Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's a good idea and I will likely do the same. Seems like poor engineering to run a steel(hard) bolt in/out of a mag(soft) case.

That's what I did with three of mine. Used a little red threadlocker and they hold fine.
Hey, which Poulan model is this Craftsman "Sears Best" 3.3 the clone of? Looks like a metal case saw, 54cc, no brake. Would that be a PP335? Or the 3300? Spotted this in a Craigslist ad and wondered what it was (not that I can buy a fifth saw in the same week... dang CAD!) Asking $60, says it's "just like new, starts right up." I seem to recall that the "Sears Best" saws were the "Poulan Pro" equivalent, does that sound right? Does look good for the $$. Looks like it comes with a dull chain collection, as well.

View attachment 328904

View attachment 328905

View attachment 328906

Scott in Penfield NY

View attachment 328920 The later saws used a bolt with a hex head instead of the allen head.

At least this one appears to be one of the latest ever made far as I know.

I have a late model Super 25, (not a XXV) with the black top handle and that saw has a steel thread insert pressed into the case for the bolt. Check that one of yours Mark.

Hey, which Poulan model is this Craftsman "Sears Best" 3.3 the clone of? Looks like a metal case saw, 54cc, no brake. Would that be a PP335? Or the 3300? Spotted this in a Craigslist ad and wondered what it was (not that I can buy a fifth saw in the same week... dang CAD!) Asking $60, says it's "just like new, starts right up." I seem to recall that the "Sears Best" saws were the "Poulan Pro" equivalent, does that sound right? Does look good for the $$. Looks like it comes with a dull chain collection, as well.

View attachment 328904

View attachment 328905

View attachment 328906

Scott in Penfield NY

Looks similar to a 335 to me.

Sears best 3.3, whats the best way to add a good working tank vent to these? I have a couple of 2700 & they have a different variety of tank vents. I don't see anything on this 3.3 & I think its whats causing my issues. What pieces can i go into a local shop & pickup for the conversion?

Sears best 3.3, whats the best way to add a good working tank vent to these? I have a couple of 2700 & they have a different variety of tank vents. I don't see anything on this 3.3 & I think its whats causing my issues. What pieces can i go into a local shop & pickup for the conversion?

It might have one of those sintered brass filter plugs like you see on an older Homelite fuel cap. I think someone on here (Aaron?) just drilled the top of the fuel tank and used the fuel line, fitting and duckbill set up thats so comon on the Poulans.

Would anyone (Mark?)know the crank end measurements of a S25DA crank.Mine doesn't show anywear(same measure all along length),measures .563 in.,and seems looser in new bearings.New bearings from Poulan,old ones were Torringtons.Thanks,Dave

The more I work on saws the less I seem to know. Got my 4000 going quite well. Bottom line though is if the air filter cover is on tight rpm's drop significantly. If I loosen the cover while the saw is running at wot, rpm's increase by around 500. In order to get rpm's the same with the cover tight the Hi needle is a little less than 3/4 open. Seems to me that's asking for trouble. Anyone have any ideas and am I too conscious about where the Hi needle is set.

View attachment 328904

View attachment 328905

View attachment 328906

Scott in Penfield NY

Scott, at one time I thought all the Sears Best 3.3 were more like the PP335 saws as they had the thing ring unplated piston and chrome bores but it turns out that some plated piston, plain bore saws turn up now and then, so it could have either.

Check the Sears part number for that saw at sears parts direct and look at the parts list for it. The parts numbers directly cross to the Poulan part numbers so you can tell from that which it is. For $60 it really doesn't matter.

What do you mean by a variety of tank vents? All 2700's should have the same vent setup, a line in the tank with a duckbill valve on the end of it. The Craftsman 3.3 should have the same setup I assume. Post up the saws part #...

I have a late model Super 25, (not a XXV) with the black top handle and that saw has a steel thread insert pressed into the case for the bolt. Check that one of yours Mark.

I'm not sure if I have seen one setup that way from the factory, but have seen quite a few repaired that way. I'll check this one sometime...

Would anyone (Mark?)know the crank end measurements of a S25DA crank.Mine doesn't show anywear(same measure all along length),measures .563 in.,and seems looser in new bearings.New bearings from Poulan,old ones were Torringtons.Thanks,Dave

That is the same measurement that I came up with back when I was measuring them up to find generic seals for those saws. Your crank is not worn. The brg part number is Torrington BH-98.

Those caged needle bearings will be loose compared to a roller bearing, that's just the way there made.

It might have one of those sintered brass filter plugs like you see on an older Homelite fuel cap. I think someone on here (Aaron?) just drilled the top of the fuel tank and used the fuel line, fitting and duckbill set up thats so comon on the Poulans.

Aaron did that on a 330 or such that originally had the tank vent duckbill on the side of the tank behind the case.

The 330, 380, 3450 and 3750 had the vent in that place while it seems all the rest had them through the top of the tank.

wow thats a good looking saw,,,,,,is it one of yours?

Yes it is mine, It was NOS but the stupid owner put gas in it and tried to start it, and he done the same with a NOS PP305 that I also got from him.

I also have a NOS Poulan Pro S25 (non AV) here that was missing a couple parts. I got the parts just need to put it together.

Thanks Mark,I swear new bearings have more play on crank then old ones.Also they sent 1 Torr BH-98 and 1 INA SCH98.Odd when pack says MADE IN CHINA,GUN shy because flywheel hit coil and found play in crank.Didn't notice it before,and cases are great.

What do you mean by a variety of tank vents? All 2700's should have the same vent setup, a line in the tank with a duckbill valve on the end of it. The Craftsman 3.3 should have the same setup I assume. Post up the saws part #...
Mark the 3.3 is model #358.351.202 I don't see a vent on it? 1 2700 had another line sealed up next to the carb line. The other one has more of what I expected to see, but the lines were all broken pieces layin in there. I didn't get time to look at the most correct one tonight.

Mark the 3.3 is model #358.351.202 I don't see a vent on it? 1 2700 had another line sealed up next to the carb line. The other one has more of what I expected to see, but the lines were all broken pieces layin in there. I didn't get time to look at the most correct one tonight.

The numbers get confusing sometimes with the part numbers getting superceded and such but it appears your saw should be more like a PP335 with the chrome bore.

Your tank should have two holes in it, one is for the vent line and the other is for the fuel line.

Latest posts

Back