Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you pull the welch plug? My 405 has a WJ carb. Haven't pulled welch plug but may have to. I plan to disable the governor today and see if that makes a differance. I may also pull the carb off my 655BP and use that to confirm its the carb. Believe they run the same carbs.

No I didn't pull the plug. That stuff just finds it way into all the passages.

Ambull01

I have posted this some time ago, but will again just so you can see how interchangeable these parts are. A friend of mine who cuts wood here at are place, uses nothing but Wildthings!! Picks them up cheap locally or where ever. He has cut a ton of wood over the years with them. I know, its amazing!. LOL They are not my cup of tea, but, I will not bad mouth them either!

Couple years ago, I thought I would try putting together a 3400 from various spare parts I had, and not tell him. Just hand him a complete saw, so he would have something with a little more snot, than the Wildthing.

This saw has a crank case from a 3.4 Craftsman, (gray). I bought it for $10, it was like new. The recoil & fly wheel are from 3400, as with is most of the parts. I had a cyl. & piston for it, muffler and various bits. The rear handle is from a early 3400 with the small holes, where the rear anti-vibe mounts go. I drilled them out so I could utilize the (hex bolt) rear parts I had.

I had a carb, fuel lines, filter etc. also. When I got done with it, I decided to use a 4000 P/Cyl. I had been saving for a spare for myself. Didn't really need it, I have 4 4000's. :D Glad I did. It is a lot stronger than the 3400 version, it was more work, to change it over again, but worth it. I had the 4000 air cleaner setup to put on it. Looks a little funny with the green top cover, but who cares out in the woods. I had a well used 20" bar & chain on it. I since got him a couple loops of new chain for it.

I don't remember off hand for sure, but the compression was between 150-170 on this saw when i checked later. Almost wish I had kept it..LOL The muffler is an old 3400 muffler I had, already been "modded". I know, looks like crap with the holes drilled in the front, I don't do it that way any more. LOL It is on the loud side too!

Frankenstein Poulan saw! Made from numerous spare parts from 3400/3700/4000

4000-5200008.jpg

4000-5200009.jpg

4000-5200004.jpg

poulans024_zpse4ad62e1.jpg

Gregg,

Ambull01

I have posted this some time ago, but will again just so you can see how interchangeable these parts are. A friend of mine who cuts wood here at are place, uses nothing but Wildthings!! Picks them up cheap locally or where ever. He has cut a ton of wood over the years with them. I know, its amazing!. LOL They are not my cup of tea, but, I will not bad mouth them either!

Couple years ago, I thought I would try putting together a 3400 from various spare parts I had, and not tell him. Just hand him a complete saw, so he would have something with a little more snot, than the Wildthing.

This saw has a crank case from a 3.4 Craftsman, (gray). I bought it for $10, it was like new. The recoil & fly wheel are from 3400, as with is most of the parts. I had a cyl. & piston for it, muffler and various bits. The rear handle is from a early 3400 with the small holes, where the rear anti-vibe mounts go. I drilled them out so I could utilize the (hex bolt) rear parts I had.

I had a carb, fuel lines, filter etc. also. When I got done with it, I decided to use a 4000 P/Cyl. I had been saving for a spare for myself. Didn't really need it, I have 4 4000's. :D Glad I did. It is a lot stronger than the 3400 version, it was more work, to change it over again, but worth it. I had the 4000 air cleaner setup to put on it. Looks a little funny with the green top cover, but who cares out in the woods. I had a well used 20" bar & chain on it. I since got him a couple loops of new chain for it.

I don't remember off hand for sure, but the compression was between 150-170 on this saw when i checked later. Almost wish I had kept it..LOL The muffler is an old 3400 muffler I had, already been "modded". I know, looks like crap with the holes drilled in the front, I don't do it that way any more. LOL It is on the loud side too!

Frankenstein Poulan saw! Made from numerous spare parts from 3400/3700/4000

4000-5200008.jpg

4000-5200009.jpg

4000-5200004.jpg

Gregg,

Hell, that looks freaking great to me. Shoot some Poulan green spray paint on the gray pieces and the handle and call it a day. Way beyond my ability but some day I would like to Frankenstein a saw just like that.

