Newby Forum????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Forum???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I cant make heads or tails out of your poll. Im afraid to pick one and be misunderstood. I think there should be a tutorial for newbs to see how stuff works on this here forum. Im sure they are all similar but this is my first and am still learning all the tricks. I didnt know what search was even when you and other old timers were telling us to search. Speaking of search I think it needs to be rifined somehow. Also whats up with the "tag" thingy. Seems that "tagging" threads would help also. I dont mind newbs asking questions right out of the gate. If Im not in the mood or dont have a response I dont answer and move on. I was totally behind you on your last try at stickiness. (Did that come out right?) Just dont know the exact way to do it. :cheers:

It was my first poll.......................................................

It excited me......

Heck, I will let it alone...............................
I don't know...........................

The search function was the first option I used here when I found the site (sept 2003), long before I joined - I even remember what I first searched for ("621")....:greenchainsaw:

HAHAHA!!!! Even as the newbe I am I probaly would have guessd that!!!!!! Good one!!

As an old friend used to say "It wouldn't be half so funny if it wasn't true!!"

Carry on Niko!!!!:cheers::cheers:

It was my first poll.......................................................

It excited me......

Heck, I will let it alone...............................
I don't know...........................

Hey Im not knockin ya buddy. Keep on keepin on. Im still behind you.:dizzy:

How about some required reading for the newbie before being allowed to post. Seriously better than 80 percent of questions could be answered in less than an hours reading.

I am a member on several forums that use Vbulletin software. I have found this particular forum to be very unfriendly for searching. It has a high volume of threads and a very high incidence of threads going off topic. The number of threads that turn into arguments is really incredible. So, from a newbies viewpoint, it is very difficult to get a straight answer while searching. I usually search and then ask the question anyways. The other issue is that there is a large population of banned members; so when you come across some old info but the source is someone who is banned you can't easily clarify what was discussed in some old thread without asking the question again.

The search function was the first option I used here when I found the site (sept 2003), long before I joined - I even remember what I first searched for ("621")....:greenchainsaw:

Same here, but I think I had to join in order to search..

After joining, I searched for the answer to my question, then I think I asked for a IPL... I remember Snelling helping me out with an IPL, and I've been hooked ever since.

I remember when I first came to this site and had questions that I thought were probably stupid.
I TRIED to use the search function which was useless to me. It either said "returned 0 results" or there was so much information I would have to have 2 more computers to sift through it all.

No one wants to read 143 pages of posts to find out if their Stihl was made in Germany or the U.S.A.

I was frustrated when the FAQ link was about websites and computers and not about chainsaws.

I personally would be glad to spend some time on a "newbie" forum within this site assisting the new folks or at least guiding them to where some of the "Pros" had already answered their questions.

If the newbies didn't ask the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... (ooops sorry kinda slipped into neutral there) :D... we'd have a lot less traffic around here. I'm not knocking the newbs and the search function could really use some work, but it gets a little old sometimes so I just don't choose to participate. I don't have the free time I used to and I don't type real fast so by the time I get an answer up 5 people have already answered and 4 of them want to argue about it. I don't type fast enough to argue and it's really not a big deal to me if we don't agree... I gave you my opinion, take it or leave it. :laugh:

Anyway if you don't wanna read the Newbie threads (again) do what I do and don't.

I like helping out where I can but when you gotta argue for 3 pages with Joey Eagerbeaver about why a 30" bar isn't a good idea on his Wildthing :dizzy:.... well you know, hardly seems worth the effort.

Wow, sounding kinda cynical today aren’t I. :laugh:

Anyway, I'm from the camp that says there are no stupid questions, no need to bash a newbie for asking what you think is a stupid question just because you already know the answer..... BTW how did you get the answer??? :D

Read what you want and leave the rest be, it's not that hard.

Oh and Rookie, I don't know what you're doing behind Fish but.... STOP IT!!

:laugh: :cheers: :laugh:

If the newbies didn't ask the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... (ooops sorry kinda slipped into neutral there) :D... we'd have a lot less traffic around here. I'm not knocking the newbs and the search function could really use some work, but it gets a little old sometimes so I just don't choose to participate. I don't have the free time I used to and I don't type real fast so by the time I get an answer up 5 people have already answered and 4 of them want to argue about it. I don't type fast enough to argue and it's really not a big deal to me if we don't agree... I gave you my opinion, take it or leave it. :laugh:

Anyway if you don't wanna read the Newbie threads (again) do what I do and don't.

I like helping out where I can but when you gotta argue for 3 pages with Joey Eagerbeaver about why a 30" bar isn't a good idea on his Wildthing :dizzy:.... well you know, hardly seems worth the effort.

Wow, sounding kinda cynical today aren’t I. :laugh:

Anyway, I'm from the camp that says there are no stupid questions, no need to bash a newbie for asking what you think is a stupid question just because you already know the answer..... BTW how did you get the answer??? :D

Read what you want and leave the rest be, it's not that hard.

