New MS 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please...in a 30 second long cut a .5 second difference in time to max RPM will mean a whopping .5 second difference in cut time. Something a beginner has no business even worrying about. My 4 years with an 026 showed it to be extremely low maintenace and 100% reliable. Parts availability is second to none, not to mention a dealer system that is far and above the largest in the US. These are characteristics that are important to a novice saw owner.

I was referring to limbing, not 30 second cuts - I totally agree it doesn't matter then......

Sorry your dealer turned you away from the 346. If you think the 260 is a smooth saw, you should try the 346...
It's also more powerful than the 260. That the 346 is for pro's and the 260 for a novice is BS. The 260 could
kill you as well as a 346. The quicker acceleration is not more dangerous either.

Anyhow, you got a good reliable saw, just hope it cost you alot less than the 346 would have done.

:agree2:

Here, the 260 is a lot cheaper, but likely not in the US.....

:agree2:

Here, the 260 is a lot cheaper, but likely not in the US.....

Ahah! You paid more and thus you have to defend your purchase. Now we see.;)

Bigredd, you did just fine. Between the 2 saws, I'd personally pick the 260 over the 346. I just feels like it's better-built. That may be a subjective opinion, of course. I've handled both, but run neither.

The Troll is right the 260 is a great saw but he is also right in that the 346xp will run rings around it imo.

I have the 5100S & 353. I have ran Stihl 026 and if I find a good deal on one, I will have another one. 50cc saws get most of my use and are so flexible.

You got a great saw! That weight only plays out at the end of a long day & then only when cutting above waist level- not the best of ideas to start with.

2Door

I just went thru this same deal between these two saws. I chose the 346XP because of the good deal I got on it and because of all the good comments I have read about it. I felt bad because I didn't get a saw from my dealer(Stihl) I deal with at work but will be buying a larger saw in the future and will get one from them. As for your tree problem, if it were me I would get professional help on that one.

Congrats on your 260!!

You'll enjoy it for being light and the power ...I have had mine for awhile and run the heck outta it...The 346xp is a great saw too,,but to me,,,either one is a good choice.. Enjoy your 260 and have fun with her!!!!

Will see if my camera is working tomorrow. My neighbor has more experience than me and offered to help. He can also climb like a monkey and has lots of heavy rope. The tree is probably more like 12" near the base, but very tall due to competing trees 6 ft away.

Here are some pictures of the tree. As you can see there is an opening across the back yard. Measured the tree and it is 16" near ground and 12" @ 4 feet off ground, and does not start to noticeably get smaller till about 30 feet.

Thanks for your help.

:agree2: if that lean towards the house is bad.

Using a pull rope and wedges to get it the right way is an option, if it isn't too bad of a lean.

Well my neighbor and I took that dead oak tree down yesterday. There was no property damage or injury, but it definately was not as planned. See pictures I posted earlier for reference.

The tree was an oval shape and we chose to notch it on the flat side, which was not exactly where we wanted it to fall. That slight shift in direction caused the tree to lodge in an adjacent hickory about 8 ft away and impossible to move with ropes. Ended up cutting about 30 ft in small sections from the bottom and using a hand winch to dislodge the tree before it finally fell. Did not always seem safe, but could not think of any alternatives.

The MS 260 performed everything asked of it admirably.

Well my neighbor and I took that dead oak tree down yesterday. There was no property damage or injury, but it definately was not as planned. See pictures I posted earlier for reference.

The tree was an oval shape and we chose to notch it on the flat side, which was not exactly where we wanted it to fall. That slight shift in direction caused the tree to lodge in an adjacent hickory about 8 ft away and impossible to move with ropes. Ended up cutting about 30 ft in small sections from the bottom and using a hand winch to dislodge the tree before it finally fell. Did not always seem safe, but could not think of any alternatives.

No one got hurt and you gained good experience.:clap: Speaking of bringing things down...who's going to replace Phillip Fulmer?:)

Last edited:

Good to hear that you got the tree down without injury or damage and that the 260 worked for you.

Kevin

I am new to Site and just bought a new Stihl MS 260. Had originally ordered a Husqvarna 450e from Sears, but cancelled it after reading the negative posts from this forum. After visiting a local dealer that carries both Stihl and Husy, I decided on the 260 with 16 blade. Almost went for the 270 for $70 less, but liked the feel of the 260.

I enquired on the Husqvarna 346 XP and the Dealer did not recommend it for a novice cutter like me. He said it accelerates very quickly, has a very steep power curve, and would not be comfortable for a novice to handle.

First cut was a 14" cherry tree in the back woods that had broken near the base and leaning on a neaby oak. The 260went thru it like butter. Man that is a smooth saw.

Would appreciate some tips for downing a 16" oak tree (dead). It's about 20 feet from the house, but sits atop a steep incline and gravity pushes it toward the house. There is an opening away from the house, but would have to fight gravity somewhat. Also scared of the remaining branches falling while cutting, which are about 60 feet high. Would it be best to use a 28 ft ladder and take down the upper part of the tree with a hand saw, or just take it down at the base with the chain saw and watch for falling debris?

Well - i have both saws a 260 pro and a 346 xp ne i like both but I am agree with your dealer the 346 is more agresive and the 260 is more all round

The 260 is IMHO a better all round saw - and it is better build and easier to service than the 346

Before the Husky/Stihl war starts in here - remember i have both and like both saws - but most of the comments you will read in the "260 versus 346" war is from people not having worked with both saws - and not owning one of each:popcorn:

I love my 260, which is about all I need for my firewood needs.

Glad your experience was a successful one. And always remember...

attachment.php

Ive ran the 346 xp but not a fair comparison cause it was Bookerdogs maniac modded one,will cut with a 70cc saw,was nice and lightweigt tho but also luv the wifes 260 fine saw n my opinion.

Back