New 395 XP has Front Tensioner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The point is that the rotating mass of the chain is closer to the lengthwise centre off mass, with an outboard clutch/inboard sprocket.

Not a really big deal, but it is there, and notisable......:greenchainsaw:

Personally, I don't care enough to skip the 361 with 8-pin as my main limbing saw, I think.

The smaller ones is mostly for fun, and smaller trees, where such details is more notisable.

Lets think about this for a minute. If the saw has an outboard clutch, the the mass of the clutch is farther away from center.

Lets think of a chainsaw like an airplane, since it can move through space in much the same manner.

It will rotate on three axis. Pitch (nose down or up), Roll (around a line drawn from the bar nose to the rear handle ), and Yaw ( around a line drawn down through the top of the saw)

The intersection of these three axis is the CG of the saw. When weight is placed along one of these axis, it affects movement. When the weight is placed farther from the CG it creates a higher polar moment of inertia. A higher polar moment of inertia slows acceleration around that axis.

An outboard clutch will give a higher polar moment of inertia, thus slowing movement in the roll and yaw axis. it will have no effect in the pitch axis.

Keeping all of the heavy stuff close to the CG is called Mass Centralization, and it makes items that people use with the hands easier to control.

As far as the "gyro" effect, here is a good article at wikipedia explaining spinning masses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession

Last edited:
An outboard clutch will give a higher polar moment of inertia, thus slowing movement in the roll and yaw axis. it will have no effect in the pitch axis.

This is true, but is more than offset by the bar being closer to the cg in such designs.

LOL - this is going in circles - even though it isn't a big deal - anyway I think the rotation of the clutch is a minor issue compared to the rotation of the chain, which is a minor issue by itself, but notisable......:cheers: :dizzy:

Try a new edition 346xp vs a 5100S, or a 353 vs a MS260, and you will understand what I say........:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Imo, this is only really relevant when cutting off a lot of small limbs in short order, like on a spruce, or the top of a birch - inboard clutches make more inaccurate results......

Last edited:
Inaccurate results? wacky... just plain wacky...

Nope, it actually makes a difference - I don't really care, for firewood, but some others here do, for other wood applications - the outboard clutch makes really accurate cutting easier....

...but as I said, no big deal at all for me, and the 361 with an inboard is my prime limbing saw......

Speaking about other saws, the NE 346 probably is the best limbing saw ever made for smaller wood, other issues notwithstanding, it is a lot more precise to cut with than the 361 and the 5100, but the 361 with 3/8"x8 is the Champ, for firewood birches....

Last edited:
LOL - this is going in circles - even though it isn't a big deal - anyway I think the rotation of the clutch is a minor issue compared to the rotation of the chain, which is a minor issue by itself, but notisable...

Imo, this is only really relevant when cutting off a lot of small limbs in short order, like on a spruce, or the top of a birch - inboard clutches make more inaccurate results......
Nope, it actually makes a difference - I don't really care, for firewood, but some others here do, for other wood applications - the outboard clutch makes really accurate cutting easier....
Timber for furniture etc, they don't want the bark scratched etc.....

:jawdrop: I am so lost on this one :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

So your saying that the gyro factor and aligning up the star's on a full moon on a cold night make the outboard clutch not scratch the bark...:dizzy: :dizzy: :confused: :confused:

What does a clutch have to do with scratching the bark??

I said it wasn't a big deal - did you forget that????? :monkey: :monkey: :angry2:

......but it is about presision cutting, but most "Stihl-heads" probably don't know what that is, as it isn't possible with any Stihl model......

Last edited:
I said it wasn't a big deal - did you forget that????? :monkey: :monkey: :angry2:

......but it is about presision cutting, but most "Stihl-heads" probably don't know what that is, as it isn't possible with any Stihl model......

I really would like to hear more about presision cutting.....Also what saw models your talking about....Post a link with the info so I can read more about it........

...but as I said, no big deal at all for me, and the 361 with an inboard is my prime limbing saw......

Speaking about other saws, the NE 346 probably is the best limbing saw ever made for smaller wood, other issues notwithstanding, it is a lot more precise to cut with than the 361 and the 5100, but the 361 with 3/8"x8 is the Champ, for firewood birches....

28" 044 is the ultimate limbing saw.

Mr. SawTroll I think you dug yourself a hole that you can't seem to get out of. First it was the gyro effect and that didn't seem to get you anywhere. Now its about precision cutting and scratching the bark. This also isn't getting anywhere. Whats next, an outboard clutch yields lower vibration and is quieter? ;) I have a feeling your having a tough time conceding the fact that husky should indeed put inboard clutches on all their saws.

Last edited:
Mr. SawTroll I think you dug yourself a hole that you can't seem to get out of. First it was the gyro effect and that didn't seem to get you anywhere. Now its about precision cutting and scratching the bark. This also isn't getting anywhere. Whats next, an outboard clutch yields lower vibration and is quieter? ;) I have a feeling your having a tough time conceding the fact that husky should indeed put inboard clutches on all their saws.

Well, as I remember it, this issue was discussed quite extensively at a German saw forum a while ago, and sure has some merit - but you are right that is isn't going anywhere here, so I just drop it........;) :pumpkin2:

....until someone else bring it up..... :laugh:

Last edited:

A precision saw to cut precision firewood to put into a precision fire to turn into ASHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back