Oh and Rookie, I don't know what you're doing behind Fish but.... STOP IT!!

:laugh: :cheers: :laugh:

Just see many new threads from new members slip away into oblivion,
because it is an old question, and I respond to be cordial.

And I am going to stop........

i get the feeling that most of you think us (newbies) are retards. i kind of take offence. i might not be a logger or a professional tree trimmer\remover guy but i have burned wood from day i was born.when i found this site i jumped at the chance to get advice and rub elbows with the pros.i bet i have a few bits of knowledge that would be useful to sum of u guys. not trying to tell u not to open the forum. but i would like to be able to pick on the morons too.:givebeer:

Hey Fish I voted for "Newby forum, with oldthreads stickied." after rereading it several times slowly. I am slow you know. Anyway I try to respond to questions that I am confident I can answer. I dont want to look like a dufus or give bad info. :dizzy:

Just see many new threads from new members slip away into oblivion,
because it is an old question, and I respond to be cordial.

And I am going to stop........

I respond also, if I have something to add. Nothing is worse than a new guy with an honest question that nobody takes a second to answer. I try not to respond unless I am sure the advice I am giving is fact. I just got a bit aggravated with that guy this morning flooding page one with tons of new threads. They were all pretty much pretaining to the same thrashed 026. He is very likely a great guy, terribly excited about his first CAD find. I know the feeling...... :clap: But he could have asked all of the questions in the same thread, and gotten the exact same result. I need to be more patient with others. Sorry if I threw fuel on this fire.

As a true newbie to this site, or any others lite it, it took me a while to figure out how to use the search functions and i think a mandatory tutorial when becoming a site member is a great idea. Yes, I'm new, I'm eager, and I love to run a nice saw, As i assume is true for most of you which is why this site exists.
I appreciate the time and dedication the oldtimers contribute and your efforts have not gone to waste. I've learned more, faster, than most of my peers and co-cutters. I'm better with my saw and safer, and my saw runs better than it ever has. If I may say thanks and "cheers" to you, I'll tip back a couple of cold ones tonight in appreciation to the contributions you senior member make to this site.

I think a newbie section is a good idea. If it had a few stickies that answered most of their questions that would make it better. A few examples.

Sticky: Chainsaw trouble shooting
Sticky: FAQ's
Sticky: A list of best saws to buy in each saw class as voted on by AS members

This might cut down on some of the repetitive posts. It might also separate out the newbies that are going to ask one question then leave from those like me who feel like they have found a home.

I think a newbie section is a good idea. If it had a few stickies that answered most of their questions that would make it better. A few examples.

Sticky: Chainsaw trouble shooting
Sticky: FAQ's
Sticky: A list of best saws to buy in each saw class as voted on by AS members

This might cut down on some of the repetitive posts. It might also separate out the newbies that are going to ask one question then leave from those like me who feel like they have found a home.

I like this......the "which saw" threads alone would reduce traffic substantially.

I am not so much concerned or bothered by "newbies" as much as I am by those that cannot get past being "newbies". Aside from brand whores, oil idiots, and the fixers of the un-broken, it is the perpetual newbies that are the most mystifying.

Fish, I think this might be the newbie forum, not sure. Not real sure who to ask. Maybe I will try a search. Nope, I will just ask. Maybe a poll or something, oooohhh two threads and ask for "rep" in both, sweeet. Now I am cooking. Okay, how do I post pictures for my poll about newbies and get rep and threads about polls about newbies and get rep? Hhhmmmm.

Dear reader,

If this post offends you please feel free to disregard and continue polishing your new tool with your new special oil while dreaming of making it better, both the oil(special gas!) and the tool(Dremel baby!). When it is shiny and waterproofed please type "chain sharpening" or "how to sharpen" in to the search window and read, everything. The read it again.

If you cannot come up with at least 3 factory spec design changes after sales of the Husqvarna 359 began you are a Husqvarna newbie.

If you cannot come up with at least 2 Stihl saws that the term Magnum was not just a marketing sticker you are a Stihl newbie.

If your trees fall the wrong way you are a dangerous newbie. Read more.

Last edited:
I am not so much concerned or bothered by "newbies" as much as I am by those that cannot get past being "newbies". Aside from brand whores, oil idiots, and the fixers of the un-broken, it is the perpetual newbies that are the most mystifying.

Dear reader,

If this post offends you please feel free to disregard and continue polishing your new tool with your new special oil while dreaming of making it better, both the oil(special gas!) and the tool(Dremel baby!). When it is shiny and waterproofed please type "chain sharpening" or "how to sharpen" in to the search window and read, everything. The read it again.

I tend to agree! :cheers:

I have nothing against newbies, but I hate the "one-post wonders", that never report back after getting a lot of responce to their initial post(s)!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back