Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm almost certain that the one on this saw is cast, but it's been a while since I looked at it.

Guys I went back today and there are no more seals for the PP475. The owner of this shop told me that the new bearing/seal assembly (505) will replace the separate seal and bearing without any problem. He convinced me enough to where I went ahead and bought the assembly to replace what I had.

He also told me the reason for the change is this, Jonsered/Poulan had a problem with the separate s/b spinning in the case thereby trashing the case. The JRed fix was to replace the that assembly with a bearing with built in (replaceable) seal and it had a wider outer contact patch with the case and stopping the bearing spinning in the case.

I am building a 415 and using a 505 setup and will report back my findings.

I thought Mark said if it had cast muffler it was points and if it was steel/tin muffler it was electronic

If he did, he's probably right. I'm just going by the five or so I've had go through my hands. All 306s I've had we're points saws.

Guys I went back today and there are no more seals for the PP475. The owner of this shop told me that the new bearing/seal assembly (505) will replace the separate seal and bearing without any problem. He convinced me enough to where I went ahead and bought the assembly to replace what I had.

He also told me the reason for the change is this, Jonsered/Poulan had a problem with the separate s/b spinning in the case thereby trashing the case. The JRed fix was to replace the that assembly with a bearing with built in (replaceable) seal and it had a wider outer contact patch with the case and stopping the bearing spinning in the case.

I am building a 415 and using a 505 setup and will report back my findings.

Thanks for giving it a shot, because you never know what might show up.

Looks pretty clean - posted it in the craigslist thread, just thought you Poulan guys might want a heads-up.

Antique chainsaw 1946

Antique chainsaw 1946 - $100 (18 wainwright DR Poquoson VA 23662)

Hard to say what there worth, but I would love to get my hands on that one.

Looks like its a bit far from you to beg you to snatch it up for me though...

I thought Mark said if it had cast muffler it was points and if it was steel/tin muffler it was electronic

I did say that!

If he did, he's probably right. I'm just going by the five or so I've had go through my hands. All 306s I've had we're points saws.

That's why they all had cast mufflers. :hmm3grin2orange:

The cast muffler will work on a 245 but far as I know and have ever seen, no 245 ever came with a cast muffler.

I have a chance to buy a 3400 for 65 dollars, might get it a little cheaper, the saw looks almost new. Not the original bar and chain though. I really don't need it, I have two 3400's now but it looks really nice. Is it worth that or what should I offer him. It is in a place kinda a cross between a flea market and pawn shop.

I have a chance to buy a 3400 for 65 dollars, might get it a little cheaper, the saw looks almost new. Not the original bar and chain though. I really don't need it, I have two 3400's now but it looks really nice. Is it worth that or what should I offer him. It is in a place kinda a cross between a flea market and pawn shop.

does he know what its worth? offer him $50. then send it to me. once, early in my CAD, had an opportunity to pick up two 3400's in Maumelle for $50. piddled around trying to get them shipped rather than jump in my truck and get them. someone else got them. just sayin.

Picked up a 36cc Poulan pro couple of weeks ago. I used some parts to repair another Poulan and noticed it has plastic inserts in the transfer ports, changing it from an open port to a closed port engine. Is this their way of making a closed port saw? Or is there another purpose? It's a strato engine and not the first time I've seen it. Any advantages/disadvantages to removing them?

does he know what its worth? offer him $50. then send it to me. once, early in my CAD, had an opportunity to pick up two 3400's in Maumelle for $50. piddled around trying to get them shipped rather than jump in my truck and get them. someone else got them. just sayin.

yup go get that saw!!

Picked up a 36cc Poulan pro couple of weeks ago. I used some parts to repair another Poulan and noticed it has plastic inserts in the transfer ports, changing it from an open port to a closed port engine. Is this their way of making a closed port saw? Or is there another purpose? It's a strato engine and not the first time I've seen it. Any advantages/disadvantages to removing them?

I'm also waiting for an answer or two on this question. I'm just putting one back together with a new piston and it doesn't seem to have much compression. It's quite different to previous box store Poulans:eek:uttahere2::msp_confused:

Regards,

Lee

I'm also waiting for an answer or two on this question. I'm just putting one back together with a new piston and it doesn't seem to have much compression. It's quite different to previous box store Poulans:eek:uttahere2::msp_confused:

Regards,

Lee

I've run them with the inserts in and I've also left them out.
I believe they actually run better (when ported) without them.

Mike

Poulan Pro 455

Been looking for one of these for a while to go with my 655 and found one on CL in Connecticut last week. The seller was agreeable to shipping and had it priced right, even after giving him $40 for mailing and his trouble I am in it for less than a Benjamin. Looks like the brake handle was broken in transit, this is how it arrived.

PoulanPro4557_zps2e2df762.jpg

Needs some clean up and attention, hopefully it will be ready for the GTG at Wiggs's.

PoulanPro4551_zps56838eb4.jpg

PoulanPro4552_zpsfc129d82.jpg

I have the handlebar, spike, bar and chain but they are not pictured.

Last edited:

If you need any parts... lemme know, I have a bunch. The P45/PP455 is one of my favs.
I can't tell from the pic where it's broke, but I believe the metal part is stamped steel and weldable.

Last edited:

If you need any parts... lemme know, I have a bunch. The P45/PP455 is one of my favs.
I can't tell from the pic where it's broke, but I believe the metal part is stamped steel and weldable.

You done real well on that one!!!You probably already know those saws were way ahead of their time and will keep up with pretty much any of today's 70cc offerings!!

Latest posts

Back