Newby Forum????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Forum???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think I will be a popcorn ninja...:popcorn:...Or wait maybe I will be a newbie...:newbie:...Or wait maybe I will just be a loser...:looser:...Or wait make I will just drink my beer...:givebeer:...Or wait maybe I will just bow down...:bowdown:...NOT...Or wait maybe I will just be confused...:confused:...I truly have been sucked in by this site..I wish I would have found it back in its beginning, but I didn't...THANK GOD...I know I will never be as good or as knowledgable as most here, but I enjoy it and the people on it...I have already seen many come and go...Several that have a boat load of knowledge and a few that need and serious reality check...IMHO if we have to ask ourselves if we should be here we should NOT...Get the :censored: over yourself and let it be...Just like the beg for REP thread, most of us view it and whether we choose to post or not is part of it...This place truly has a great group of people that enjoy the outdoors and want to talk w/ people w/ the same interest...It is just like standing in line at Walmart and asking yourself is that what I look like to the guy behind me...Well if I do I am sorry...END OF RANT...

I sometimes feel your pain but I also remember being one not in the saw dept just new to the site and typing. I for one get a kick outta some of the seemingly simple questions that magically turn complex but I am sick:monkey: I agree with the Troll on one post wanders though, I mean you came to ask a question and don't have time to hear a solution why ask?

So when is your recommended point that a member is not a newbie? When he "Must Own A Stihl", like the rep says? Or when he's successfully woods ported a saw? Or burnt his 100th cord of wood? I don't get it.... If you try to seclude members like that, how do you suppose the forum is supposed to diversify and populate. Or do you want it to be just a social group? Fish, no disrespect towards your logic, but are the high-contributors of this site also supposed to be the future? God bless them, and i'm sounding harsh, but are you thinking about the growth of the site, or are you just feeling drowned amongst a bunch of "minnows". Tell me, how are you going to improve the forum if you cut the link off at the end of your generation? I know what you're trying to get at, yet maybe i'm not in your shoes. Like you say, who's going to step up? But you're making it sound like a crisis.

I'll say it right out, i'm darn fortunate that there are people here that have had more experience than I, which is a good share, and am glad that they share it. Searching the archives is a more-than-daily event for me. At one given time, i've had three searches going, just because i'm that interested. One, to not tick people like you off, but two, because it really is a heck of a lot faster, and I tend to learn more than I intended to learn. But you can only do that same search so many times, till you stop learning new information pertaining to what you were searching for. Like was mentioned, a lot of the threads stray off topic, a lot of the searches turn up generic info, a lot of the searches turn up close to a hundred threads or so, and a lot of the info you are after is buried in the bottom of a thread that talks about a GTG, or is a picture thread with 25 pages, or something like that. Some new threads are warranted due to opinions from fresh minds, some subjects all-together haven't been dicussed, and sometimes a search only brings up 9 threads.

To stray the direction of my post, i'm not sure who all of the moderators are, but aren't they responsible for addressing issues like the stack of threads you had mentioned? Can't they point out to a person to do a search if no one is responding to the thread? Maybe some pre-membership instructions are in order. And isn't there an ignore feature here? Then again, where do you draw the line at a thread that is borderline to bothering you, or doesn't deserve attention?

What do I know. I'll continue to do multiple searches like I always do. But do I have to constantly feel like i'm not humble enough to post? I'm not saying everyone has to reply to my threads, but I would hope there would be enough decency to at least attempt to show interest, like I try to do. If not, then what's holding the forum together? The archives and the social groups?

No disrespect meant, just an opinion-orientated post.

Don't know the lingo to search well

Besides the point that people have already brought up about search getting either no hits or waaaaay too many hits, I think the newbie members can't search because they have no idea what the thing they're searching for is *called*. There's a lot of jargon/technical terms that get used, and if you search for one of those terms you may get great search hits--if you use some generic term, you get piles of not very useful threads.

I would like to see sticky FAQ threads myself, speaking as a (hopefully now semi-) :newbie:

PPine

PS: Thanks Fish and Austin1 for answering my first post.

I see the threads you were referring to now Fishy. Pretty repetitive threading, but probably just someone who hasn't been on a forum before. What I don't see, is where someone corrected him in the proper procedure of a forum. Rather than complain, shouldn't that be addressed first? "Insert: Moderator"

Last edited:
Just see many new threads from new members slip away into oblivion,
because it is an old question, and I respond to be cordial.

And I am going to stop........

I always wondered how Lake could respond to every single question related to a newbie stihl saw, even if it had been asked several times before. Goes to show what an added value he was to this site, and to newbies in particular.

I can understand you want to stop yourself though. It takes a kinda special person to continuously teaching others with little reward, and we all have a job to do.

Newbies are part of any forum, and I remember joining this site. Many diehard loggers, arborists, saw tuners, etc. at that time, so I too was a bit scared to post, as I did not have any added value of info.

A newbie should have a senior member as mentor for a while, who would guide him on questions, etc, untill he finds himself comfortable to post in the forum.

