New Dolmar 60cc strato saw, PS 6100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't get me wrong, the 7900 is just genious ! A bit ugly and even more with dogs...but the saw itself :rock: The 6400 not, it's same weight with much less power, no need for such a saw...unless it's sold cheap.

You and I will have to agree to disagree on this subject.
I have a 6400 and it is one of my favorite saws by far!
The power of a 70cc saw at the cost of a 50cc saw!

The weight isn't a factor for what I use it for. If I were trying to limb with it, it might be a different story, but I have better limbing saws.
I have found that most of the people who don't have a deep respect for the 6400 are those whose only knowledge of it comes from reading a sheet of paper.

Mike

You and I will have to agree to disagree on this subject.
I have a 6400 and it is one of my favorite saws by far!
The power of a 70cc saw at the cost of a 50cc saw!

The weight isn't a factor for what I use it for. If I were trying to limb with it, it might be a different story, but I have better limbing saws.
I have found that most of the people who don't have a deep respect for the 6400 are those whose only knowledge of it comes from reading a sheet of paper.

Mike

Sort of like the Jonsered 2165, has a loyal following around here...Some guys could give a rip less about 2171 or husky 372.

I think it's hard for some to wrap their heads around the fact the we're hard core saw elitists. Let me ask how many of you would buy a FarmBoss? Now I'll ask you how many FarmBos saws does Stihl sell? I don't know the hard numbers, but I would bet Stihl sells more of them than their pro saws by a huge margin.

The 6400 actually makes perfect sense if you let logic inter into the equation. You have a overbuilt pro saw that is overkill for 99.9% of the people on earth, + it's more formidable and capable than any 50cc saw ever made. The Dolmar dealers that I've met {like with the FarmBoss} sell more 6400 and 510 than they do their higher end counterparts. My friends the manufactures know what they're doing more than a group of elitists typing away on the internet. They have the sales numbers and they know the market, and the 6400 is a much bigger chunk of that market than the 7900 ever will be, just go to any HomeDepot, or have a look on Ebay.

Last edited:
I think it's hard for some to wrap their heads around the fact the we're hard core saw elitists. Let me ask how many of you would buy a FarmBoss? Now I'll ask you how many FarmBos saws does Stihl sell? I don't know the hard numbers, but I would bet Stihl sells more of them than their pro saws by a huge margin.

The 6400 actually makes perfect sense if you let logic inter into the equation. You have a overbuilt pro saw that is overkill for 99.9% of the people on earth, + it's more formidable and capable than any 50cc saw ever made. The Dolmar dealers that I've met {like with the FarmBoss} sell more 6400 and 510 than they do their higher end counterparts. My friends the manufactures know what they're doing more than a group of elitists typing away on the internet. They have the sales numbers and they know the market, and the 6400 is a much bigger chunk of that market than the 7900 ever will be, just go to any HomeDepot, or have a look on Ebay.
That's the sad part of the story, and it gets worse when the dealers push those saws, as they likely make more money that way.....:msp_angry:

That's the sad part of the story, and it gets worse when the dealers push those saws, as they likely make more money that way.....:msp_angry:

No my friend, most people simply don't need or want a 600 or 1,000 dollar saw to cut a few downed branches or a few cords of wood a year. Dealers sell, what sells, most people are not going to buy the type of saws we do, they have no real reason to.:)

No my friend, most people simply don't need or want a 600 or 1,000 dollar saw to cut a few downed branches or a few cords of wood a year. Dealers sell, what sells, most people are not going to buy the type of saws we do, they have no real reason to.:)

Well, 1000 USD may not get you a pro saw from Stihl here, except the 241 and 201 - and it surely won't be enough for a Husky one - Stihl surely is the cheaper pro saw brand here - but I mostly pay what the Huskys cost. dolmar prices used to be somewhere inbetween when they were imported here, but closer to Husky level that Stihl level. Regarding lesser than pro saws, the picture is way different though.....

Offering different displacement saw models on a common chassis is not all that different from going to the car dealer and being able to choose from 3 or 4 different engines for your pick-up truck or car. Not everybody needs a Cummins or a PowerStroke under the hood. If the overall design of the saw is sound, as in the case of the Dolmar "7900" family, then we have three decent saws to pick from. The type of buyer that Andre is talking about does not need to, and would never see the logic, in spending an extra $200-$300 to be one second quicker through a 12" firewood log.

