New 372XP followed me home..now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently filing on a couple 20" loops for tomorrow, and for some reason my 20" loop of RM dosn't fit the bar guide well. Almost like the bar is too tight or slightly and evenly pinched. Wierd. The Oregon loops fit fine, and the RM fit's the 455 Bar fine.
Might just be needing some more break in.

Thanks guys!!!
Dingeryote

Check the guage of the chains and the bar. They need to be the same. The Husky bar should be either a .050 or a .058. The Stihl chain is either a .050 or a .063. If they both are the same, (.050) then check the drive links on the RM loop for damage. You can file or grind off burrs if you find them. If the loop is excessively worn then don't run it on your new bar. :chainsaw:

Check the guage of the chains and the bar. They need to be the same. The Husky bar should be either a .050 or a .058. The Stihl chain is either a .050 or a .063. If they both are the same, (.050) then check the drive links on the RM loop for damage. You can file or grind off burrs if you find them. If the loop is excessively worn then don't run it on your new bar. :chainsaw:

Pretty sure stock husky bars on the 372's are .050. My 24" and 28" are both huskies and .050 gauge.

Congrats on the Husky!!!! :cheers: And since everyone else is throwing out pictures of them. Here you go!

Husky372XPWandStihlMS290FB.jpg

Hmm...I'll have to look into deleting the compression release w/ a bolt + o-ring. Or bolt + teflon thread sealant? my 372 and 390 start in 3 or 4 pulls everytime if they don't in the first 2. Interesting....

I'd just use the proper plug.

The compression release will help save the recoil starter from meeting an untimely demise. You will appreciate that little button even more if you have the saw woods ported and the compression is increased as part of the mods .

LOL, ya, I agree. You should try to start my saw espicially when cold. Its got no decomp and fully modded, pop up piston, the works.

attachment.php

Congrtas on the new saw!

they are awesome saws.

i have never seen a CAT muffler on a 372.that doesn't mean there aren't any with them.a rule of thumb,CAT mufflers have CAT near the part # engraved on the muffler.usually at the end.i never had a problem with a decomp button leaking and i have had many 372s and 371s.it will save you starter pawls.

Urbicide,

Ya nailed it!!! Everything is .050 untill the caliper hits the end of the drive hook, where the 455's boogered up rim sprocket displaced about .010.

It figures. I switched from the 20" to the 18" B&C before the rim failed totally, munching every single rivet on the 18" RM chain.

So that POS ate up both chains. Added all together, one worn out rim on the 455 cost me over 100 Bucks!!:censored::censored::censored::censored:

I guess I could file all the drive hooks untill proper thickness, but the dimension on height would be off and would lead to silliness.

The 20" has about 4 sharpenings on it, the 18" has one!!! :censored:!!!!!!

I guess the Stihl dealer will get the loops for spares, and I gotta get another couple of chains in the morning, or run the dullomatic Oregon chains I have in the spares box.

Thanks again!
Dingeryote

Did somebody say 372XP pics were needed?

Well here you go!
saw1.jpg

saw2.jpg

"I like big dogs and I cannot lie, no other brothers can deny..."

Scott

Last edited:
The 372xp is a great saw. You might want to get a good tach and check your RPMs. I thought these saw were coming through with a limited coils at 13.5k. Depending on what bar you are running, I would shoot for 13k during breakin and then push it up to 13.8k.

All the way to the Stihl dealer I was conflicted over the 361 vs the 372XP and the amount of and kind of cutting I have to do,and the $200 difference in price. Not to mention I am a long time Husky fan.

Got to the Stihl dealer, and he was CLOSED!!!!
That was it!!!
Intervention by the Swedish Saw Gods!!!!

Could be Witchy from chainsaw heaven as well, even though she liked the 361.......:)

The 372 has never been made with a cat muffler, so no reason to worry.

