Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modifiedmark
Been thinking about this some more and now think I remember the part about the P65 having the BP cyl but not the BP piston. It seems I thought there was a difference in the piston pin also which would maybe mean the crank was different as well.

I don't think I knew about the crank brg being different on the 65 and 655 then the 62 etc.

jerrycmorrow

jerrycmorrow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
As usual my camera dont show the green and purple colors right. ???

Now to work on the decals for the lime green and purple clutch covers. ;)

How're you making those decals? I just drew a decal on auto cad (in color). Looks pretty good but can't figure out what medium to print it on. Any ideas

RedneckChainsawRepair
How're you making those decals? I just drew a decal on auto cad (in color). Looks pretty good but can't figure out what medium to print it on. Any ideas

I'm just using bumper sticker type stuff. Because I'm not really trying to make them the right way like the guy that sales them. Just my play projects for fun.
I would clear coat them after applying IMO. But for me I dont care it's just for fun.

Guido Salvage

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Got a 655!

After a lot of searching I was finally able to locate a nice 655 to add to the collection. It will strictly be a GTG saw, came with the original manual as well.

PoulanPro6554_zps3f40df08.jpg

PoulanPro6556_zpsd57162e0.jpg

PoulanPro6555_zps049c06e7.jpg

PoulanPro6552_zps4d5ba16e.jpg

PoulanPro6553_zps228406e9.jpg

jerrycmorrow

jerrycmorrow

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'm just using bumper sticker type stuff. Because I'm not really trying to make them the right way like the guy that sales them. Just my play projects for fun.
I would clear coat them after applying IMO. But for me I dont care it's just for fun.

please excuse my thickness but where could one acquire said stuff? i'm guessing you print it out on a desk top printer?

telemaster

telemaster

ArboristSite Member
245A Questions

It's been a while since I posted. Still working on the 245 that I burned up about two years ago... I have a new cylinder and rings, cleaned up the piston and am ready to put her back together. Before I do, I was hoping to get a couple questions answered before I make another dumb mistake.

With that said: Two questions for you Poulan experts....

1. Does anyone know the ring gap on a 245A? I had new rings made, and need to file the gap myself.

2. Is there enough room to remove the base gasket on this old saw and bolt the jug straight to the crank case? If no, what thickness gasket do I need? I'll make my own rather than trying to find NOS.

Thanks in advance!

3000 FPS

3000 FPS

Dirt Roads are fine by me.
. AS Supporting Member.
It's been a while since I posted. Still working on the 245 that I burned up about two years ago... I have a new cylinder and rings, cleaned up the piston and am ready to put her back together. Before I do, I was hoping to get a couple questions answered before I make another dumb mistake.

With that said: Two questions for you Poulan experts....

1. Does anyone know the ring gap on a 245A? I had new rings made, and need to file the gap myself.

2. Is there enough room to remove the base gasket on this old saw and bolt the jug straight to the crank case? If no, what thickness gasket do I need? I'll make my own rather than trying to find NOS.

Thanks in advance!

I will answer your base gasket question.

In the top of the cylinder at the outer most edge is an area called the squish band. It is the area that is closet to the top of the piston when it comes up on compression. The squish band is intended to force the gases toward the middle of the cylinder where the spark plug sits.

So now what you have to do, is to put the cylinder on, with the piston without a base gasket.
Remove the spark plug and put a piece of solder in the spark plug hole so that it touches the cylinder wall. Have the solder facing in the same direction as the wristpin so that it gets maximum compression. Now rotate the cylinder by hand with the flywheel until you compress the solder all the way. I actually rock it back and forth to make sure I flatten the solder out good. Then remove the solder and measure the flattened out spot with a set of dial calipers.

The measurement you get will tell you what the squish is for the saw. In your case I would not go less than .020" of an inch and in fact I usually go for .020 to .025 on alot of my saws. If you have more than that with the base gasket removed your good to go.

Remember you must use a sealant on the cylinder base like, yamabond or something similiar. Do not use RTV.

fossil
Patio find

So, I come home this afternoon and what's lying on my front porch? A Stihl MS 260.

My neighbor had a small fir tree cut down and I guess the arborist left it there. I tried to get the flippy cap on the gas tank open, intending to take a leak in it, but after 15 minutes I gave up and took it over to my neighbor's so they could return it.
I didn't have the paint to green it up either.
One day, a freebie will come my way.

Last edited:
machinisttx

machinisttx

Addicted to ArboristSite
I had a bit of time after getting home this afternoon before leaving for the gym, so I took another look at the 306A I picked up at the scrapyard. Evidently, I either didn't look well enough at the P/C last weekend, or I knocked something loose when I pulled the muffler to have a look. It's trashed and blows less than 90 psi. :(

3000 FPS

3000 FPS

Dirt Roads are fine by me.
. AS Supporting Member.
I had a bit of time after getting home this afternoon before leaving for the gym, so I took another look at the 306A I picked up at the scrapyard. Evidently, I either didn't look well enough at the P/C last weekend, or I knocked something loose when I pulled the muffler to have a look. It's trashed and blows less than 90 psi. :(

That's not good. I guess your going to have to pull the cylinder and see if it is salvagable now.

Latest posts