New Saw Decision Time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one, folks?

• Total voters
If the Stihl option was the 361 and not the 362, I would have voted for that one - as the poll is, the obvious choise is the 2165! :greenchainsaw:

I'll weigh in here and try to be as unbiased as possible, but it just happens that Jonsered is the best choice. You have a limbing saw covered. You are looking for a saw to do some felling. Of all the options you have listed the 2165 is the only one that will readily handle a 24" bar on a day to day basis. It isn't the fastest saw in large wood, but anything under 20" it keeps up with the 2171.....easily. The 362 looks to be a good saw but it is built on a smaller chassis and if it is anything like the 361 it won't like a 24" bar as easily as the 2165. Upgrades aside, it has been mentioned hundreds of times that the 2165 (and equivalent 365) are the best bang for the buck.

The 2165 is a far more capable saw in larger wood than any of the others listed. It has low end grunt that is hard to beat, even with 70cc saws. Probably cheaper than the 362 also.

Welp, I plan on going Monday or Tuesday to get the new saw. The 362 and the 2165 are tied up on here, but I'm leaning toward the red one. I think I'll be happy with the larger saw, and the BB kit sounds pretty good in a few years when I've worn it down.

Thanks all!

I'll break the tie. Get the 2165.

Doesn't look like it was enough.:D

For the OP, I think price would make the choice eaiser. If the 2165 were $100 cheaper, I'd consider it. The power and weight should be close for both. The only advantage I see towards the 2165, other than a possible cheaper price would be the ability to add a 372 top end later on. Resell will be much higher on the Stihl, should you decide to upgrade to a 70cc+ saw.

1 more for the 362

I recently picked up a Stihl MS362 with a 25" bar and I like it so far. I know it has limitations with that bar size so I don't push it. It easy to handle and for me it rips through anything but the largest trees and then it needs a little more time to eat. I'm very satisfied with this saw. I'm no professional so this is just an opinion. Good Luck!

I recently picked up a Stihl MS362 with a 25" bar and I like it so far. I know it has limitations with that bar size so I don't push it. It easy to handle and for me it rips through anything but the largest trees and then it needs a little more time to eat. I'm very satisfied with this saw. I'm no professional so this is just an opinion. Good Luck!

Get a shorter bar for most use, and reserve the long one for the occations when you really need it!

Your saw will thank you, in the long run! :givebeer:

Last edited:
I would just look for a new 361 if I were you. Theres lots of them still sitting in dealerships right now.

I would pick the 362 if it we're me. As much as I love my 361, the 362 has a little more power, uses less fuel, has a better filtration system and has awesome antivibe. They are just as dependable as any othwer Sthil saw.

I have ran the 362, and I would have one if I did'nt plan on modding the crap out of my 361. :) Killer all around saw.

Close to Martinsburg, closer to Romney.

I'm still torn b/t the 362 and 2165. I need to get out and smell them both I suppose. Looks like they're building the same horsies(on paper) and the Johnny is just a bit heavier, albeit with more displacement. More room in the jug should translate to more torque, correct?

Also forgot to mention, local stihler had a new 361 with the toolless chain tensioner on it. Should be able to get it for a good price, but how is that mechanism? I hear they're not the same as the ones on the harry homeowner saws.

I could always invest in a corn hopper/feeder system for my OWB, but where would the fun be in that?

Last edited:
Although, just for kicks, how's the new 441 doing with it's new EPA goodness?

No one seems to complain about them but not many rave about them ether. I liked it but I would rather carry a 460 or 660.

They seem to very dependable and easy on the operator.

I just purchased a 2171 Friday. Used it for a few hours and love it. I had a Jonsered 625 that was about 20-25 years old that never left me hanging.
Until Jonsered leaves me out in the cold I will continue coming back. I paid $810 for my 2171...

Also forgot to mention, local stihler had a new 361 with the toolless chain tensioner on it. Should be able to get it for a good price, but how is that mechanism? I hear they're not the same as the ones on the harry homeowner saws. ....

It probably can be rebuilt into a standard one - that is the best that can be said about that version.....

Being in WV..

You have alot of hardwoods like here in Ky....The best all around saw I have for under 24 is my husky NE346xp. I run the crap outta that saw during winter...Why?? Cause it's light,,I'm running a 18 inch bar on it and for time fellin a bigger tree tru 2 cuts you can make it up with limbing cause of the weight and speed...The little Husky screams and I wanna be honest,,it will come down to how much your gonna cut in a day and how heavy a weight your gonna luge around,,the 346xp is for me....I have a JRED 2186 I mill with...The only prob. I had with it was the vent tube started leaking...Simple fix,,and it is still going strong ...
It's what your gonna do and look how big a wood your gonna cut,,and what saw is gonna get the bang for your bucks....You dont want anything that will be too big,,if your going just to go out and cut all day with one saw...Limbing is the most hard on me,,cause walking ,,pulling brush,,getting a clear path....You dont wanna luge a boat anchor around....You want a saw that will be light,,do the work for your size wood,,and enjoy...Not kill ya at the days end,,then you will dread cutting wood...You have a saw that matches what fits you,,you'll enjoy being in the woods,,and enjoy every min. of it...

WVshooter,

I too like you have been lurking on AS quite a bit lately. This is a fantastic site, it has been a wealth of information thus far.

I voted for the MS362 because I just picked mine up today and had a chance to run it for about an hour. It is absolutely the smoothest running saw I have ever had the chance to run, certainly a big step up from the Homelite Super XL "Big Red" I'm used to cutting with. Mine has a 25" bar, it balances the saw nicely and leaves me standing up straighter than a 20" bar so cutting is easier on my back. If you choose the MS362 I'm confident you will be happy with your choice, I know that it has me grinning ear to ear!

Back