Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A special day in the Roberts house

I said to my wife tonight, "I need some new T shirts, they're pretty worn out". She said "Yeah, well whose fault is that?". I said "Maybe someting in Poolan green."

and she said "That's Polean"
I liked that. She's a keeper.

Parts for Micro XXV

O.K. guys, I'm guessing parts are going to be scarce?

I took a chance on a Micro 25 (ebay) and it has only 90 lbs compression. Tore the saw down and it actually has a good piston (and ring doesn't look too bad) but someone definitely tried to clean up the cylinder bore and I imagine it is significantly oversize now.

Is there any source (aftermarket) for a new cylinder and piston ring....or will I have to find a good used one?

I'd like to get this saw running....to keep in my truck at all times. I often have small pine trees across the roads on the ranch and it would be handy to have with me. Just a 'beater' saw.

I will need to put a carb kit in it (K10 wat ?), new fuel lines, air filter, etc. I know all of those things are available.

Thanks,

Flint

I took a chance on a Micro 25 (ebay) and it has only 90 lbs compression. Tore the saw down and it actually has a good piston (and ring doesn't look too bad) but someone definitely tried to clean up the cylinder bore and I imagine it is significantly oversize now.

Is there any source (aftermarket) for a new cylinder and piston ring....or will I have to find a good used one?

I'd like to get this saw running....to keep in my truck at all times. I often have small pine trees across the roads on the ranch and it would be handy to have with me. Just a 'beater' saw.

I will need to put a carb kit in it (K10 wat ?), new fuel lines, air filter, etc. I know all of those things are available.

Thanks,

Flint

Some of the rings, pistons, and cylinders for these saws are still available from Poulan parts outlets. Carb kit should be K10-WAT unless it has a Zama. Fuel line is 3/32"x3/16".

anyone know what the fuel line sizes are on the 361? according to the ipl it looks like the internal and external are different sizes. gonna take the tank side cover off so i need to be parts upped. also, do i need a gasket for reassembly or can i just use yamabond?

anyone know what the fuel line sizes are on the 361? according to the ipl it looks like the internal and external are different sizes. gonna take the tank side cover off so i need to be parts upped. also, do i need a gasket for reassembly or can i just use yamabond?

Don't do it, your asking for troubles taking that side cover off, those screws don't like to come out in one piece.

Your better off taking the rear handle off then removing the bulkhead fuel line fitting from the back of the tank.

Put a 1/8x3/16 line on the tank side of that fitting then screw it back in. Fish the line out the fill opening then put the filter on it.

Use a 3/16IDx5/16OD line from the tank to the carb.

Don't do it, your asking for troubles taking that side cover off, those screws don't like to come out in one piece.

Your better off taking the rear handle off then removing the bulkhead fuel line fitting from the back of the tank.

Put a 1/8x3/16 line on the tank side of that fitting then screw it back in. Fish the line out the fill opening then put the filter on it.

THAT..............is the voice of experience!

Mike

Thanks mark, I've already got plenty of that type of experience. Sure don't need more. I've never had good luck trying to get those type fittings out, period. Ima give it a try though. Need any heat? Definitely gonna soak it with kroil first though. I was also thinking of trying to pull the line on with a wire through the fitting. Will try the "easy" way first.

Thanks mark, I've already got plenty of that type of experience. Sure don't need more. I've never had good luck trying to get those type fittings out, period. Ima give it a try though. Need any heat? Definitely gonna soak it with kroil first though. I was also thinking of trying to pull the line on with a wire through the fitting. Will try the "easy" way first.

No problem with that fitting but a heat gun wont hurt any I guess.

The right sized thin wall deep 1/4 drive socket helps on that fitting or a 5/16" Craftsman ign wrench.

Keeper

Poulan 4000 (new to me).

poulan4000c800x598_zps4fa9c7a8.jpg

Can we say “compression”?

poulan4000a598x800_zpsd244c9ca.jpg

Thanks,

Flint

I have a very nice micro in a pp180 with a good p/c that I would sell. That has a chrome bore. It has only minor issues. If you want more info, let me know. I believe I have a few nos cylinders too, but I'd have to check.

Poulan 4000 (new to me).

poulan4000c800x598_zps4fa9c7a8.jpg

Can we say “compression”?

poulan4000a598x800_zpsd244c9ca.jpg

Real Nice acquisition Flint!! :msp_thumbsup: The 4000 is my favorite all-around firewood saw. I got 4 of em LOL. Never checked the compression on mine, but can tell you they do have more than the typical 3400. Looks like the saw was cared for in its life time. I usually use a 20" bar on mine. I do keep one with a 24" also. It handles it just fine!

:cheers:
Gregg,

Last edited:
OhioGregg wrote:

The 4000 is my favorite all-around firewood saw.

That is what I see this one doing...most of the time.

I got 4 of em LOL.

Wow, you'd never find even one...around here.

Never checked the compression on mine, but can tell you they do have more than the typical 3400.

Yes, my 3400 and 3800 (even with new rings) last I checked...were only 135 psi. I think I have traced this saw back to being one of 'Brads' (a few years ago). I suspect...he worked on it some. 160 psi would be excellent for a 4000, this one is pushing 185 (and feels like it when you crank it).

I usually use a 20" bar on mine. I do keep one with a 24" also. It handles it just fine!

This one will wear a 20" bar from here on out. I have a 24" on my 4900 and could put a 32" on it (with skip) if need be.

All I need now (well maybe not NEED) is a big saw to pull a 36" bar. I really, really, really...want a SOLO 603, but doubt I will ever find one.

Anyway....thanks to everyone for steering me toward the 4000 over the Echo CS-6700, I believe the right choice was made.

Flint.

Back