Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found an older style 20" Sugi-Hara bar to fit my 4000 style Poulans also. Have one just like it on one of my S25's in 14". Only drawback that I see, is they are hard-nose bars and not sprocket tip. But, I just like the looks of them,:dizzy: and their well made also.

S25DA009.jpg

S25DA012.jpg

S25DA011.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

That sugi looks Great Gregg. I just picked up an NOS 20" Oregon Powermatch for my 4000. I like an 80's bar on an 80's saw.

Well,

I know a place where they could get a lot more love than that!!!

Mike

ha ha. Not gona happen! The little guy, like I said was my dads old saw which he gave to me and it was the first saw I ever ran, so its not going anywhere, kinda has some sentimental value to it.

And well the 5200, my Dads friend gave it to me. So I'd feel bad if I got rid of it, you don't want me to feel bad do you?

Sounds like a Mall but I think they were blue or green. Mine was so old I couldn't tell what color it was. Hard to start, hard to use.

Definitely not blue and reasonably certain it was some sort of yellow. Mall might be right. But as you said hard to start. The first trip to the woods it wore three guys out trying to start it. Into the shop it went. The second trip was not much better and I think they used starting fluid to finally get it fire up.
Better than an axe, I guess.:)

Definitely not blue and reasonably certain it was some sort of yellow. Mall might be right. But as you said hard to start. The first trip to the woods it wore three guys out trying to start it. Into the shop it went. The second trip was not much better and I think they used starting fluid to finally get it fire up.
Better than an axe, I guess.:)

Our Mall was about like an old McCulloch I used to have; by the time you got it started you didn't feel like cutting any wood. I had another Mall just a few years ago and I don't think it was yellow, but as old as it was it could have been repainted. It seemed like the first Mall we had didn't have a recoil starter so you had to wind the rope before each start. I don't think I ever did get the second Mall running but I didn't put much effort into it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Guys, I think I'm ready to do something with this saw. The cylinder doesn't look horrible, though I still need to clean it up. Mark had suggested going to a 60cc, a 380 I think. I like the idea & Calvin prices it within reach for me. Otherwise I could just get a new piston for it but, I have a stock 330 already.
What are your thoughts?
Will it feel stronger than my stock 330? I'm guessing it will & I most likely will mod the muffler, as seen here. Any other suggestions?
Thanks to all for any input.

The 60cc route is the one I would take, I think. I don't have a 330 to compare with my 380. But, I can tell you the difference between a 56cc 3400 and 61cc 3700 is notable!:clap:
I would think the same will go for that line of saws.

Gregg,

The 60cc route is the one I would take, I think. I don't have a 330 to compare with my 380. But, I can tell you the difference between a 56cc 3400 and 61cc 3700 is notable!:clap:

Gregg,

Gregg, I'm right now kicking myself in the ass for not bringing my stock PP365 to your place to run against the 380 just to see what is what.

I honestly think the 330 is not far behind if at all against the 365 at this point. I do think that will change when I get a chance to put the 330-380 style carb on it that you gave me. I'm thinking it's going to give the 365 a boost.

Torin, its your money you decide. I depends what you want to do with it I guess.

If that cyl couldnt be saved then it would be a no brainer.

Gregg, I'm right now kicking myself in the ass for not bringing my stock PP365 to your place to run against the 380 just to see what is what.

I honestly think the 330 is not far behind if at all against the 365 at this point. I do think that will change when I get a chance to put the 330-380 style carb on it that you gave me. I'm thinking it's going to give the 365 a boost.

Torin, its your money you decide. I depends what you want to do with it I guess.

If that cyl couldnt be saved then it would be a no brainer.

Well, we will just have to try them out sometime together again some time:clap: I have all kinds of cookie dough left.
I think the 380 will be my regular smaller fire wood saw. And the 245A & 385xp my larger wood saws.:) What little I have run it, that 245 is the cats you know what, as far as I'm concerned.

Gregg,

Well, we will just have to try them out sometime together again some time:clap: I have all kinds of cookie dough left.
I think the 380 will be my regular smaller fire wood saw. And the 245A & 385xp my larger wood saws.:) What little I have run it, that 245 is the cats you know what, as far as I'm concerned.

Gregg,

I knew you would like the 245!!!! Whats not to like?

Just let me know when and I'll do my best to get there.

Gregg,
I will say that the damage is far more on the piston that what I have on 3500, 60cc. Hard to tell about the jug.
To me it appears that carbon deposits were created and that did the scoring. Does anyone know what causes that carbon? I have a really old Poulan string trimmer that was of the same when I got it. Not scored that badly and I just cleaned it up and put in a new ring. The darned thing runs better every year.

Not familiar with those upsizings, are there any other changes necessary, such as carburetion or drive sprockets?
I was looking at Husq's site the other day, looking for a 60cc saw that might be direct replacement as to parts or jug in particular for Poulan 3500. They showed two saws very close to that size but the details said they had errors. Listed by displacement, the slightly smaller saw was shown to have more power. Say what? Looking more closely, they showed bore and stroke in details which were bigger for the less powerful saw. Real inspiring that the engineers can't figure displacement. But in those details was the rate of chain travel which was different between the two even though they showed the same max RPM. I have to wonder about that as well since the difference did not seem to be large enough to account for a different drive sproket, but then I did not check the pitch of the chain either.
It does however reassure me that putting a saw in the hands of some people would lead to dissaster. :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back