Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OhioGregg wrote:

Yes, my 3400 and 3800 (even with new rings) last I checked...were only 135 psi. I think I have traced this saw back to being one of 'Brads' (a few years ago). I suspect...he worked on it some. 160 psi would be excellent for a 4000, this one is pushing 185 (and feels like it when you crank it).

Flint.

Flint, If thats Brad's old 4000, it will be in real nice shape as I remember it. Yes , he did do a little messaging on it. Think he had some videos of it cutting. :)

That saw has done some traveling, LOL Don't remember where Brad got it, but it went from Ohio to Hawaii, to Texas. None of mine were bought around here. All though I have seen one recently for sale locally.

The 4000 won't have the power of your 4900 by a long shot. But, it will be more "handy". Some will say they are to heavy, old, etc. I say BS!!! I think they are one of Poulan's best looking saws, most reliable, simple designs that have stood the test of time.

I ran nothing but a 3400 for 20+ years. So when I started using a 4000, it was second nature to me. So used to running that style of saw. More power & torque, sexier looking didn't hurt. LOL
I use the 4000 on trees up to about 24" or so....bigger than that, then I will use a 4200 or 5200. And I dearly love those too. :msp_wub:

As far as the other saws you mentioned wanting, Solo, Echo etc. I know nothing about them. But, you can still look for those..you can at least scratch one of them off the list now..the 4000, LOL

:cheers:
Gregg,

Don't do it, your asking for troubles taking that side cover off, those screws don't like to come out in one piece.

Your better off taking the rear handle off then removing the bulkhead fuel line fitting from the back of the tank.

Put a 1/8x3/16 line on the tank side of that fitting then screw it back in. Fish the line out the fill opening then put the filter on it.

Use a 3/16IDx5/16OD line from the tank to the carb.

Repped for great advice & info.

Hmmm......maybe there was a reason I sent my Wright 136 (Poulan 361) on to another ASer :monkey:.

i have been slacking on my posting but here is an update

I was laid off after 8 years at my job along with 49 other people (RIF), so i have been gathering my thoughts and working on small engine equipment as well. i picked up a very nice S25CVA with green case and have been working on a few of my Homelites (Super 2, 2 Super XL's blue/red and 2 XL12's blue/red. the Homelites have the exact same spike as the 245 & 306 Poulans, those saws are so similar in many ways. pictures soon,

I was laid off after 8 years at my job along with 49 other people (RIF), so i have been gathering my thoughts and working on small engine equipment as well. i picked up a very nice S25CVA with green case and have been working on a few of my Homelites (Super 2, 2 Super XL's blue/red and 2 XL12's blue/red. the Homelites have the exact same spike as the 245 & 306 Poulans, those saws are so similar in many ways. pictures soon,

Wow ... feel really bad for you.

I got shown the RIF door in 8/2008 and didn't find a job for 15 months. Not making as much, but I AM working.

You'll land on your feet; maybe in an unexpected place. There is ".. always opportunity in change .."

Guys after much thought I've decide to part ways with my big Poulans. BY that I mean my 4200, 5200,, PPP405 and 655BP. I'll never use them and I figured someone who wants one will get more use then I ever will. I'll be posting in the Classifieds this weekend with pics but I thought I'd let you guys know first. Comes a time when you have to decide if keeping them makes sense. I have no idea what they are worth any more so It'll be an auction.
Bob

Guys after much thought I've decide to part ways with my big Poulans. BY that I mean my 4200, 5200,, PPP405 and 655BP. I'll never use them and I figured someone who wants one will get more use then I ever will. I'll be posting in the Classifieds this weekend with pics but I thought I'd let you guys know first. Comes a time when you have to decide if keeping them makes sense. I have no idea what they are worth any more so It'll be an auction.
Bob

Bob, saws are different things to different people. That's the great thing about saws as a hobby, your free to do whatever and collect whatever trips your trigger, no rules.

If that's what you want then that's great, it will give some others who have been looking for some big ones a chance to own and enjoy them.

