New Dolmar 60cc strato saw, PS 6100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't get me wrong, the 7900 is just genious ! A bit ugly and even more with dogs...but the saw itself :rock: The 6400 not, it's same weight with much less power, no need for such a saw...unless it's sold cheap.

big bore kits are only $90 here... Makes a 6400/6401 a 84cc saw real quick, real cheap!

Let's not forget the fact the 6400 has the same stroke as a 7900 and will run with or outrun many 70cc saws + as others said you can mount a 79cc jug on one in a few minutes. Anyone that calls the 6400 useless hasn't ran one, and simply is judging it from a spreadsheet, not experience.

Having a saw about the weight of a 5100 with added power and a much lower price than it competitors 60cc saws, is a pretty obvious win. Even if the saws not at the top of it's class in design, it's still competitive and again affordable.

I noticed that it doesn't have any thru holes in the fins to access cylinder bolts. Thought that usually indicated a clamshell design. In one of the pics you can see the threaded end of a bolt peeking thru the bottom of the cylinder base. Hope it's a homerun for Dolmar, as I really like them.

I noticed that it doesn't have any thru holes in the fins to access cylinder bolts. Thought that usually indicated a clamshell design. In one of the pics you can see the threaded end of a bolt peeking thru the bottom of the cylinder base. Hope it's a homerun for Dolmar, as I really like them.

You can see that it's a vertically split case, gasket and all and it's obviously a prototype. Furthermore the case looks to be based on the 5100, and the air filter looks like a step in the right direction, likely better than any option husky offers. I feel that if this saw isn't rushed out too early and proper reliability is established, it will be a hit.

Looks great. A late 50 cc would impress me more but whatever.

Its a shame that my Dolmar dealer is probably the worst I had. Makes my Husky dealer look like they know a lot.

Let's not forget the fact the 6400 has the same stroke as a 7900 and will run with or outrun many 70cc saws + as others said you can mount a 79cc jug on one in a few minutes. Anyone that calls the 6400 useless hasn't ran one, and simply is judging it from a spreadsheet, not experience.

i have even ran a 6400. And then a 7900. Same weight, same handling, but the power...:rock:
See, you are right saying that it can easily beeing upgraded and it's a real good, underrated saw especially if you are a saw tuner. But in my eyes it doesent make any sence for Dolmar to sell a "small" saw in a big package by discounts. The saw itself may not be useless, but i don't understand the strategy...
The 7900 was top of it's class in the sheet and in real, the 6400 is a good bucking saw, but to haevy and can only be sold with big discounts. For what else reason would one take the 6400 instead of the 7900 ?
Max

I tried to take a look at that 6100, but somehow I've been permanently banned from there. This is funny because I've never been to that site before! Oh well, F'em if they can't take a joke.

I don't see a need for a 60cc saw in their line up at that weight, Dolmar's advantange has always been weight/power ratio, i.e. 7900,
6400, sure doesn't have any eye appeal, but the pleated air filter sure looks like an improvement, much more surface area.
Hope this isn't going to be a trend with new Dolmar models. Have to agree with SawTroll on this one.

I don't see a need for a 60cc saw in their line up at that weight, Dolmar's advantange has always been weight/power ratio, i.e. 7900,
6400, sure doesn't have any eye appeal, but the pleated air filter sure looks like an improvement, much more surface area.
Hope this isn't going to be a trend with new Dolmar models. Have to agree with SawTroll on this one.

THIS...

230353d1332519151-heavyweight-jpg

Is eye appeal...

Right, power to weight isn't great (even if the weight should be true this time), and the looks just sucks! :msp_sleep:

Looks like you better hang onto it, but another one NIB up on the shelf, if the 6100 is going to be the new trend. They sure look better in the red and black vs the Makita colors.

Awe.... C'mon... Tell me this ain't a thing of beauty...
It's got it's work clothes on!!!

231918d1333379614-re-fueling-station-jpg

That blue will grow on ya...
:hmm3grin2orange:

And yeah... The 6100 don't have the "sexy" thing goin on... Hopefully that will change...

Awe.... C'mon... Tell me this ain't a thing of beauty...
It's got it's work clothes on!!!

231918d1333379614-re-fueling-station-jpg

That blue will grow on ya...
:hmm3grin2orange:

And yeah... The 6100 don't have the "sexy" thing goin on... Hopefully that will change...

If it puts out the looks can be over looked. I mean the 7900 has proven that. JMO:biggrin::biggrin:

Back