New 395 XP has Front Tensioner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno, but it is one of the things I don't like about my 3120, sux for milling. That, the outboard clutch, and weight. Otherwise, it's perfect.

Mark

I thought the 395 had a side one, and I know that some did, but all the info I can find now points to a front one - no big deal imo, as I would take the 660 over the 395 anyway, because of the inboard clutch and excellent side tentioner on the larger Stihls.....

I thought the 395 had a side one, and I know that some did, but all the info I can find now points to a front one - no big deal imo, as I would take the 660 over the 395 anyway, because of the inboard clutch and excellent side tentioner on the larger Stihls.....

Never heard of it. I am used to the old style, first Husky I ran had it, a 266xp. And most of the others, 288s, 272s, 394s. They work fine, no big deal, harder to change the sprocket but thats about it. I don't think to much of the tensioner on Stihls, I have ran many of them to (and use my 200T all the time). With Huskies the chain stays where it is when you tighten the bar nuts, not so with some Stihls, when you tighten the nuts the chain gets tighter. and yes, I rest the bar tip on something when I do this, always. Where the screw is is really no reason to get your panties in a knot, Lakeside, Saw Troll and others with knowledge, does not the outside clutch keep heat away from the engine and the clutch runs cooler, exposed like that?

I frequently use a blow gun to keep my saws clean between uses. All my Homies have the inbd style and I can't see without removal what the clutch looks like.

Even if it did... Does the clutch need to run cooler?

I don't know Lake, thats why I asked. I just run 'em, thousands and thousands of hours and hundreds of chains filed to nothing. I just think about my job, I leave these things to the clever ones here like you who actually work on the saws, not with them.

I don't think they do.. and when an idiot user slips the clutch and dogs the chain.. both types get hot and screw up the springs and drums

I have only had one saw so far with a piss poor tensioner that tightens the chain like clearance stated. It is my 357.
My 372/375, 7900, 066, 084, used to have 361, dont do that.

In or out who cares, but have read alot lately about 025's 250's melting around clutches, must be us homeowners running the pizz out of them with dull chains. :cheers:

Back