13800 rpm sounds fishy, as the rev limiter should be at 13600.......:confused:

Max recommended rpms are 13500.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got the 372 Digeryote you will get a lot of work done with it thats a great saw with gobs of power!

Jmo here but I like the comp release, my saw is a 2001 and it has never givin me any problem fwtw.

I use the stock 7 pin and full comp 20" and its overkill engine wise its hard to slow it down, a sharp chain is a necessity or it just runs away.

You will be needing a 346NE next its like a a baby 372! :)

Kansas

You will be needing a 346NE next its like a a baby 372! :)

Kansas

I agree. The 346 is the next saw that you should get. I've got a 359 which is close to a 361 and since I've got my 372 I rarely start the 359. I always use my DCS 401 or my 372. A 346 is in my future.

Congrats on the 372 and I don't think you'll ever be sorry that you bought that saw.

I agree. The 346 is the next saw that you should get. I've got a 359 which is close to a 361 and since I've got my 372 I rarely start the 359. I always use my DCS 401 or my 372. A 346 is in my future.

Congrats on the 372 and I don't think you'll ever be sorry that you bought that saw.

Sounds like a good future! :)

Troll,

I can't say it wasn't,might have been,and cool if it was, so I'm just goin' with it!!

The Stihl dealer is normally open on Saturdays. Odd.

Ran another tank full of mix through it today. I'm liking it more than I already did. Noodled a bit of Cherry for giggles and just enjoyed burning through 10" rounds like they were tissues.

I am figuring the dealers tach was off a bit, and is why I turned the high adjust 1/4 turn richer than at highest reading untill I get a couple more tanks of fuel through it, and run again on a tach that is a known.

Not 4 stroking disturbs me so I'll be running things a bit rich untill I get used to the saw.

I dunno about a 346XP right now. Maybe a bit down the road when the little MS-250 finally succumbs to bieng used like a rented Mule.

Got a line on another bunch of trees and blow downs that a landowner wants to make go away, so it wont be long. Gonna be LOTS of limb work.;)

The 372 flat out screams with the RPM's. It's gonna take some adjusting.
Nothing that dead in the hands should make that kind of noise, and cut like it does. I'm liking it!

One negative though. It cuts fast enough that ya run outta wood too quick and then gotta start splitting. Need more Red Oaks to whittle on!

Thanks!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Nothing that dead in the hands should make that kind of noise, and cut like it does. I'm liking it!
Dingeryote

I couldn't believe it either. Crazy smooth. I'm soo stoked you'r loving yours already. I hated my 372 till it broke in. Then I was like WHAT?!? I could run this all day long.

I couldn't believe it either. Crazy smooth. I'm soo stoked you'r loving yours already. I hated my 372 till it broke in. Then I was like WHAT?!? I could run this all day long.

rngrchad,

Yep!! Lovin it!

I am still finding the point at which it can be pushed and bogging it here and there, but if allowed to just pull on it's own it's plenty fast.

I assume with break in, it will pick up some more grunt, and as I get used to the saw I will get in it's way of cutting less often.;)

I did notice that it drinks Fuel like a Marine drinks Beer on Shore leave though!
I got used to the MS250 having bottomless tank! LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Attn. dingeryote:
I'd be careful around that Nuzzy. He used to use his saw to create snow sculptures that might raise an eyebrow or two. :D

[Nuzzy enters room, reads quote]

Nuzzy: (whistles suspiciously)

[Nuzzy leaves room]

:laugh:

I am figuring the dealers tach was off a bit, and is why I turned the high adjust 1/4 turn richer than at highest reading untill I get a couple more tanks of fuel through it, and run again on a tach that is a known.

Not 4 stroking disturbs me so I'll be running things a bit rich untill I get used to the saw.

Well sh!t man, we shoulda just thrown my tech tach on it today! I'll have it with me tomorrow too. We can even hook up the cables for super accuracy :cheers:

And BTW, that saw flat out RIPS!! :rock::rock:

Back