New Chainsaw Purchaser

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update. Managed to find a Husky 55 and decided to go that route instead of the 455.

Will let you know how she feels when I break her in. Have some pretty thick wood to cut up for splitting this week.

Also managed to find a decent Husky 40. Would like some opinions on this old dog. She runs good. Was thinking of it as a trainer saw for my wife. Or should I buy the Echo 400 for her????

Arrgh!! I thought I could escape CAD. BUT... I see myself slipping down that slippery slope.

I am considering a couple of older saws for Myself and the boys to repair so I can teach them engine repair. Then they can learn to properly use THEIR OWN chainsaws. LOL.

Last edited:
Update. Managed to find a Husky 55 and decided to go that route instead of the 455.

Will let you know how she feels when I break her in. Have some pretty thick wood to cut up for splitting this week.

Also managed to find a decent Husky 40. Would like some opinions on this old dog. She runs good. Was thinking of it as a trainer saw for my wife. Or should I buy the Echo 400 for her????

Arrgh!! I thought I could escape CAD. BUT... I see myself slipping down that slippery slope.

I am considering a couple of older saws for Myself and the boys to repair so I can teach them engine repair. Then they can learn to properly use THEIR OWN chainsaws. LOL.

Getting the 55 was a good move IMO. Same power,much less weight(and probably cost).I was going to suggest a used 353 or 55 but was not sure if you were interested in the used route. I'd rather buy a used saw given the price difference vs.new. I can fix most any problem so no worries there. The 353 is superior to the 455 in many ways. I bought mine for about 200.00 on ebay. A bargain in my book. Good luck.

I dont mind used. The 55 was a good deal.

As I stated I am looking at a 40 and there is a 350 for sale here on AS I am talking to the owner about.

Just want to figure out a decent saw for my wife. The echo is in that category, cant really find anything on the 40, though the one I am checking out runs good.

By grabbing this 55 it freed up some cash to buy a 2nd saw.

If price is an issue for you check E-bay for the John Deere saws that are being cleared out. John Deere dealers now stock Stihl and they cleared out there leftover stuff through other sources. There chainsaws are made by Efco and are good solid machines. If you can find a CS56 that is the smallest prograde saw they made, and were for sale in your price range. The 36 and 40 were selling in the $150 range new. I've heard good reveiws on both. Another good choice for the second saw is the Ryobi 40cc. I bought a refurb for $119. Great little saw. They come with an 18'' bar and a oddball skip chain that was replaced with an old 14'' bar from a Poulan and a LP chain from Baileys. Screamin little saw for $130

Earlier this year the Deere pro saws were going for lees than 5 bills. I got a CS81 shipped for like $470

I dont mind used. The 55 was a good deal.

As I stated I am looking at a 40 and there is a 350 for sale here on AS I am talking to the owner about.

Just want to figure out a decent saw for my wife. The echo is in that category, cant really find anything on the 40, though the one I am checking out runs good.

By grabbing this 55 it freed up some cash to buy a 2nd saw.

The 40 is an older saw 2.4cc,2.4hp,10.8lbs. that adds up to a low power to wt. ratio and hard to find parts.The 55 is older too but lots of parts still out there for it.55 is 3.2cc,3.3hp,11.6lbs. built like a pro saw and should last a while if maintained right.For the wifes saw I would look at weight.

Ah and CAD symptoms have started.

Symptom # 1: Rationalization

LOL. Funny to... I did that all last week. LOL. I have rationalized that I need at least 3 saws. ROFL!!!! Even sold some gear to buy new SAW gear. LOL. I was happy to get the 55. The parts was an issue for me. Hence the Q's about the 40

She didn't have an issue with that POULAN Wild thing we got rid of (after 1 week)... And it weighed in at about 11 lbs (aside from it's piss poor cutting)

Hmmm. Oh well I can take my time. No massive hurry.

Like Paul said...
1 Cor 9:27
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

LOL.

