New climber advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RYNOMAGNUM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, I am wondering if I can use a new school saddle for old school technique .... My employer uses a 4D bossum saddle to spur their way to the top for removals.(All we do). They throw a True Blue across a natural crotch and tie in a blakes hitch using the same rope for positioning and descent .....

Can I incorporate a rope bridge saddle using their traditional technique? I like what I hear about the'' Ergovation'' saddle ,but wonder if this is an option for me? If so .....what is a good setup for my application? Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!

I can't see what difference it would make. Saddles all attach to a rope, either at one point, or two.

"Old School" climbing uses one attachment point, which is well suited to a rope bridge with a single attachment in the middle.

In order to tie "old school" to an "old school" saddle, you needed to snap the d-rings on either side together to the single snap attached to the rope. No real difference, from the rope's perspective.

I can't see what difference it would make. Saddles all attach to a rope, either at one point, or two.

"Old School" climbing uses one attachment point, which is well suited to a rope bridge with a single attachment in the middle.

In order to tie "old school" to an "old school" saddle, you needed to snap the d-rings on either side together to the single snap attached to the rope. No real difference, from the rope's perspective.

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to ask and make sure because my "crew" has never even :confused:seen a rope bridge....

I'm afraid I don't care for them very much, myself. I rely on the old fashioned D-rings on either side to keep me from twisting around due to gravity. While the rope bridge allows for a great deal more movement, it also is more demanding on your torso.

My torso told me it has had enough work, put the old saddle back on.

I'm afraid I don't care for them very much, myself. I rely on the old fashioned D-rings on either side to keep me from twisting around due to gravity. While the rope bridge allows for a great deal more movement, it also is more demanding on your torso.

My torso told me it has had enough work, put the old saddle back on.

Thanks for the response. I have been in the "company's'' saddle and find it a little weird to have my legs and knees crammed together. I hope another saddle will feel better personally. I am new to the climbing thing obviously , but I hope I can get more out of my hang-time experience.... I suppose to have a saddle coming in this week to try if I can make it to Vermeer before they close. I hope I can find a happy medium for me . Thanks again. I really do appreciate it.
, Ryan

In my experience with other climbers, the guys that feel like they are getting squeezed in the hips are smaller fellows, who are setting the butt belt too low; perhaps using a belt that is too large for them.

Ideally, a butt-belt will be held tight, right where your gluteous muscle meets your thighs. You need to tighten up the leg straps nice and snug. If the belt is riding lower on your butt than that, raise the waist belt, if possible.

MANY guys complain that the leg straps keep damaging the family jewels, and they leave them nice and loose. Wrong! This allows everything to slip around while you are climbing; eventually something gets uncomfortably pinched. Make everything snug, and then you will stay comfortable.

I went through this recently with a guy that had been climbing for 15 years. He was amazed to find that tighter is less crushing than looser.

MANY guys complain that the leg straps keep damaging the family jewels, and they leave them nice and loose. Wrong! This allows everything to slip around while you are climbing; eventually something gets uncomfortably pinched. Make everything snug, and then you will stay comfortable.

My genitals have sent you rep

i'd say for a new to the game climber the best belt bang for the buck would be the pinnacle by buckingham. has the bonsun seat and floppy d ring that will give you that rope bridge feel.... i know what you are looking for from your attachment to your saddle and this saddle is/will offer that feel you need. the seat is what sells this type of saddle because ,you as a new climber, will find your self sitting around a bit trying to figure out your next move will be and you may as well do it comfortably.

also. get your self 2 carabiners and a large swivel dog snap (thanks larry.) for your climbing system. the first biner you tie to your climbing line and dead end to the saddle. the second biner is for your hitch cord or splittail. the large swivel dog snap will advance your knot.

ask me about the split tail or hitch cord and i'll tell you to do a search. you want to climb better then have a look around.

but i promise you this once you climb on an open system you will never climb on a closed system by choice again.

plenty of loops and what not for gear storage on the pinnacle as well and the pinnacle deluxe is priced well enough that you will get many good years of use for the money spend. they are pretty rugged.

keep asking questions.

Get a rigid bosun seat for your saddle and your testicle squeezing will end. I migrated from the standard butt strap, which squeezes the jewels, to leg loops which are uncomfortable when suspended for a few minutes, to rigid bosun which is the most comfortable.

More info on this please???????!!!!!!! How the hell does that happen?

Todd, you can read about it in awakenings on that buzzy site. I thought it was kind of funny that he still raved about that harness even after loosing a testicle... :dizzy:

saddles

Maybe he needs to lose both nut. Or get off the crack! Talking a saddle up after being half neutered! No nuts!! = No brains! Ditch the leg strap style crap. Theres enough thing to worry about at work.

i'd say for a new to the game climber the best belt bang for the buck would be the pinnacle by buckingham. has the bonsun seat and floppy d ring that will give you that rope bridge feel.... i know what you are looking for from your attachment to your saddle and this saddle is/will offer that feel you need. the seat is what sells this type of saddle because ,you as a new climber, will find your self sitting around a bit trying to figure out your next move will be and you may as well do it comfortably.

also. get your self 2 carabiners and a large swivel dog snap (thanks larry.) for your climbing system. the first biner you tie to your climbing line and dead end to the saddle. the second biner is for your hitch cord or splittail. the large swivel dog snap will advance your knot.

ask me about the split tail or hitch cord and i'll tell you to do a search. you want to climb better then have a look around.

but i promise you this once you climb on an open system you will never climb on a closed system by choice again.

plenty of loops and what not for gear storage on the pinnacle as well and the pinnacle deluxe is priced well enough that you will get many good years of use for the money spend. they are pretty rugged.

keep asking questions.

Ok, I am fixing to buy the Pinnacle Deluxe after a hard look at it. I have climbed more over the last few weeks and think you have given me some excellent advice!

I am also looking into the "Single-Eye tail Blake's hitch" set-up. Would you incorporate a micro pulley or Hitch Climber into this with the large swivel dog snap?

Would a 10mm split-tail work good with my 13mm True Blue climbline? I'm looking at the Grizzly-Spliced Bee-line Black at Sherrill offered in 8 or 10mm...

I am trying to find the right system and I believe I am getting close.... Thanks for any advice!

,Ryan

what exactly will u be using for a friction hitch is the question

isomtimes use 11mm blaze to tie a blakes on blue streak and dont have any probs

I have a Komey Butterfly saddle.

been using 8mm beeline for a bridge last three years. Works fine and I weigh 225.

been using 8mm beeline for a bridge last three years. Works fine and I weigh 225.

Glad to hear I'm headed in the right direction as far as the Bee Line! How you been Fishercat? What hitch are you using? I'm about ready to gear up for myself and its a lot of decisions with all the stuff that's available on the market.....

id rethink BEEline for a open hitch ,i took my 10mm beline that i used for a distel and tried a blakes and jesus b christ it locked tighter than f.knox

Latest posts

Back