Newbie Needs Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buckeye said:
A bit of an update.

I talked to my local Stihl dealer again Saturday. He has a used (less than one year old) MS390 for $450. Not much of a deal, IMO. I can get a brand new one for $75 more. His price on a MS361 is $610 - Well out of my budget unfortunately. I'm watching a couple of MS361s on eBay, though I have some trepidations about buying used power equipment online.

I need to do some more research on the Husky line, especially the 357XP. I was thinking 'bigger is better', so I thought the 460 would be what I want. I didn't realize that they have a consumer line and a pro line. Their numbering system and the fact that their website is hard to navigate makes it a PITA to compare, IMO.

I have a buddy who is really pushing me on Huskys, but I'm leaning towards Stihl. I have to admit that Husky does have one advantage in their 2 year warranty vs. 90 days with Stihl.

Iwould say try the bigger saw, But I get slammed.
Husky has more advantages then there warranty.

manual said:

To name few, its lighter, revs more, cuts better, is orange, better ergonomics, superior anti-vibe, worlds best air filtration system....

:hmm3grin2orange:

blis said:
To name few, its lighter, revs more, cuts better, is orange, better ergonomics, superior anti-vibe, worlds best air filtration system....

Sounds like you are discussing 359 vs 390.

If that is the case, I mostly agree - and then some.

Btw, they have been "dumping" MS390s at very low prices here lately....

blis said:

Shhhhhhh,
The Stilh guys are going to swarm this thread.

My 359 is great especially with the non-cat muffler.

It is a pro saw with a wide power band that is great fo me since I do not use the saw everyday and have to get reacquainted with it when I use it.

The MS 361 is an excellent saw however for the money I would buy another 359. Do not listen to the two ring thing. A single ring piston with proper gas and regular maintainence will last forever.

not another this brand i beter

not again :dizzy: :deadhorse:
newbie buy something that you can work on or get a saw locally with dealer support.:chainsaw:

timberrat said:
not again :dizzy: :deadhorse:
newbie buy something that you can work on or get a saw locally with dealer support.:chainsaw:

My ability to do maintenance and repairs is not the issue. I am simply unfamiliar with the current offerings from Stihl / Husky and I was looking for advice on choosing an appropriate machine for my situation. I thought I might be able to gain some valuable insight from those who use chainsaws frequently/daily. Up until now, I was correct. Thanks for taking time to write a well thought out and extremely helpful reply. :buttkick:

SmokinDodge said:
460 for less money that the 390? If your comfortable with the dealer go with the 460, there is no comparison between those two saws. Might be a little large for what you want but that will quickly go away if you hang around here. ;)

A nice used saw for you with 20 acres would be an 036/360. There are plenty of them around with a lot life left.

How much are they asking for the 460?

:blush:

You mean there's more than one brand of saw?

:buttkick:

manual said:

I like a bigger saw than i need.... The 357/359 is a very good saw. Never ran a 361, so I can't compare, but the 390's are less than desireable from my experiences

Update!!!

Time for a long-overdue update. I heeded the advice given above and saved up some extra money. I bought a new MS361 earlier this week. I got a 24" bar, I'll probably pick up an 18" next week. The dealer was very helpful, and even included two extra chains in addition to the obligatory Stihl cap.

This thing looks so good, I almost hate to get her dirty. :laugh:

StihlMS361-4.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your patience and advice.

excellent choice!

you couldn't have gone wrong with the 359/357 either.if you haven't used it yet,trade that chain back in for the 33RSC.will be really smooth on there.

Great choice of saws.......So whatcha gonna name her? :hmm3grin2orange: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

Safety chain? Ugh!
As far as whoever said that Stihl only has a 90 day warranty; Both my 250 and 290 came with a one year warranty.

90 days is if you tick the box that says "commercial or professional use". ;) Homeowner warranty is 1 year for all saws below 440. 440 and above - just 90 days...

Buckeye - Congradulations on paying for quality.

Ummm, I already did that. ;)

The MS361 is a great all around pro saw. Look at it this way: If instead you buy junk, how are you really saving anything? Especially in the long run. I like mine and it was worth it too.

Buckeye just wanted to see how you like your new baby. I am very interested in hearing how it pulls that 24incher through hardwood? Congrats;)

Back