Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On rings FWIW.

I have been using rings from 'The Greek' on evilbay. Must be a dozen or more sets by now. I try to find plain end rings that will fit the bore and end up with .005"-.008" end gap. I then file the notch for the (vertical) locator pin with a 1/16" dia. swiss pattern file. (tiny little sucker).

The improvement in compression going from a called for .070"-.080" end gap to .005"- .008" is not all that great but it is there.

Also using rings 1.5 mm thick is a couple thousands thinner than the nominal 1/16" thickness used on domestic built saws. But the extra side clearence don't seem to hurt.

I have been using rings from 'The Greek' on evilbay. Must be a dozen or more sets by now. I try to find plain end rings that will fit the bore and end up with .005"-.008" end gap. I then file the notch for the (vertical) locator pin with a 1/16" dia. swiss pattern file. (tiny little sucker).

The improvement in compression going from a called for .070"-.080" end gap to .005"- .008" is not all that great but it is there.

Also using rings 1.5 mm thick is a couple thousands thinner than the nominal 1/16" thickness used on domestic built saws. But the extra side clearence don't seem to hurt.

I have tried that as well and seen no improvement, defiantly not work the trouble or the danger of the little piece left that could break off.

The ring gaps get too much attention here, the condition of the ring, its tension on the cyl wall, fit to the piston is what is really important as far as I'm concerned.

Poulan 325

What kind of rpm to these saws like. Mine came from the previous owner turning a little over 14,000 but I couldn't hear it 4 stroking like I'd like so I've got it tuned back to about 13,300 which now sounds a little rich. I don't want to be too conservative but I also don't want to be looking for a new top end because I understand they are a little scarce.

What kind of rpm to these saws like. Mine came from the previous owner turning a little over 14,000 but I couldn't hear it 4 stroking like I'd like so I've got it tuned back to about 13,300 which now sounds a little rich. I don't want to be too conservative but I also don't want to be looking for a new top end because I understand they are a little scarce.

The PP325 were rated to 14K and they meant it! :msp_biggrin:

Your getting me hooped up to get mine out again, I think I'll take it to the Indiana GTG next week. :rock:

The PP325 were rated to 14K and they meant it! :msp_biggrin:

Your getting me hooped up to get mine out again, I think I'll take it to the Indiana GTG next week. :rock:

Thanks Mark. I leaned it out a few hundred rpm and it really runs strong. I think these are really nice saws. I think I like it better than my ported 330.

5200 stuck piston how do i get it out?

the 5200 i got off of the bay came today and the piston is stuck in the cylinder it does not look scored but the saw does have signed of being in moisture. I have the cylinder bolts out and filled the cylinder of with marvels mystery oil through the plug hole. i rotated the flywheel as much as i could to see the cylinder from the bottom and it looks ok as well. what should i do? let it soak?

any advice please.

the 5200 i got off of the bay came today and the piston is stuck in the cylinder it does not look scored but the saw does have signed of being in moisture. I have the cylinder bolts out and filled the cylinder of with marvels mystery oil through the plug hole. i rotated the flywheel as much as i could to see the cylinder from the bottom and it looks ok as well. what should i do? let it soak?

any advice please.

Should have used a penetrant like Aero Kroil oil instead of a lubricating oil.

Dump that out and get some good stuff in it and let it set. Come back in a few days (or less) and it will probably free up.

You should have asked here first! LOL

any advice please.

Should have used a penetrant like Aero Kroil oil instead of a lubricating oil.

Dump that out and get some good stuff in it and let it set. Come back in a few days (or less) and it will probably free up.

You should have asked here first! LOL

Yep. The rings probably rusted to the chrome. A few days with some penetrant should free it up.

Mike, I built another "Super" 330 :msp_sneaky: I will be calling this one "Super Duper" 330. Yeah it's a runner, will spank the one you run in Kentucky......

If that is the case, It will definitely spank mine.
But I'm tickled with mine nonetheless.
Looking forward to running "Super Duper"!!!

Mike

Latest posts

Back