new to site, chainsaw reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
danp76, maybe there is something wrong with your 357XP. I would take it back to your dealer and have them check it over. It could be something like the carb not being set right. Or as others have mentioned maybe the chain. I haven't ran the 357XP but was asking about them (and the Stihl MS361) last week. From what the guys here were saying the 357XP flat out RIPS! I'd have it looked at. Good luck! :)

I replaced the rings in a 357XPG that I own. The power was nothing to right home about. Then...........bang.............the saw came alive. There has been more than one member here who has experienced the same thing.

Take it back to the dealer and have them check it!

The 357 will dance all over the Craftmans saw!!!

Hahaha, well I'll tell you, it just SO FAR doesn't seem like it's $400.00 better than the craftsman....should I keep the 575xp or is it too close in power to the 357xp, and go for somethign larger?

You need a 3120! Hands down, no questions asked. Especially for the big stuff you are cutting. Or, if you wanted to save a little money, buy another Craftsman 55cc saw, and use a double ended bar to hook them together. Then you will have a monster 110cc machine for only $400. Good luck.

I am running a 16" bar and chain. The bar is a stock husqvarna, and it's a husky/oregon chain which is 3/8" pitch. I cut hardwood, yesterday was oak on its first tank wasn't so impressed with it. Like I said, my craftsman 55cc seems to do as well thus far. The 357xp bogged a bit through some of the tough red oak pieces, I had to back off and let it rip again. I hope it picks up it's cutting power, so far it behaves like an expensive craftsman, except it costs $400.00 more.....

Dan,

Your impatience is starting to frustrate me. I looked back into your posts and if I recall, you just got your saw a week ago. Unless you have been cutting all day, everyday, I really don't think that you have given the 357XP the time it needs to break in. How many full tanks have you run through it? Everyone here is absolutely right, it takes time for it to break in. Your saw will come alive, if you break it in... From what I have seen and read, you have not.

You stated that you have a Craftsman 55cc. Did you buy that new, or used? If you bought it new, you went through the same break in process. You probably did not realize it, because you either:
1. You were upgrading to a much larger saw from something with much less power (aka: small homeowner Poulan) or...
2. Didn't have another saw to compare the power output to...

Don't be so impatient. Go out and cut with it. Break it in properly and FULLY. It will be fine. After you break it in, go back to the dealer and have him check the carb settings. They are probably set a little rich for proper break in.

You have a 16" bar on that saw which, in my opinion, is a little on the small side. That saw can easily handle a 20" bar and 3/8 chain. Trust me, I have one.

Thanks for all the great information guys, very helpful. I am only on my second tank of gas in my 357xp, and my forth tank on my 55cc craftsman. SO FAR, the sears seems to cut as well as the 357xp.

What model Craftsman is 55cc?
Where did you purchse this saw? A local Sears? or a tool supply company?

I bought the sears saw 55cc about a month ago at a local sears store. so far it seems like a great value...SO FAR it doesn't seem like the 357xp is $400.00 better....

like they said,

let it break in.it will wake up.mine works fine in hardwood.using the stihl RSC chain makes a difference too.

To answer the question, the 575 will have much more torque than the 357.
I actually got rid of a 570, and replaced it with a 357, because
1. the 570 has LESS power than the 575
2. the 357 is only one half horse less than the 570, and much lighter,

so for me, it filled a nice gap.

I think the 357 is a nice saw, and agree about breaking it in.
I have quite a few tanks through mine, and it is getting stronger as I go.
My personal preference, though, is undersized bars.
I have a 20" on my Dolmar 7900, and after running the 357 with a 20", I am putting on a 16" bar. I will be much happier with the power of it.

Most of the wood that I cut is under 20" and almost all very hard hardwoods.

If you have a NEW 575, and can return it, you might wish to consider a 372, or a Dolmar 7900. The 575 is a nice saw, but the weight is a little much for the power. I know someone else mentioned it, but the 7900 is a very light 6.3 hp saw. You would not be disappointed, and it would cut rings around your craftsman.

There are no Dolmar dealers near me that I know of, so I am kinda steering away from a 7900. Any other suggestions? I could trade in the 575xp for something different, what do you recommend?

There are no Dolmar dealers near me that I know of, so I am kinda steering away from a 7900. Any other suggestions? I could trade in the 575xp for something different, what do you recommend?

How about an MS460?

.....or jump right to the Husky 390xp.......

Thanks for all the great information guys, very helpful. I am only on my second tank of gas in my 357xp, and my forth tank on my 55cc craftsman. SO FAR, the sears seems to cut as well as the 357xp.

Dan,

At this point in the game, I can understand that the Craftsman is cutting as well as the 357XP. For starters, the Craftsman is only 1.5 cc's smaller than the Husky. It also has had double the run time of the brand new 357. The real difference between the two will be longevity and reliability. To really compare the two, you have to look at other factors, just not price. I do not know the specs on the Craftsman, not sure of the horsepower rating, power to weight ratio, or even powerhead weight. It is hard to truely compare the two without that info. However, I can tell you, that hour per hour of hard use, your Husky will be still cutting wood long after your Craftsman dies.

Is 575 a POS?

I just bought two new saws, but I'm a bit skeptical. The 357xp I have only used two tankfuls, so I can't fully comment. I also purchased a 575xp and have not used it yet. I am thinking maybe I should trade it in for something different the way you guys are talking....hmmm any thoughts? I wouldn't mind a Dolmar but don't know of any dealers in my area.

I just bought two new saws, but I'm a bit skeptical. The 357xp I have only used two tankfuls, so I can't fully comment. I also purchased a 575xp and have not used it yet. I am thinking maybe I should trade it in for something different the way you guys are talking....hmmm any thoughts? I wouldn't mind a Dolmar but don't know of any dealers in my area.

Why do you feel the 575 is a POS? You need to use it and see what you think of it, don't go by opinions you've read, go by your own. No saw suits everyone but that saw may well turn out to be your favorite but you'll never know if you don't use it. Take it for a spin.............

saw ??

the 575 is a good big wood saw it is alittle bit too much power for pruning or yard work. it is one of the better pro saws made. the 575 with half wrap and west coast dawgs and a 28" bar running full skip chain is a nice size saw for fire wood and or land clearing. just my half penny thought:hmm3grin2orange:

I havent seen many problems with it, it is more weight than others but it has good power. Most of the time I see them with problems it is because of operator abuse.(trees falling on them, fell out of truck, etc.)

Thanks guys, I was just thinking maybe I should upgrade before I use it but maybe that's not the case. I hope it has a lot more power than my 357xp or is it just marginally more power? 4.4hp to 5.4hp doesn't seem like a huge jump on paper...

Thanks guys, I was just thinking maybe I should upgrade before I use it but maybe that's not the case. I hope it has a lot more power than my 357xp or is it just marginally more power? 4.4hp to 5.4hp doesn't seem like a huge jump on paper...

1 horse in chainsaws is quite a jump. Give that saw a fair spin and then decide for yourself..

Why do you feel the 575 is a POS? You need to use it and see what you think of it, don't go by opinions you've read, go by your own. No saw suits everyone but that saw may well turn out to be your favorite but you'll never know if you don't use it. Take it for a spin.............

Probably some of the very best advice you will ever get! Everyone has an opinion, yours is the one that counts:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: Sounds like the people that use 'em like 'em, despite what you might hear;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back