Bob

Good luck with your auction Bob, if I was a little closer I would be looking mighty hard at that 655.

oh crap...we have to use them?:msp_scared:....well if you aren't getting any enjoyment out of them you might as well send them to somebody who can. I am sure that wherever they end up they will be appreciated.

I was doing some maintenance on a bunch of mine yesterday, filling the tanks with fresh ethanol free/stabilized mix, starting them, draining the tanks and running them dry, and I kind of thought...this is crazy having so many saws....but I think it is just the hot wet weather...:popcorn: I spend way to much time mowing grass......:dizzy:

The only thing about mowing I like, is it makes me some loot. Besides that, eventually I would like zero lawn at my house, just gardens/pools/orchard and walkways through that stuff. .

I have no idea why people want huge lawns....I like trees/gardens. Pastures for critters I understand, but not lawns.... I guess if you were a croquet freak.....

Well...you are in the middle of busted needing repairs small engine equipment srason..so work is out there! Good luck whatever happens!

306?

298165d1370130101-306-jpg

No pic Tim...

I deleted the original post which may have caused that and posted another with a full sized pic. Sorry about that.
Have a look now. It shows on my computer. I think it looks in pretty good shape cosmetically anyway.
Do these saws run and cut well? I know they seem popular with some of the guys but I know next to nothing about them.

Got some parts for the Super72 yesterday and got time to work on it a little bit today.

I cringe when I here folks find a old saw and just go balls out to gas em up right away and see if they run. Things could be wrong that could damage them just by trying that, and if they get lucky and they do run, if run long at all they could damage them as well.

Here is a example of why I pull old saws apart before I even try to start them.

Besides the chipped plating in the cyl and the mismatched rings on the piston, take a look at these crank seals. It would not have run right at all, and if run for much time it could have completely melted down.

Here is the inside of inner( there are 2 seals on the PTO side) PTO side seal still in the brg housing, notice the lip of the seal.

attachment.php

Here is the outside of the inner seal after the outer seal was removed.

attachment.php

It was obvious to me before that this saw had been apart before from looking at the top end and now this is a example of someone putting seals in and not protecting the seal lips from a step on the crankshaft.

I pulled the flywheel side seal and found this,

The new seal is on the left in the picture

attachment.php

attachment.php

You guys do yourself a favor when you pickup these 40+ year old saws, take the time to check em out well before you try to start em up, let alone run them much. Rubber parts only last so long.

The saw would have run like crap and would have had to be torn down anyway.

Spent a few minutes fooling with the Poulan 44 two man. It won't turn over, so I pulled the cylinder shroud and what was left of the muffler off to have a look at the piston/cylinder. The "muffler" had a good sized dirt dauber nest in it that also filled part of the exhaust port. Cleaned that out and sprayed some solvent in the port to wash the dust out. The piston is at or near TDC and I don't see any scoring. I had pulled the plug, so I filled the cylinder with atf and screwed the plug back in. I wanted to pull the cover off the flywheel/magneto/whatever is behind there, but I'm going to have to make a puller to do it. Ran out of daylight, will fiddle with it more tomorrow and make a puller next week at work.

Spent a few minutes fooling with the Poulan 44 two man. It won't turn over, so I pulled the cylinder shroud and what was left of the muffler off to have a look at the piston/cylinder. The "muffler" had a good sized dirt dauber nest in it that also filled part of the exhaust port. Cleaned that out and sprayed some solvent in the port to wash the dust out. The piston is at or near TDC and I don't see any scoring. I had pulled the plug, so I filled the cylinder with atf and screwed the plug back in. I wanted to pull the cover off the flywheel/magneto/whatever is behind there, but I'm going to have to make a puller to do it. Ran out of daylight, will fiddle with it more tomorrow and make a puller next week at work.

Freakin mud daubers... They are my least fav bug. One built a nest in my nailer last year and I got to see how that worked as I had to completely disassemble it... :(

Latest posts

Back