New Solo model, the 681

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He also had words of praise for the 656, which specs at 4.4 hp, and 11.7 lb...if true, would put it at the top of the 57-61 cc class.

So I was very interested by what you say about the 656, so I went to Solousa's web site and they list the 656 at 4.1hp and 11.5 lbs. Well the weight difference doesn't matter but the .3 hp? At the same weight listed as the 5100 with 6 more cc's and some power would good especially when you look at what Domar's next unit up is. The 6400 @ 64cc and 13.6 lbs? It sure makes the 656 look good if it is 4.4hp. The only thing is the manufacturer's list price on their web site, $709.95 USD, for that kind of price you would think this is in the UK or Canada :dizzy:

Nope I wasn't there. The operator used the same B&C on both saws but the 7900 had an 8 pin and the 681 had a 7 pin. I feel that the 7900 and 691 would run neck and neck if they both had 7 pin sprockets, the 7900 bogged down to much with the 8 pin. It's only a matter of time before we know the differences between the two saws.

Last edited:
Nope I wasn't there. The operator used the same B&C on both saws but the 7900 had an 8 pin and the 681 had a 7 pin. I feel that the 7900 and 691 would run neck and neck if they both had 7 pin sprockets, the 7900 bogged down to much with the 8 pin. It's only a matter of time before we know the differences between the two saws.

I'm not taking sides here. If it was the same comparison I read, I believe it was mentioned that the 681 wasn't broke in yet. It didn't say how many tanks of fuel had been through the 7900.

Kevin

The 681 was new.

I don't believe there is any side to take. I cut firewood, and sometimes I like to cut cookies for fun,:biggrinbounce2: I have nothing invested in any one brand, however some people on this forum and other forums do. I'm just trying to cut through the mountains of BS given out every day by people who make there living by selling a brand.:cheers:

I took the very unscientific comparison for what it was. Let me ask this. If you wanted to equally compare two saws of almost the same displacement, would you run an 8 pin sprocket on one saw and a 7 on the other?

Welp sounds like the 681 is a runner then. Since you know about the sprockets I assume you was there, what did you think of it overall compared to the 7900? I ask because from the pictures I've seen of it they look quite abit alike. Did you run the 681?

I don't really know anything, but I hardly believe the added weight of the 681 is worth it, and traditionally Solos power rating allways have been optimistic........:chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

The 681 was new.

I don't believe there is any side to take. I cut firewood, and sometimes I like to cut cookies for fun,:biggrinbounce2: I have nothing invested in any one brand, however some people on this forum and other forums do. I'm just trying to cut through the mountains of BS given out every day by people who make there living by selling a brand.:cheers:

Firewood cutter myself. My first saw was a Stihl because I got a good deal on it through a friend. If the fella would have been a Husky dealer, I would have bought a Husky. My Stihl's have done me well and I'll stay with them because I have access to 5 'local' dealers. I have and never will bash another brand...to each his own. It's hard to get a good, reliable opinion on a saw (or alot of other things) on the internet...but there are a few here on AS that give good info/opinions.

I took the very unscientific comparison for what it was. Let me ask this. If you wanted to equally compare two saws of almost the same displacement, would you run an 8 pin sprocket on one saw and a 7 on the other?

Nope. It is good, for those really interested in the 681, that the 7 & 8 pin sprocket difference was mentioned so they can factor that into their decision.

Kevin

Solo is well known to be extremely optimistic with their specked power - I need to see some real evidence that have changed, before I believe a #### of them.....:monkey: :monkey:

Last edited:
I heard that they went back and put a 7 pin on the 7900 and it was still almost a second behind the brand new 681, and the 7900 had about 75 tanks through it. :laugh:

No side's to take. It sounds like they're both pretty good saw's, I just wonder how they'd stand up against a 372? :deadhorse: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Andy

No side's to take. It sounds like they're both pretty good saw's, I just wonder how they'd stand up against a 372?
372's a giant killer.

I dont know if I would call it "eats alive" and I owned both simultaneously.

You talking stock? I have 2 7900s and have run lots of 372 stock. The 7900 has more low mid and high rpm power. Modified I'm told the 372 can be a monster.

I have several pro friends that have switched to 7900s after owning stock 372s. All agreed the 372 is a bit anemic compared. Again, I am talking stock.

Don't get me wrong, the 371/2 is a great saw. Mine has cut alot of wood and still runs great. But especially with a 28 inch bar, the 7900 has the edge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back