New MS 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredd

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am new to Site and just bought a new Stihl MS 260. Had originally ordered a Husqvarna 450e from Sears, but cancelled it after reading the negative posts from this forum. After visiting a local dealer that carries both Stihl and Husy, I decided on the 260 with 16 blade. Almost went for the 270 for $70 less, but liked the feel of the 260.

I enquired on the Husqvarna 346 XP and the Dealer did not recommend it for a novice cutter like me. He said it accelerates very quickly, has a very steep power curve, and would not be comfortable for a novice to handle.

First cut was a 14" cherry tree in the back woods that had broken near the base and leaning on a neaby oak. The 260went thru it like butter. Man that is a smooth saw.

Would appreciate some tips for downing a 16" oak tree (dead). It's about 20 feet from the house, but sits atop a steep incline and gravity pushes it toward the house. There is an opening away from the house, but would have to fight gravity somewhat. Also scared of the remaining branches falling while cutting, which are about 60 feet high. Would it be best to use a 28 ft ladder and take down the upper part of the tree with a hand saw, or just take it down at the base with the chain saw and watch for falling debris?

I am new to Site and just bought a new Stihl MS 260. Had originally ordered a Husqvarna 450e from Sears, but cancelled it after reading the negative posts from this forum. After visiting a local dealer that carries both Stihl and Husy, I decided on the 260 with 16 blade. Almost went for the 270 for $70 less, but liked the feel of the 260.

I enquired on the Husqvarna 346 XP and the Dealer did not recommend it for a novice cutter like me. He said it accelerates very quickly, has a very steep power curve, and would not be comfortable for a novice to handle.

First cut was a 14" cherry tree in the back woods that had broken near the base and leaning on a neaby oak. The 260went thru it like butter. Man that is a smooth saw.

Would appreciate some tips for downing a 16" oak tree (dead). It's about 20 feet from the house, but sits atop a steep incline and gravity pushes it toward the house. There is an opening away from the house, but would have to fight gravity somewhat. Also scared of the remaining branches falling while cutting, which are about 60 feet high. Would it be best to use a 28 ft ladder and take down the upper part of the tree with a hand saw, or just take it down at the base with the chain saw and watch for falling debris?

I don't know if I'm qualified to comment...but if you're a raw rookie with using a saw and falling trees, I'd definitely get a pro to fall the tree you're describing. From what I understand, using ladders to remove branches (including handsaws) can be very dangerous. And with the tree wanting to go towards the house...I'm sure someone will be along to back me up or correct me...

Oh...welcome to AS. :)

And...enjoy the new saw...I also have one with a 16" bar and I love it.

Kevin

Last edited:
That dealer did you a dis-service, he is sort of right, it is just that a 50cc saw really can't be too aggressive - and the 346 is the 50cc saw.

Anyway, the 260 also is a good saw, but not even close in performance - and more maintenance intensive......:givebeer:

Your dealer is bs-ing on the 346 not being for a novice cutter, a 260 will rip your jugular out just as the 346 will. Be careful and pay attention when cutting. Like KMB said, ask for a pro's help on falling the tree.

No ladders.. Try to find someone on this site that lives near you to help. I have always found the guys on the site will go out of their way to help...

Your dealer is bs-ing on the 346 not being for a novice cutter, a 260 will rip your jugular out just as the 346 will. Be careful and pay attention when cutting. Like KMB said, ask for a pro's help on falling the tree.

The 346xp will snap the smaller limbs off, before the 260 even think of reving up (goes for the 5100S as well)......:cheers:

Last edited:
Seems like he was pushing stihl.New or not should have gone with the 346.
Do you have any pics of how that tree is situated?

Last edited:
Man you guy's are rough a new member talks about his new saw and all he get's is how he shoulda coulda blah blah. Buddy you have a fine saw yes it may cost you 2.36892 seconds in the cut vs the 346xp but you'll be alright.Head the advice on the tree get someone with some experiance to help with that it will be cheaper and heathier in the long run.:cheers:

Sure, but how snappy is the throttle response.......:givebeer:

Please...in a 30 second long cut a .5 second difference in time to max RPM will mean a whopping .5 second difference in cut time. Something a beginner has no business even worrying about. My 4 years with an 026 showed it to be extremely low maintenace and 100% reliable. Parts availability is second to none, not to mention a dealer system that is far and above the largest in the US. These are characteristics that are important to a novice saw owner.

Troll is just bs-ing also, LOL. I have a few 260s that rev well, I'm sure he would love them.

Yeah, I know it...and I usually just laugh to myself and go on...but this time I had to post a reply :) .

Kevin

Seems like he was pushing sthil.New or not should have gone with the 346.
Do you have any pics of how that tree is situated?

Will see if my camera is working tomorrow. My neighbor has more experience than me and offered to help. He can also climb like a monkey and has lots of heavy rope. The tree is probably more like 12" near the base, but very tall due to competing trees 6 ft away.

Another Stihl (only) dealer was very down on Husky's, saying none of their mechanics could figure out the complicated clutch system on a large, late model machine someone brought in for repair.

Will see if my camera is working tomorrow. My neighbor has more experience than me and offered to help. He can also climb like a monkey and has lots of heavy rope. The tree is probably more like 12" near the base, but very tall due to competing trees 6 ft away.

Another Stihl (only) dealer was very down on Husky's, saying none of their mechanics could figure out the complicated clutch system on a large, late model machine someone brought in for repair.

Well they are both good saws.So its not like you have been taken.Some prefer one over the other.Myself I go with Husqvarna.Those pics & A HELPFULL neighbor would both be helpfull

Last edited:
Sorry your dealer turned you away from the 346. If you think the 260 is a smooth saw, you should try the 346...
It's also more powerful than the 260. That the 346 is for pro's and the 260 for a novice is BS. The 260 could
kill you as well as a 346. The quicker acceleration is not more dangerous either.

Anyhow, you got a good reliable saw, just hope it cost you alot less than the 346 would have done.

Last edited:
Back