Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S25CVA & Marks Hat

A very nice customer of mine dropped the S25CVA off last week in trade for fixing their trimmer. i went through it and cleaned it up. Did the usual fuel line/filter etc.

My son modeling the saw and Marks hat.
View attachment 298322

Still interested in knowing how ATF causes damage to a chainsaw P/C. :confused:

Listen, I was only trying to help, and tried to point out the follies of using lubricating oil to try to dissolve rust and such. You read some undocumented BS on the internet on some concoction of ATF and this and that and think it works so go have at it.

Trouble is your only using ATF alone, good luck with that.

Now I guess I must point out what should be obvious on how ATF can help damage a stuck P/C. How it works is the ATF don't help free a rusted cyl and then the all knowing owner starts beating and such on it, that's how it gets damaged.

Like Mike said, its your saw, use what you want to and good luck.

S72 coming along a bit.

I didn't tell you guys about the NOS cyl that a certain friend of mine had laying around for it did I?

Seems he bought it as a 2 1/16" cyl for another saw and found out when he went to use it that it was a 2 3/16" cyl so it went on the shelf. Should be good to go now since the piston isn't bad and I file fit a new set of rings to it today. :rock:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

S72 coming along a bit.

I didn't tell you guys about the NOS cyl that a certain friend of mine had laying around for it did I?

Seems he bought it as a 2 1/16" cyl for another saw and found out when he went to use it that it was a 2 3/16" cyl so it went on the shelf. Should be good to go now since the piston isn't bad and I file fit a new set of rings to it today. :rock:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice. Did you manage to scare up a recoil for it?

I might have got more done on the 72 today except I went and found this over in Teds back yard! :msp_wink: Actually closer to Chris's back yard but what the heck.

Things in nice shape and I got it cheap enough but might offer it up to someone who might want it to set with his other Skil...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice. Did you manage to scare up a recoil for it?

Yeah, a generous member here helped me out with one and we traded some parts for it. Under the grime I found a very small crack in one of the mounting boss's so its going to be welded tomorrow just for safety's sake.

I probably would have had more gumption to get it going today maybe, if I had the recoil ready for it. Guess I could wrap a rope around the starter cup... :msp_ohmy:

Yeah, a generous member here helped me out with one and we traded some parts for it. Under the grime I found a very small crack in one of the mounting boss's so its going to be welded tomorrow just for safety's sake.

I probably would have had more gumption to get it going today maybe, if I had the recoil ready for it. Guess I could wrap a rope around the starter cup... :msp_ohmy:

Well, those starters never broke. Just like my Grandfather's Seagull outboard. Had to keep track of the rope though.
Glad it's coming together. I hope you bring it in October.

I hope its running by then. :)

October? I was hoping it would be up and running by this coming weekend. :msp_biggrin:

On a side note. A friend of mine, Kevin, brought me a compression tester, so I could ck a few saws. Never could get the old one I had to work right. People have asked me over the last several years on here, what the comp was on certain saws. Could never give an answer. :dizzy:

I checked one of my 4000's, probably the nicest looking one. Had just a fuzz over 150 lb.
Checked my newly built 5200. That one had just a tad over 160 lb. Which kinda surprised me, my 385xp only showed 150 lb.

Will try a few more out of curiosity if nothing else.

Mark, that (25) Skillsaw would be a good match with Andre's (3400) Skillsaw

:cheers:
Gregg,

Claude Poulan was a good man.

I am happy to see the interest in this thread and the history of Poulan chainsaws. I am the grandson of Claude Poulan. I noticed a post about the Poulan name pronunciation on google which led me to it. The correct pronunciation is Pou (like so) and lan (like gun). (It is my middle name).

It is neat to see the interest in the history of such things as I have always been very proud of my grandads accomplishments. As many of you may know, he invented the first one man operated chainsaw, the "bow guide", while working with German prisoners in Texas during World War II. A little known fact is that prior to starting up the plant with his brothers in Shreveport he actually started making chainsaws with my grandmother, Gertrude, in their garage in Texas. They were very good people and I think that most folks would agree!

While I did enjoy learning about how the business was started and progressed, as a young man I regret that I never really appreciated or absorbed all of the valuable things that my Grandad tried to share with me about mechanical things. For this I do regret, but more importantly I did learn much about life from him and he will always be remembered fondly.

Best to you all,

Ty

Back