Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of worn out but still cool.
za2yze7y.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Bob, I have found these old Poulans will really put out the oil, especially when ya just rev the things in the shop. :laugh:LOL If ya put that saw in the wood, it drastically reduces the excess oil getting all over things. :D To be honest, the more oil the better, the way I see it. Just makes me feel better knowing it is lubricating while cutting wood. I just wish all saws had both a manual oilier and an adjustable auto oilier.

As much as I run these 3400/4000 style saws, i automatically pump the oilier while cutting, don't really think about it. Just has become second nature. Its funny when I use a saw without the manual oilier. My thumb starts reaching to give it a few pumps...and no lever there..LOL Kinda like when I drove manual shift vehicles most of my life, then got a truck with automatic. For some time, my left foot was always reaching for the clutch that wasn't there. :oops:

Gregg,

Agree about excess oil not being a bad thing Gregg. Still having Hi speed issues with this 4000. Doesn't seem to want to exceed 9900 rpms but if you hold throttle wide open for 15 seconds it suddenly exceeds 11,500, really screaming. I still think the carb is messed up but I also think there could be a fuel issue cause after the carb disassembly I noticed a brown substance in the carb. May end up pulling fuel tank and looking at it real close and replacing the filter again. It looked clean initially but I may have been in a hurry.

Bob

Agree about excess oil not being a bad thing Gregg. Still having Hi speed issues with this 4000. Doesn't seem to want to exceed 9900 rpms but if you hold throttle wide open for 15 seconds it suddenly exceeds 11,500, really screaming. I still think the carb is messed up but I also think there could be a fuel issue cause after the carb disassembly I noticed a brown substance in the carb. May end up pulling fuel tank and looking at it real close and replacing the filter again. It looked clean initially but I may have been in a hurry.

Bob

Bob, did you run that carb through a ultrasonic cleaner?

My ultra sonic cleaner paid for itself with the first carb I used it on. Tore the carb down and re-cleaned it twice...still wasn't right, but looked clean by all accounts. Decided to spend the $68 on a USC instead of a replacement carb, ran it through a few cycles of the USC and was amazed at how discolored the solution was from the residual funk not cleaned out by shooting regular carb cleaner through it. Granted, I didn't soak it over night in carb cleaner or anything like that, but the USC did the trick in about 12 minutes.

Wish I woulda bought one much sooner. Comes in handy for all kinds of the things. Can even fit case halves into this one...one half at a time...sorta.:)

(apologies for the creamsicle example)

066Case in USC.JPG

I have never seen a Gray 4000 pulley before but I have not been doing this for long.
a5ajy6ad.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

W
My ultra sonic cleaner paid for itself with the first carb I used it on. Tore the carb down and re-cleaned it twice...still wasn't right, but looked clean by all accounts. Decided to spend the $68 on a USC instead of a replacement carb, ran it through a few cycles of the USC and was amazed at how discolored the solution was from the residual funk not cleaned out by shooting regular carb cleaner through it. Granted, I didn't soak it over night in carb cleaner or anything like that, but the USC did the trick in about 12 minutes.

Wish I woulda bought one much sooner. Comes in handy for all kinds of the things. Can even fit case halves into this one...one half at a time...sorta.:)

(apologies for the creamsicle example)

View attachment 328680
What did is you use for a solution and how long did you run it thru the USC?

W

What did is you use for a solution and how long did you run it thru the USC?

I just used a little Blue Dawn in water....just enough solution to cover the carb body to increase agitation (according to a tip I read somewhere) and to see any bubbles that would indicate a leaking welch plug. I used 4 long heated cycles with slight breaks in between cycles to not overheat the unit, then several plain ol' water cycles for rinsing, then a rinse under a faucet, then some very low pressure air to gently blow things out before putting it back together and back on the saw -- which started right up, tuned normally, and has been running fine since.

Last edited:
I just used a little Blue Dawn in water....just enough solution to cover the carb body to increase agitation (according to a tip I read somewhere) and to see any bubbles that would indicate a leaking welch plug. I used 4 long heated cycles with sight breaks in between cycles to not overheat the unit, then several plain ol' water cycles for rinsing, then a rinse under a faucet, then some very low pressure air to gently blow things out before putting it back together and back on the saw -- which started right up, tuned normally, and has been running fine since.
I'll retry using your approach. The Walbro HDB doesn't have welch plugs . I may have caused part of my problem by not running it thru plain water as the final step.

Back