Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
245 Fuel Line/Filter Replacement

Any particular caveats in separating the tank to clean things out and replace the fuel line and filter? Looks like one size line on the air box side and a smaller size in the tank with a barb fitting in between...at least in this particular case. Doesn't look like any other way to do it but separate the tank....and I just finished up a new gasket/seal job on a PM700 tank that I don't wanna go through again any time soon.

Tips? Tricks? Magic?

:cheers:

edit:

Well, I ended up popping the tank already anyway due to the fuel line coming loose from the barb while trying to get the filter back on. Line was shot as expected. What wasn't expected was a layer of some kind o' stuff pretty much all over the inside of the tank like a sealant of some sort. Comes off easily, but I can't help but wonder why it's there in the first place..., or if it was even supposed to be.

Last edited:
Remove the screw and seperate the tank is the only way i know for replace the line except if you know magic tricks.The filter is possible to replace without removing the tank but the line......,i don't think so.I think that the gasket will survive,you can use some sealant for join it back.I have removed mine many times,i have a new gasket but i never used it.

Last edited:
Remove the screw and seperate the tank is the only way i know for replace the line except if you know magic tricks.The filter is possible to replace without removing the tank but the line......,i don't think so.I think that the gasket will survive,you can use some sealant for join it back.I have removed mine many times,i have a new gasket but i never used it.

Looks like the gasket survived and is in good shape for re-assembly. Any thoughts about the coating on the inside of the tank? Does/did yours have it? (see edit to my previous post)

Looks like the gasket survived and is in good shape for re-assembly. Any thoughts about the coating on the inside of the tank? Does/did yours have it? (see edit to my previous post)
that coating is dried up old gas, ethanol fuel or just old fuel will do that after a long period of no use. clean it all out and you should be good to go.

245 Gas Cap Duckbill

So what I'm I looking for as a replacement? The typical little Stens red guy, or something "special"? I searched and came up with a reference to a Stihl 170 duckbill being suitable, but I can't imagine it's the only alternative replacement out there.

So what I'm I looking for as a replacement? The typical little Stens red guy, or something "special"? I searched and came up with a reference to a Stihl 170 duckbill being suitable, but I can't imagine it's the only alternative replacement out there.

Honestly, most any duckbill from a small engine gas cap will work. Trimmers, are a good choice.

Honestly, most any duckbill from a small engine gas cap will work. Trimmers, are a good choice.

It has to fit right to work right and not leak. Does the red Stens duckbill fit?:popcorn:

edit: Nevermind.

Looks like the Homelite or Poulan (Stens) generic valve should do the trick. Won't work on a SP81 cap without modification to the cap. Been there, done that and why I asked in the first place.

Last edited:
It has to fit right to work right and not leak. Does the red Stens duckbill fit?:popcorn:

edit: Nevermind.

Looks like the Homelite or Poulan (Stens) generic valve should do the trick. Won't work on a SP81 cap without modification to the cap. Been there, done that and why I asked in the first place.

The Homelite valves can be used but the hole in the retainer has to be enlarged to fit it.

Just use the Poulan Duckbill valve like there supposed to use. They fit right and are only about $2...

Post up a picture of what muffler parts your needing...

The Homelite valves can be used but the hole in the retainer has to be enlarged to fit it.

Just use the Poulan Duckbill valve like there supposed to use. They fit right and are only about $2...

Not sure which one the red/pink one is, but I had a couple and ran across a thread where you posted some pics of exactly what I needed to know....especially the Bic pen tube part.:msp_wink:

I'll get a couple muffler part pics. No biggie there, but would like to have a solid "screen" between the cover and the housing for better support of the fastening approach.

Again, no biggie, but here's what I'd like to replace..., and a pic of the cap solution. Fit right in.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Again, no biggie, but here's what I'd like to replace..., and a pic of the cap solution. Fit right in.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I got some muffler parts and I'll be digging through them in the near future to put together a muffler for the 744 I just acquired and I'll see if I have any extras of what your needing, wont be for a week or so though.

If the muffler from a 306A will fit, I'm pretty sure I have one that isn't bent up. I'll have to look though.

Latest posts

Back