What is a good rpm to set on a 3400?

I agree with the above statements that the 3400s are a great place to start. You can perform some easy mods if you want, and they are a very reliable saw that will surprise some "saw snobs"

I really enjoy the look on the face of some Husky/Stihl users when I explain that my $40.00 saw is just as fast and probably more solid than their homeowner newer saws.

jasper89,
As I remember off hand, memory ain't what it used to be...:confused: Poulan lists them at 8500 rpm I believe. They will run faster than that, especially if modded in any way. I don't own a tach, just kinda set them by ear while cutting, in the wood. I think if muffler modded and tweaked, most of this series run comfortably at or around 10,000 rpm or more. No where near the 13,500-14,000 rpm of most newer saws though.

Gregg,

jasper89,
As I remember off hand, memory ain't what it used to be...:confused: Poulan lists them at 8500 rpm I believe. They will run faster than that, especially if modded in any way. I don't own a tach, just kinda set them by ear while cutting, in the wood. I think if muffler modded and tweaked, most of this series run comfortably at or around 10,000 rpm or more. No where near the 13,500-14,000 rpm of most newer saws though.

Gregg,
Thanks Gregg: I did a little muffler mod, eliminated the base gasket, advanced the timing and just cleaned up the exhaust port a little. So I guess that 10,000 is a safe place to start and then just tune by ear from there.

All of those mods were suggested by members here and they were and are extremely helpful in planning and executing.

Frank

Thanks Gregg: I did a little muffler mod, eliminated the base gasket, advanced the timing and just cleaned up the exhaust port a little. So I guess that 10,000 is a safe place to start and then just tune by ear from there.

All of those mods were suggested by members here and they were and are extremely helpful in planning and executing.

Frank
Yea, I'd say 10,000 is a good rpm stage, though checking by ear is best. Definitely not a high rpm or compression saw. Most run great at 120 psi and 125 -130 is typical

Shipping shouldn't be more than $25. Give me a chance to see what I have in spare parts. Pretty sure I have a muffler, fuel tank,clutch and possibly a coil, carb,and rear handle.
Bob

Oh damn, I'm so EXCITED!! I'm about to go outside and split more rounds with my Fiskars. I have dreams of upgrading P&Cs dancing in my head.

Hey Bull, I wasn't going to have CAD either, really don't have time for it like you.
Bought my first saw in August, a Stihl and now 4 months later I have this........

20141125_233812.jpg

Just saying, it happens:) But I haven't spent much $ on any of them either and with the kind advice from the fellas here I've learned a lot and can work on them.
Good people and a good hobby!

Thankfully, there is no known cure. It gives me the creeps just thinking about selling one.

Gives me the creeps too Tim... When ever I see something like that 3400 that just sold for $185, I start thinking..hmmmmm Maybe I should sell a saw or two. But then chicken out. :eek: Its just my luck, I would put a nice 4000 on Ebay and get like 3 bids, then stop at $75. LOL Dang it! I wanted the saws when I bought them. It's just two darn hard to part with them.

Gregg,

My wife and daughters encourage my hobby.

What they don't realize yet is it is going to have to become a two vehicle process. One for the actual wood and one for the armada of saws that accompany. I am shifting my thoughts from "how much wood can I cut in a day" to " how many different saws can I use". Catharsis?

What is a guy supposed to do?

Gives me the creeps too Tim... When ever I see something like that 3400 that just sold for $185, I start thinking..hmmmmm Maybe I should sell a saw or two. But then chicken out. :eek: Its just my luck, I would put a nice 4000 on Ebay and get like 3 bids, then stop at $75. LOL Dang it! I wanted the saws when I bought them. It's just two darn hard to part with them.

Gregg,

Yep. I like to have them around if for nothing else but to fiddle around and fix them up. Working on two old dogs now as I thought they would be nice to have running.

Still living in a Poulan vacuum around me. I wish a large displacement sand cast or two (and a 245A) would come up for sale locally.
I need to build another shelf to store them on. I think a 4 shelf high 12 footer would keep things neat for awhile.

Back