Dolmar's problem is less the fact that the 6401 is on that frame, and more the fact that beyond that chassis, they have very few models that stand out in the crowd. Even on a site like this, hardly anything else ever gets talked about.

Offering different displacement saw models on a common chassis is not all that different from going to the car dealer and being able to choose from 3 or 4 different engines for your pick-up truck or car. Not everybody needs a Cummins or a PowerStroke under the hood. If the overall design of the saw is sound, as in the case of the Dolmar "7900" family, then we have three decent saws to pick from. The type of buyer that Andre is talking about does not need to, and would never see the logic, in spending an extra $200-$300 to be one second quicker through a 12" firewood log.

Dolmar's problem is less the fact that the 6401 is on that frame, and more the fact that beyond that chassis, they have very few models that stand out in the crowd. Even on a site like this, hardly anything else ever gets talked about.

Exactly...
For an example, I give you...
John Deere

4440,4640,4840 models... All built on the same platform...
range from ~140 - 180 HP...
Guess which model was the biggest seller???

The PS-6100 is now on the German website, with more pics and specs. I'm really liking the air filter setup, plus it apparently has some type of pre-filtering system.
DOLMAR - PS-6100

pretty cool....13.2 lbs vs a 562 which weighs in at 12.6 lbs and 4.55 hp vs 4.7hp for a 562....truth will be out in the field and the woods not in the numbers...

More than anything im curious if this is a strato or will come to the US heavy equipped with a cat

I know in most cases these cats are removable but it's, at the very least, an added and inevitable expense that accompanies the saw

The PS-6100 is now on the German website, with more pics and specs. I'm really liking the air filter setup, plus it apparently has some type of pre-filtering system.
DOLMAR - PS-6100

That filter reminds me of an Echo chainsaw but I think that it will be a good setup. It should be an improvement over the flocked filters on my 5100 and 7300.

So I wonder what the price may be over here in the US? I would guess $599.00?

No idea, for that matter we don't even know if it's destined for the US market. It most like will show up here eventually, if I had to take a stab at it I'd say fall of 2015:rolleyes:

Looks like it has to me, but they don't look very user friendly.
I have to ask what's not user friendly about these? 3 quick snaps away from the entire top end of the saw?? side chain adjuster and inboard clutch making rim swaps easier???

Right, power to weight isn't great (even if the weight should be true this time), and the looks just sucks! :msp_sleep:
true 13lbs for 60cc isn't the best but with a muff mod this thing might be able to out cut a 6400??? who knows until someone gets one!

x2 no kidding...
Dealer "hey this $300 Farmboss will do everything you need"
Buyer "cool thanks, i'll buy it!"
=======3months later down the road========
Buyer "hey man my saw is toast and I used synthetic oil and all"
Dealer " you must have miss mixed or forgot to mix the gas right"
Buyer "no way I did everything just like the manual, give me a new saw or fix this one!"
Dealer "no way, go buy a new one off the shelf we can't do anything about user abuse."

40% profit on several saws is more than, profit on 1 pro saw and the few bucks in repairs. Shops have to pay over head on the shop and technicians... Plus this way they can make their dealer REPs happy by selling more units!
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: Dummies! I see this all to often no matter what

That filter reminds me of an Echo chainsaw but I think that it will be a good setup. It should be an improvement over the flocked filters on my 5100 and 7300.
I think that filter will probably help sell quite a few of those. Air filtration is something that only Husky has been really good at but if Dolmar starts switching over to these pleated air filters I'm definatly lovin that! I wonder what they are using and if you can clean these filters with water/soap??? I'm sorry but flocked air filters are a thing of the past. I have been using a professional hot melt glue gun to add synthetic felt to my old flocked filters. Cheap fix and they are cleanable and reusable that way...

No idea, for that matter we don't even know if it's destined for the US market. It most like will show up here eventually, if I had to take a stab at it I'd say fall of 2015:rolleyes:
That's stupid! LOL... I guess that tells us that it will be Fall 2017 before we see the new 90-100cc Dolmar...

So I'm forgetting... Is this 6100 a Cat or not? the "SAS" has me wondering... I got money that says this saw will push closer to 5hp with some tweaks and mods!

I do know someone in Germany in the Military... He could probably snag me one and ship it military freight so we can get a look at one early! Wonder what it would cost...??? Also have to wonder if Makita will just bring it over in Blue colors????

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back