Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the clutch, Kevin. It arrived today and is already installed:)

Here,Happy Holidays.Pu'd up a NOS S25cva and saw this in pack.Thought might give an idea to someone.Enjoy, David View attachment 324306 View attachment 324307
That is an awesome find! Where in the world did you find that? I would be all over one of those!

I actually just ported one of those today. It was one of the newer yellow ones. I pulled the base gasket and still had .045" squish! I threw the jug on the lathe and brought it down to .020". I was more than surprised when I tested the compression and found an astounding 205 PSI! She makes RPMs too. I saw 13,200 while tuning it:)

I saw a Craftsman saw at a pawn shop that looks like this:
Craftsman46cc20in.jpg

(This is just an eBay pic of a similar saw.) Looked pretty good, but being sold "as-is" (which I assume means not running.)

How close is the Craftsman version of the saw to the Poulan Pro models, like the PP295 and PP4620AV? Does it have the chrome lined bore? I lifted the saw by the pull cord handle, and it came up, but did slowly lower back down, making me think that perhaps the compression isn't as good as it could be. If I pulled the muffler to check the piston, could I assume that if the piston isn't scored, then new rings would probably bring the compression back?

The bar it has is an 18" Oregon, chain had some life in it, condition looked a lot like the picture. Any thoughts about what it would be worth? I've got a pretty good idea what it would be worth to me, just wondering if anyone else can offer their opinion (I know, prices are regional, depends on condition, etc. etc.) Guessing that the pawn guy doesn't really know much about chainsaws, he's only going to know what he's got in it, so if my offer is above that I might get to take it away. I'll bet that he paid $20 for it, so negotiations would start just north of there (asking price on the saw is $50, a better price than I've seen on CL locally.) Gotta say, I do like red...

Scott in Penfield NY

I pick up saws like that one at the scrapyards for $5, which is about all they're worth to me if they aren't running. I have several of that style and I don't know if they're chrome bore or chrome piston...all are poulan green though.

Normally I woouldn't bring up an Ebay item but I'm sure everyone is at least watching that 3700 and 6000. Boy that 3700 is getting up there in price. I sold one about a year ago that barely exceeded $100.

I havent seen it yet, but I wouldnt mind another 3700. Of that series I see the 3700 the least. IMHO a huge difference up from the 3400 and maybe its just me, but I swear my 3700 is stronger than my 3800. A few better parts in the 3700 too

I havent seen it yet, but I wouldnt mind another 3700. Of that series I see the 3700 the least. IMHO a huge difference up from the 3400 and maybe its just me, but I swear my 3700 is stronger than my 3800. A few better parts in the 3700 too

The 3700 has the two thin rings as oppose to the two thick rings in the 3800. I believe that is the reason the 3700 always has better compression than the 3800. It is a stronger saw. I have a bunch of parts I have been gathering to put two more 3700's together. One green one red.

And if you loose the base gasket and shave about another .020 off the base you can get about 180 psi out of a 3700. You will never see that with the 3800. The highest I have been able to get so far from a 3800 is 155 psi which is still good in my book but just not as powerful as the 3700.

And if you loose the base gasket and shave about another .020 off the base you can get about 180 psi out of a 3700. You will never see that with the 3800. The highest I have been able to get so far from a 3800 is 155 psi which is still good in my book but just not as powerful as the 3700.
Roger with that much lowering of the cylinder does it affect the timing at all? Maybe I'm saying it wrong but aren't both the intake and exhaust ports much lower? Have you seen any affect? Just curious.
Bob

The saws always run pretty strong, but it probably would not hurt to raise the ports just a little because of lowering it that much. Especially the transfer ports. The intake port I do not think I would worry about.

The 3700 has the two thin rings as oppose to the two thick rings in the 3800. I believe that is the reason the 3700 always has better compression than the 3800. It is a stronger saw. I have a bunch of parts I have been gathering to put two more 3700's together. One green one red.

Yup the thin ring chrome bore saws always have more pop.
With the 3.7 saws you get the internals of the 3700, but not the h.d. starter or vented a/f cover.

I've run across a Poulan Pro 180 top handle. It's in great shape but I don't know how old it is and I'm also curious how good a saw it was when new. I'd just like some history on this saw in general. Thanks

Here is a pic of the Poulan I am trying to get information o00L0L_kxX8tndlfG_600x450.jpg n. Curious as to its age and any other general information. Thanks

Here is a pic of the Poulan I am trying to get information on. Curious as to its age and any other general information. Thanks
Here's some information on the PP180. From looking at parts lists, it seems that there was a model PP180C that had a brake, and I've seen pics online of these saws with the brake, and the ones I saw didn't say 180C on them, just 180.

Scott in Penfield NY

Latest posts

Back