Let's face it the search function on these and similar forums as well as google are not worth much as they become more and more cluttered with inane and irrelevant stuff. The problem with being a newbie is to begin with they can't separate gold from camel dung, and most newbies are battling to ask the right question let alone understand some of the answers they are provided with. A big problem with education of any kind is most folk that have the knowledge think that because they are know they can teach it. It's not just about answering newbies questions or FAQs or Wikipedias because education is about engagement - eg asking the newbies the right questions right back at them - think Socrates. There are folk on this forum with a lot of knowledge but they simply can't impart it effectively either because they don't know how to, or cannot explain themselves within the limitations of the web. Then then there are old timers that you have to work with (virtually in silence) to learn from, and then there are a few knowledgeable types that are really good teachers.

Belgian - you really hit it on the head with this
I can understand you want to stop yourself though. It takes a kinda special person to continuously teaching others with little reward, and we all have a job to do.

You can teach a newbie a lot more by asking them only questions and leaving them to figure out the answers.

Well said Bob.
It helps also when a Newbie uses some manners.
All too often you see first posters not using a "Hi" at the start and a "Thankyou" at the finish.
It was only in the last few days a newbie used excellent manners and recieved a considerable amount of rep for his post.

I always wondered how Lake could respond to every single question related to a newbie stihl saw, even if it had been asked several times before. Goes to show what an added value he was to this site, and to newbies in particular.

Newbies are part of any forum, and I remember joining this site. Many diehard loggers, arborists, saw tuners, etc. at that time, so I too was a bit scared to post, as I did not have any added value of info.

A newbie should have a senior member as mentor for a while, who would guide him on questions, etc, untill he finds himself comfortable to post in the forum.

I remember it the same way - and we joined the same month.....:cheers:

The first one I remember coming to my rescue was Trimmmed, long before he became a mod - and Mike Maas (don't remember his "new" user name) - ooops, just remembered , "Kneejerk bombas".......

I often had a hard time, trying to explain that facts are facts, and that opinions just are opinions - a bit later I got into the 440/460 vs. 372xp debate, and ended up believing that the 372xp actually is closer to the 460 in most cuts, because of superior cylinder porting giving it a better high end performance. I still believe that is true, but "they" ( Jokers, bwalker and EHP are those I remember) had a hard time convincing me - it was great fun!

Last edited:
Well said Bob.
It helps also when a Newbie uses some manners.
All too often you see first posters not using a "Hi" at the start and a "Thankyou" at the finish.
It was only in the last few days a newbie used excellent manners and recieved a considerable amount of rep for his post.

Yep, manners certainly helps, but manners are not just for newbies either.

Such questions amuse me. Assuming that this is a serious thread and not just another Fish joke that has not registered in my thick head may I ask some questions of those who are beneath answering or even reading chainsaw questions on this chainsaw board?

1 Why dont those who are bored with chainsaw questions go read the latest Michael Jackson blogs instead of logging on here and complaining about chainsaw questions?
2 Why is it not a problem to ask a question like this on a chainsaw forum but is a problem to ask a chainsaw question?
3. Why does Joe average chainsaw forum reader become Joe avaerage chainsaw forum moderator after he gets a couple of those stupid gold stars under his name?
4 Why do I read anything that Fish posts? Hey I can answer that one! Only when I am bored of looking at chainsaw questions.

newby forum

I just joined tonight...but after reading the attitude of members toward new members i just quit...
It seems the attitude of helping others has just got too much for you to handle...
I am a member of other clubs and our main effort is to help others. (newby's)
By reading your forum it seems the opposite...
Suggesting charging new members for help???
l suggest you guys let go of yourselves and put your hand to more constructive work.
I could say a lot more but I think i"m wasting my time......
GOODBYE

I just joined tonight...but after reading the attitude of members toward new members i just quit...
It seems the attitude of helping others has just got too much for you to handle...
l suggest you guys let go of yourselves and put your hand to more constructive work.
GOODBYE

The sentiments of not helping Newbies is not that of everybody.
You would get the same balance anywhere you go, anywhere.
Water of a duck's back you know and if you can't handle a bit of constructive criticism, maybe this forum isn't for you.

GOODBYE

You have some good points, but far from all of us are like you suggest we are......:givebeer:

GOODBYE

boo hoo, as a newbie myself i expect to catch some flack if i ask a stupid question.but im not gonna cry about it.this guy probably was a tree hugger anyway

GOODBYE

He'll be back the first time he runs a tank of straight gas through his "good" saw (wildthing) (if he can get it to start.) He'll probably set up a different username for that, though. :greenchainsaw:

Hello,greetings and salutations oh most revered ones on this forum.
As a newbie i have not found enything but joyfullness and a lot of help on this forum.
i use the search function a LOT and yes,a LOT of reading there that does not relate to the subject being searched for..thats when i ask,sometimes good help from answers,sometimes nothing but thats the way it goes..
a newbie must understand that expecting precise,consice,easy to understand answers to every question from people that have a life ,a job and other things to do besides sitting in front of the computer answering questions is not always to be expected..
yes,,the topic in a post sometimes goes off subject and turns into more of a "social" thread but if it was ALL bussiness that could get boring too.
i would like to note that i have found more GREAT info on this site that i could find nowhere else..
as a "newbie" i am on bended knee humbly expressing my unbounded gratitude and thankfullness to ALL those that contribute here..
( hows that ? do i get a REP or what ?? )
LOL !! thanks guys,really..

Latest posts

Back