want to delete the compression release?! I really like the feature:confused:

If it wasn't for the chips and noise, it's almost like it's not cutting..
Crazy smooth huh. You don't get that buzzy feeling in your wrists at all. I am in love with the 372's smoothness. Unlike anything I'd ever ran until I bought a 346 (grin)
ttiwwop.gif

:)

My 372 click here

Last edited:
Sorry for the no pics guys.

I loaded Kodak garbage software into this thing, and I have NO dadgum clue how to get things to quit fighting me when I want to do anything with photo's.

I gave up the last time I got a BSOD while trying to fart around.

Maybe tomorrow Nuzzy will catch her Dawgs deep in some nasty old Elm.:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for the Congrats!!!

Anybody got some tips for not getting cut while "Spooning" with the saw?
The wife just ain't talking to me about it for some reason, and it's almost bedtime. :D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

good choice on saw

you'll love the 372. it is a great saw. I love mine. have fun cuttin'. i'm deaf or somtin' cause i can never tell the 4stroking either, I got a tach just to be safe. A 60-90 buck tach is a small price to pay for saving a 750 buck saw.... kepp cuttin'.:greenchainsaw:

bar envy..hehe suprising that it'll pull it w/ full skip in cherry and ash with very productive results. I went back and re-edited my whole post as I have a habit of doing:cheers:

Last edited:
WHOA?

Are you running that full skip with a 7 pin on that bar?

Here I was shopping for a 28" Bar and wondering if I should go with full comp or not...

Y'all are a BAAAAAAD influence!

Thanks!

Dingeryote

RNchad,

I'm looking to dump the compression release because I never use it for one, and don't wish for it to leak on me in the future.

It's just another widget waiting to go bad at the wrong time IMO.

Besides, the thing pulls easy enough and it's just pointless that it's there.

Thanks for the info on the Muff Mods.

Looks like once it's broken in, and I get bored, I'll have to do some whitling and brazing on the factory Muffler.
I still don't know if it's a Cat model or not, but I am guessing not.

Thanks!
Dingeryote

WHOA?

Are you running that full skip with a 7 pin on that bar?

Here I was shopping for a 28" Bar and wondering if I should go with full comp or not...

Y'all are a BAAAAAAD influence!

Thanks!

Dingeryote

Yes, I am running full-skip w/ 32" bar. 7pin drive. 28"bar pulls full comp great!

Both of my 066BBs have compression releases, and my higher compression 660 doesn't. The 660 started in less pulls which prompted me to try the 066BB without, and they start easier as well.:dizzy:

Remove the CR mechanism and replace with a plug of the same thread.

As for mufflers, I wasn't aware that any 372s had CATs.

Having 20"' and 28" bars for a 372 seems reasonable to me.

Both of my 066BBs have compression releases, and my higher compression 660 doesn't. The 660 started in less pulls which prompted me to try the 066BB without, and they start easier as well.:dizzy:

Remove the CR mechanism and replace with a plug of the same thread.

As for mufflers, I wasn't aware that any 372s had CATs.

Having 20"' and 28" bars for a 372 seems reasonable to me.

Hmm...I'll have to look into deleting the compression release w/ a bolt + o-ring. Or bolt + teflon thread sealant? my 372 and 390 start in 3 or 4 pulls everytime if they don't in the first 2. Interesting....

No cat mufflers on the 372XP's. It is just an empty tin can. The compression release will help save the recoil starter from meeting an untimely demise. You will appreciate that little button even more if you have the saw woods ported and the compression is increased as part of the mods .

Attn. dingeryote:
I'd be careful around that Nuzzy. He used to use his saw to create snow sculptures that might raise an eyebrow or two. :D

Last edited:
Hmm...I'll have to look into deleting the compression release w/ a bolt + o-ring. Or bolt + teflon thread sealant? my 372 and 390 start in 3 or 4 pulls everytime if they don't in the first 2. Interesting....

I wouldn't use an o-ring as it likely won't take the heat. Better would be a copper crush washer under the bolt head.

I don't know the part number, but I used a Stihl OEM plug.(best choice)

The 660 is the only of my saws that has had the decomp deleted. I just don't generally use it on the others.

I wouldn't use an o-ring as it likely won't take the heat. Better would be a copper crush washer under the bolt head.

I don't know the part number, but I used a Stihl OEM plug.(best choice)

The 660 is the only of my saws that has had the decomp deleted. I just don't generally use it on the others.

Excess650, Appreciate it. I think I'll leave my decomp's on for now. I have no problems starting the saws. Thanks though!

No cat mufflers on the 372XP's. It is just an empty tin can. The compression release will help save the recoil starter from meeting an untimely demise. You will appreciate that little button even more if you have the saw woods ported and the compression is increased as part of the mods .

I'd be careful around that Nuzzy. He used to use his saw to create snow sculptures that might raise an eyebrow or two. :D

Urbicide,

Thanks on the No Cat info!!!

Empty Can eh? No baffles?
WOW!!!

That makes a Mod easy!!!:dizzy:

I dunno about the Comp. release easing up on the start mech.
I forget the thing is there and never use the thing.

Heck I don't even know if the one on the 455 works. I havn't used it once since I got it in 05'.
Teats on a Boar, but I see where you're goin. Especially if I have it ported, but I don't plan on any jug mods.

Just would hate for the thing to wear, leak, and then fry something precious, at speed, and cost big bucks to grumble over.

I like the idea of just a proper length machine screw, with some sort of bullet proof seal.

Now I'm conflicted again!!!
To delete, or not to delete...

I'm currently filing on a couple 20" loops for tomorrow, and for some reason my 20" loop of RM dosn't fit the bar guide well. Almost like the bar is too tight or slightly and evenly pinched. Wierd. The Oregon loops fit fine, and the RM fit's the 455 Bar fine.
Might just be needing some more break in.

Thanks guys!!!
Dingeryote

Back