LOL. Funny to... I did that all last week. LOL. I have rationalized that I need at least 3 saws. ROFL!!!! Even sold some gear to buy new SAW gear. LOL. I was happy to get the 55. The parts was an issue for me. Hence the Q's about the 40

She didn't have an issue with that POULAN Wild thing we got rid of (after 1 week)... And it weighed in at about 11 lbs (aside from it's piss poor cutting)

Hmmm. Oh well I can take my time. No massive hurry.

Like Paul said...
1 Cor 9:27
But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

LOL.

The 40 put out 2.5 HP according to acresinternet.com site. It looks like it later became the 41. If it runs good and has starts right up it should be a pretty decent saw for your purposes. I bought a used 45 that needed a new top end. I cleaned up cylinder and replaced the piston and that thing really runs great. It is rated at 2.7 HP and it really works well on the smaller stuff. If you can get the 40 for very little money,you really don't have much to lose. I was really surprised how much better my 45 cut than the Craftman's I had in the past. The 45 was my first Husky and even though it's just a small saw,I've been impressed with the brand.

CAD nipped at my heels today.

Just picked up a Stihl 031AV which needed work. our fuel into the plug hole and she starts and runs till the fuel is exhausted.

Compression is strong. She revs good (till she is out of fuel. LOL)

Seems like the carb to me. No fuel is being pulled out of the tank and when I placed my finger over the throat of the carb, she dumped all the fuel in the bowl. She was missing a bolt on the exhaust manifold. Doesn't seem like it has been for long as the manifold (?) face on the cylinder showed very little gas seepage discoloration.

Overall, saw is in decent condition. will Hit fleabay up for some parts and do this.

Just in case I might have missed anything.... Any other suggestions? Oh... Is the end cover (#27 in the repair manual) on the carb (Walbro) supposed to have a hole in it??? Seems kind of odd to me, but.... What do I know...

Saw has a 20" bar, very Nicely Balanced. Seems lighter to me than a bunch of this new stuff. Weird. Must be the balancing.

I was thinking of downgrading it to an 18" bar. Any suggestions on that as well???? Gonna do the RSC chain for certain.

What Sprocket do you suggest. I am thinking a 3/8" but not certain of what brand I should buy.

Still looking at a Husky 40, 350 and an Echo 400.

Last edited:
which ear muffs give 60db antennuation?

you really need to check with you closest HD rental center to find out when they are moving their makita saws off rental. you can buy one for jus over $200 and give your wife the 55.

which ear muffs give 60db antennuation?

you really need to check with you closest HD rental center to find out when they are moving their makita saws off rental. you can buy one for jus over $200 and give your wife the 55.

Yeah, most I've ever seen is 30db. I just read this thread, it's been like time-lapse photography watching b go from "I can't afford a Stihl" to full-blown CAD. May even be a record.

Jack

Got my hands on a walbro manua. Guess that cover should have a hole (Atmospheric Hole)

OPened the carb up, cleaned it up. Same deal. Put finger over venturi and fuel pumps.

Air leak somewhere. Ordered a rebuild kit (just in case)

Crazy. I am resisting the darkside. So far just 2. Well, Maybe 3. LOL. Boys discovered a little electric doohickey Mac ES-16 cute little puppy. Something else to fix. Oiler not working.

I promise. I'll stop at 4 saws. :help:

I had no Idea chainsaws and little 2 cycle motors could be so addicting.

may sound engineers know something we chainsaw users aren't privey to know.

Nah, we just spend more to protect our hearing.

And everything bugs us. Even these super Quiet Mac Pro's with the super slow, super silent fans....

show me muffs that give 60db of protection, i might go for a pair.

I'm wondering if 60dB isn't too much for awareness of 'warning' sounds? Still like the helmet combo anyway, so I'm happy with it's roughly 30dB.

bgiles might have to correct me here, but I just got to thinking that "soundblocking" [like plugs, muffs, vs. electronic canceling] protection is quite effective on high freqs like a chainsaw anyway.

Back