Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think so, looks to be original style muffler. But, the color of some parts on it, do seem a little odd.

Gregg,

That's the original style muffler from the factory. Guess you could say it's a "factory mod." Paint just looks faded and quite warn. Looks like it spent some time out in the elements. I got all I can handle with mine right now, pursuing some seals and trying to install them. Fun, fun, fun... Have to pull the oil pump to get to the pto side seal and the pump itself has a seal in it. Gonna have to take it to have it measured.

That's the original style muffler from the factory. Guess you could say it's a "factory mod." Paint just looks faded and quite warn. Looks like it spent some time out in the elements. I got all I can handle with mine right now, pursuing some seals and trying to install them. Fun, fun, fun... Have to pull the oil pump to get to the pto side seal and the pump itself has a seal in it. Gonna have to take it to have it measured.

Was wondering how you were making out with yours Steve. I know you and Nik were pursuing a possible air leak at the GTG. Good luck with that job, it don't sound like fun..:(

:cheers:
Gregg,

I have an Ebay search setup that sends me new listings for any Poulans I'm interested in. This came through this morning: poulan 5200 counter vibe

I just don't have the extra cash to pursue it. I hope someone here does.

If you read the description it says "had it running a small touch of starting fluid i did not power it with gas mix sold as is" how bad is the cylinder now?

I have an Ebay search setup that sends me new listings for any Poulans I'm interested in. This came through this morning: poulan 5200 counter vibe

I just don't have the extra cash to pursue it. I hope someone here does.

Stated by seller.
had it running a small touch of starting fluid i did not power it with gas mix sold as is

Ouch!

That 5200 has got a few hours on it. Looks as though someone cleaned it with purple power. I would be more worried about water and purple power in the engine than the starting fluid.

I don't recall which thread it was in..:dizzy: LOL So I will try to attach it here.

:cheers:
Gregg,
Thanks. I do have to wonder how he came by that info?
You will notice that a couple of the model numbers end in "C" and from what I've seen going around is that indicates a model that is approved or built specially for California's tougher pollution laws. I decided to check what the difference might be in the piston kit and my search only yielded M&D Mower. They cross it back to the standard non-California number. I suspect that would be highly illegal.
What I was hoping to find was details of that piston kit which might include a premium piston with two rings.

Anybody know where I can find a Piston and Cylinder kit with rings for a Poulan 3300 or Craftsman 3.3ci saw? Ive been cruisin Ebay lookin for parts saws no bueno on that, same with Craigslist, anyone got any ideas, even maybe another more common saw that has the same specs I could rob a piston out of and clean up the cylinder I have possibly...

Anybody know where I can find a Piston and Cylinder kit with rings for a Poulan 3300 or Craftsman 3.3ci saw? Ive been cruisin Ebay lookin for parts saws no bueno on that, same with Craigslist, anyone got any ideas, even maybe another more common saw that has the same specs I could rob a piston out of and clean up the cylinder I have possibly...

I checked Order Tree, they have the cyl. but not the piston ..:dizzy:

Gregg,

It seems to me that it would be better to stop debris at the filter in the tank rather than the screen in the carburetor. Am I wrong?
Where can I find such a tank filter that will stop that very fine dust that clogged up my carburetor?

I think the filters in the tank do a pretty good job but need changed every now and then. Some of the used saws I get in here look like they've never been changed and some aren't even attached to the fuel line. We also need to be careful when fueling up our saws that we don't accidentally get dirt in them then. I think the screen in the saw is a backup for when the other things I mentioned fail.

I checked Order Tree, they have the cyl. but not the piston ..:dizzy:

Gregg,

You guys should give Poulan a try as alot of stuff is still orderable.

No big deal if that piston is NLA just put a PP335 P/C on it and get a chrome bore out of the deal as well.

I just picked up a complete gasket set, seals, rings etc all for a 5200 that I ordered from Poulan. Guess what I'm working on in the near future?

Parts are just as cheap from Poulan as most anywhere. The rings were $6 a piece, gasket set $9.99 and all OEM.

Last edited:
You guys should give Poulan a try as alot of stuff is still orderable.

No big deal if that piston is NLA just put a PP335 P/C on it and get a chrome bore out of the deal as well.

I just picked up a complete gasket set, seals, rings etc all for a 5200 that I ordered from Poulan. Guess what I'm working on in the near future?

Parts are just as cheap from Poulan as most anywhere. The rings were $6 a piece, gasket set $9.99 and all OEM.

Yeah, I've ordered quite a few things from Ordertree here lately too.

I sent the seller a question about scoring and he said it has a very very small amount. Isn't that sorta like being a tiny bit pregnant?

Some of can live with a small amount of scoring, depending on how we use the saw or how often. I have a little Craftsman 2.1 that had a scored pc when I got it over 10 years ago and it does all right but I'll admit I don't run it much any more.

Yeah there ok, but I use a local guy so no shipping charges. You would be surprised how many local shops can order Poulan parts even if there not a dealer per say...
I agree Mark. Unfortunately for me I have 0 poulan dealer support. My local shop won't order anything but toro, husky or stihl. A couple others maybe. I have had very good luck with sears parts direct on line. We can get almost all the parts since craftsman made a corresponding saw. I know I could order a piston and cyl for my 3.7s if I had to. And they still carry a ton of other parts too. I do wish I had dealer support tho.

Latest posts

Back