New guy, first post and I need advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here and this is my first post and I am looking for some advice on chainsaws, specifically pole saws. As most of you prolly know, Springfield Missouri and the surrounding areas suffered our worst ice storm ever and it has left its horrible scar on our treescape. I am looking to buy a pole saw to take care of some of my own trees as well as those of my parents who are elderly. I have found a Technics Tool Corp. TT-21A power pruner but I don't know a thing about this brand or this model. Never heard of them before. I did google it and found that they were aquired by ECHO back some years ago. Does anyone know if this model of pole saw is a good one? I had pretty much decided on a new Stihl, their biggest one that extends but if I could find a good used one I would be okay with that. I've got ECHO brand weedeaters that I use in my lawn business and they've been okay. I don't want to spend a fortune but like my dad always told me, good tools are worth the money in the long run. Thanks for any and all advice and I apologize for the long post.

We have an Echo 26cc Pole saw at work and have had good luck with it.However I know of another who has the Stihl model that has a powerhead that takes other attachments,its powered by the new Stihl 4power 4 stroke and it is the best Ive seen,Especially with the angled gearbox.

We have an Echo 26cc Pole saw at work and have had good luck with it.However I know of another who has the Stihl model that has a powerhead that takes other attachments,its powered by the new Stihl 4power 4 stroke and it is the best Ive seen,Especially with the angled gearbox.

The stihl extendable units (currently HT101, 131, and the old HT75) don't have the solid steel driveshaft and CANNOT be used with other attachments (esp the hedge clipper) you will you will damage the splines on the shaft. If he's got the other attachments on his stihl he probably has a fixed length n HT or HL 100 unit, these models along with the 4 mix models of solid shaft trimmers (FS90R, 110R, 130R, KM90R, 110R, 130R) can use all the atachments.

If your looking for just an OK pole saw, craftsman makes a decent one for the money. But i'd prolly spend the money and get a name brand.

We just recently got a Stihl HT101

It runs well and seems to have good power to weight ratio. I have only used it 2, maybe 3 times, I guess only time will tell.

Anybody else got any info on this particular brand of saw or any other brand of pole saw for that matter. I've pretty much ruled out the Poulan and the Husky since they dont extend so I'm not sure what that leaves me other then the Stihl. Does Johnsered make a pole saw? I've got a 2054 turbo chainsaw and its a dandy.

I had an echo and still use a ht-75 stihl. for my money, if I need another it will be an echo.
-Ralph

I have an older Ht-75 Stihl. Good saw, no problems.
Be careful with a pole saw if you are not familar with them, very easy to get in "over your head" (pun intended!). People tend to cut whatever branches they can reach, even if it means standing on your tippy toes and extending your arms all the way out, thus ending up cutting a branch with the saw vertical instead of angled. This will cause pinching, the operator pulling on the saw, ripping it in half and dropping the branch on their unprotected head!
If you get a straight head pruner, I would look into getting this bar for it.
http://www.cannonbar.com/index.cfm?method=pages.showPage&pageid=bcff0c58-3479-f36a-f374-38fc232b9897
This will force the operator to stand off to the side of the cut. It won't make up for complete ignorance but it's a start.
A good hardhat with integral face shield is a must, as well as safety glasses/goggles. No matter where you stand, the wind will always blow the sawdust in your face.

Ed

The Echos are the best and a bit cheaper than the Stihls. The main thing is the sturdy pole, compared to other brands.
I'll be honest with you though, a high quality hand powered pole-saw is a much better tool in most cases. I'm not talking about the cheapo saws sold at the local hardware store, I mean a Silky.
You'll get much more reach, do much better cuts, they are easy to carry around, you don't have to mess around with starting or fueling them, they cut just as fast and in most cases faster. When I first started using this new generation of handsaw, I was amazed at how fast and easy they cut. For the kind of work you describe, a hand pole-saw is a better tool.
Those gas powered saws are a handful to use, a pain to start, do crappy cuts, tend to get stuck, are fragile, parts are expensive, and are always just a little too short.
Then when you are done using it, it sits around for a couple years until you need it again, and then it won't start because the gas has gone stale and the carb is all gunked up.

Mike you said that you have one of those pruners. Are you referring specifically to the Technic TT21A or just powered pruners in general? If you have to TT21A can you tell me more about it? Thanks

Yes, that saw. Its much like the Echo, but a different power head. It doesn't have an oil tank so you have to manually add a few drops of oil after a few cuts.
They were expensive when new, like $600 or more, but when others started making them the prices dropped.
The newer saws are starting to add bigger motors, which is nice but not necessary. They also have onboard oilers, which is also nice, but adds weight to the tip.
I've had trouble getting parts, for example the gas cap broke, I had to go around looking for a similar cap on other tools.
You'd have to talk to an echo dealer to see what parts you can still get.

The Echos are the best and a bit cheaper than the Stihls. The main thing is the sturdy pole, compared to other brands.
I'll be honest with you though, a high quality hand powered pole-saw is a much better tool in most cases. I'm not talking about the cheapo saws sold at the local hardware store, I mean a Silky.
You'll get much more reach, do much better cuts, they are easy to carry around, you don't have to mess around with starting or fueling them, they cut just as fast and in most cases faster. When I first started using this new generation of handsaw, I was amazed at how fast and easy they cut. For the kind of work you describe, a hand pole-saw is a better tool.
Those gas powered saws are a handful to use, a pain to start, do crappy cuts, tend to get stuck, are fragile, parts are expensive, and are always just a little too short.
Then when you are done using it, it sits around for a couple years until you need it again, and then it won't start because the gas has gone stale and the carb is all gunked up.

Excellent advice Mike. I think people tend to forget there are still manual tools available that do as good or better, are cheaper, and less hassle to maintain and own.

jaytee, I have an older Technics Tool pole pruner model (B024?). Its an ok tool, fixed shaft and light but its biggest detraction for the volume of work that needs to be done now is the lack of self/auto oiling.
After some research on this sight I was leaning towards buying one of the new Echos but when I looked on their website there were only two dealers listed I considered in close enough proximity to check with, one in Springfield and one in Bolivar. I have bought a few parts at the Springfield dealer and was never impressed with how they treated their customers, I called them and got a message machine, left an inquiry as to if they had a unit on hand and cost, still have not heard back from them and have crossed them off as a source. I have bought parts for some of my old Dolmars at the Bolivar dealership and was impressed with their quality of knowledge and service, and the size of the shop. If they were not a 40 minute drive for me I would have most likely purchased there.
Ended up buying a Sthil as there are 2 dealers, one 7mi. east, and one 7mi. west of me. Decided to buy from the small town dealer to the west. Went out to pickup A HT101 and they were out (said he's selling them as fast as he gets them in) so picked up a HT131 he had on hand.
If you want to PM me and I can get you my cell# , you would be welcome to come out if you want to get some actual hands feel of what I have if that would help you with your decision.
Regards, Swannie

Latest posts

Back