Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya, they looked good in pic, kinda wish mine were poulan branded... oh well, price was right. good luck w/yours

Thanks for the good luck, must have worked. Super XXV is now a runner and keeper. Dumped the gas, cleaned the points, rechecked and had spark. Refilled with Tru Fuel, retuned carb and after cool down starts on 1st pull.

Try the other one tomorrow or Tue.

Sent on the fly.

Hey all,

New to the site and have a problem with an older Poulan Wild thing 18" model approx. model year 2002-2003. I'm at work so can't get exact model #.

Saw when new never idled well. Would sputter and die in about 10-15 seconds of idle.

Fast forward to now. Was trying to cut down a tree that died so pulled out saw and fired it up. Started fine, but wouldn't idle down. Kept at about 3/4 throttle even though it should have been idling. Would run up to WOT ok, but chain would get hot fast(not sure if normal since it wouldn't idle down). Ended up ruining the bar(probably shot anyway). Bought new bar and chain b/c I figured I could still cut the tree down. Now with the new bar and chain I go to cut and it bogs down and cuts off. When it bogs it will stall the chain and clutch smokes. Then even w/out cutting the chain will stay stuck and smoke the clutch.

Not sure what it needs?
Clutch?
Carb rebuild?

Not sure what's causing the racing throttle/inability to idle. Nor do I know why the chain is stopping.

Any ideas are appreciated as I would like to keep the saw as a backup. The motor ran good prior to this year other than the poor idle as mentioned. Not the most powerful saw but always got the job done.
thx

You have an air leak somewhere. Extra air is getting into your cylinder somewhere causing the mixture of air/fuel to be lean, therefore causing it to rev up like it's doing. You can start by checking the fuel and impulse lines. If they are ok check the intake boot. A little more reading around the site will help you out a lot more than I can type. Vacuum testing is the easiest way to find air leaks.

Hey all,

New to the site and have a problem with an older Poulan Wild thing 18" model approx. model year 2002-2003. I'm at work so can't get exact model #.

Saw when new never idled well. Would sputter and die in about 10-15 seconds of idle.

Fast forward to now. Was trying to cut down a tree that died so pulled out saw and fired it up. Started fine, but wouldn't idle down. Kept at about 3/4 throttle even though it should have been idling. Would run up to WOT ok, but chain would get hot fast(not sure if normal since it wouldn't idle down). Ended up ruining the bar(probably shot anyway). Bought new bar and chain b/c I figured I could still cut the tree down. Now with the new bar and chain I go to cut and it bogs down and cuts off. When it bogs it will stall the chain and clutch smokes. Then even w/out cutting the chain will stay stuck and smoke the clutch.

Not sure what it needs?
Clutch?
Carb rebuild?

Not sure what's causing the racing throttle/inability to idle. Nor do I know why the chain is stopping.

Any ideas are appreciated as I would like to keep the saw as a backup. The motor ran good prior to this year other than the poor idle as mentioned. Not the most powerful saw but always got the job done.
thx

Along with what Cowroy said, which is a serious issue and can burn up your piston and cylinder in a hurry if it hasn't already done so, it sounds like your chain brake is hanging up or is on. If the bar and chain are getting hot it's likely that the oiler is not working as well or you are out of bar and chain oil.

Take minute and pull the muffler off and look at the piston and cylinder through the exhaust port. If the piston is scored, you are likely in need of a new piston and possibly a cylinder due to the air leak.

Anyone else got a pair of these? I didn't either and scooped em up when I found them.

attachment.php

can anyone tell me some AM seals for the PP375? OE no. is 530019097. tired of that sucker bogging when i turn it sideways. rebuilt carb, replaced all lines, replaced carb gasket, etc. figuring its the pto seal but just as soon replace both. con't have a vacuum gauge.

can anyone tell me some AM seals for the PP375? OE no. is 530019097. tired of that sucker bogging when i turn it sideways. rebuilt carb, replaced all lines, replaced carb gasket, etc. figuring its the pto seal but just as soon replace both. con't have a vacuum gauge.

Sure someone will chime in Jerry. Would be nice to have a cross reference for the old Poulans. Hadvsomebam's for thev3400 but didn't have much luck installing them.

National 253747

Get a extra or two in case you screw one up putting them in, there a PITA to get in there straight without hooking the side of the seal.

Better yet, after you get the seal out, take a pocket knife and cut a bevel around the case seal bore to help it get in.

PTO 530019097. SKF 6119 for double lip. SKF 6120 for single lip. National 253747.

bow bar chain guard and chain for 4484 bar

i am ready to utilize my bow bar #4484 and need a chain (80 links) correct? and the chain guard. Does anyone have a fabrication for this or now where i could get one? it likes like a bicycle chain guard to me.View attachment 310583

Latest posts

Back