New guy wanting a big saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroncoRN

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm a newbie living in FL looking for opinions on a 70+ cc chainsaw. I've been lurking here for a while reading and doing some research. Currently I have an Echo cs440 with a 20" bar which has served me well but I want a saw with some more balls. Not really out of necessity but pretty much because I want one :). I'm not really a professional just a homeowner with a lot of toys. I'm looking to spend $400ish. I recently missed a stihl 044 for $195 which sucked. Locally I have stihl and echo dealers. I've found a husky 2100xp for $400 and of course I'm watching eBay but that kinda worries me.

Any and all advice/comments appreciated!

Just hang out here for awhile. Plenty of saws 70 + cc listed in the classifieds. Roanoker494 had a 044 there for $350, might be what you are looking for.

Anybody who posts here all the time is not going to screw you over in the AS classifieds.

Be careful with Ebay......

2100xp is a great old saw but 2.5 times as heavy as your echo. I usually grab my 372xp for everything. Old saws are hard to find parts for. A 044 or 440 are both great saws with high resale value (even if it is broken).

Ambull said it all. My son picked up an old garage stored 70cc John Deere cheap, that was bought new by the man's wife to trim a backyard tree one time.

I've been real happy with my echo. Bought it in 2005 and never had any issues, knock on wood. I bought it and cut up a downed tree after the hurricanes. Since then I've used it to clear back yard at previous house and cut down bushes which had become trees at the house we just purchased - came out to 10 trailer loads in a 6x12 trailer!

If you have a stihl dealer nearby then go with a stihl. The 440, 441 and 460 are really nice saws. Keep you're eye out for a good used one. Like others said, they hold there value very well. EBay is scary to me and there's alot of unknown there. Craigslist has worked for me. If your going to drop that kind of money you want to see it run and look it over.

Latest posts

Back