Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He had one. He like me was hoping to sell it for more but sometimes you don't get the right bidders interested.

Damn it. 3400 looks like a decent saw. Nice compliment to my DCS6421. Put a small bid on a 3400 that just sold for $185! That's insane. $35 more and I could buy another 6421 from HD.

I would call them the perfect first time saw fixer upper for someone who wants to learn.

Because they're easy to fix? Parts availability? I would fix and learn on my Homelite but don't think it's worth it.

I have found that it is most cost affective to learn from other peoples mistakes. I have an engineering background and I am a fast learner. Most mistakes violate some principle of the laws of physics or simple geometry.
The guys who share what they find are a great help.

True, I'm more of a hands on guy though. It's good to know what to watch out for but that hasn't stopped me from screwing things up.

Because they're easy to fix? Parts availability? I would fix and learn on my Homelite but don't think it's worth it.

Both. Most parts are easy to come by and they are easy to work on with basic tools. The only special tool you would ever need is a piston pin press tool if you wanted to replace a piston.
I find them very easy to work on and very forgiving. There are a few tricks you would need to discover but so many guys on here know them so you would easily get the help you need.
They are very reliable saws and fast cutters with a 16 in bar and chain.

Both. Most parts are easy to come by and they are easy to work on with basic tools. The only special tool you would ever need is a piston pin press tool if you wanted to replace a piston.
I find them very easy to work on and very forgiving. There are a few tricks you would need to discover but so many guys on here know them so you would easily get the help you need.
They are very reliable saws and fast cutters with a 16 in bar and chain.
Sounds like my kind of saw. Now just have to find a cheap one.

I have spent as much buying new chains/sprockets/carb kits/lines etc for my 3400's than the actual purchase price of the saws themselves. Although, even at a $185, one could argue if you are looking for one saw to fit your cutting needs you are still getting a lot of saw for the money. I am guessing you would be hard pressed to pick up a brand new saw with the same performance as a solid 3400 for less than twice that price. Regardless, as Tim and others have mentioned, what $ you can pick them up for, the abundant availability of parts, and the relatively straight-forward dissassembly/reassembly, are what keep them a sought after machine. Realistically, a good 3400 should be able to cut all the firewood you would likely need in a lifetime. But when it comes to building a collection, bargins are a must in this hobby. 3400's fit that profile. At least for me. I am just starting to learn and agree they are forgiving.

I would think with a little patience and $185-200 in hand, you should be venturing into really clean 85-100cc territory.

Gotta love them old Poulans and the sellers that only used them a handful of times.

Damn it. 3400 looks like a decent saw. Nice compliment to my DCS6421. Put a small bid on a 3400 that just sold for $185! That's insane. $35 more and I could buy another 6421 from HD.

AmBull01, I agree whole heartily with these other fellas! The 3400 is a great saw to start tinkering with. Just remember these saws are 30-35 years old now. They are old, but hardly relics. Piston ported, electronic ign., saws just like more modern saws. I paid $300 with tax for my 3400 back in 1986.

Back when I joined this site in 2008, there were very, very few fellas on here that had an interest in the old Poulan's.
You could find and buy 3400 saws, parts etc. for next to nothing practically. My how times have changed. :dizzy: The 3400 is a great one to start on, but don't forget, if you come across a 3700 or 4000, don't pass them up if ya can. They will likely cost a little more, but are basically the same saw. 3400(56cc) 3700(61cc) and 4000(64cc). "Most" all parts are interchangeable. They made way more 3400's than the others. So they are easier to come by. And I'm not even going to mention all the others that were made and branded for other company's.

Gregg,

don't forget to look in metal recycling facilities. I have a 4000 and a 3400 I paid $5 each for. almost got the 4000 running and accumulating parts for the 3400. take some basic tools with you and always pull the muffler to check for scoring. take a plug wrench so you can check for spark. have bought several of my saws that way. for $5 you can afford to sink some $$$ in. just sayin

Bob,

I am guessing it has an HS carb on it. I've had that very problem with two of them. I could only get it running pig rich. I disabled the governors which didn't help.
I finally pulled the carb covers, metering needle and mixture screws and dropped the carb in a glass and immersed it in Sea Foam for 24 hours and blew it out with low pressure air.
Worked like a charm. There must be small passages inside that the USC didn't clear.

Did you pull the welch plug? My 405 has a WJ carb. Haven't pulled welch plug but may have to. I plan to disable the governor today and see if that makes a differance. I may also pull the carb off my 655BP and use that to confirm its the carb. Believe they run the same carbs.

Sounds like my kind of saw. Now just have to find a cheap one.

Tell you what. I have a 3400 parts saw w/o the rear handle(long block???). I'll send you the parts to assemble the saw(may be missing some) for the cost of mailing. You can scrounge around for any missing parts and assemble it. I believe I even replaced the crank seals.

AmBull01, I agree whole heartily with these other fellas! The 3400 is a great saw to start tinkering with. Just remember these saws are 30-35 years old now. They are old, but hardly relics. Piston ported, electronic ign., saws just like more modern saws. I paid $300 with tax for my 3400 back in 1986.

Back when I joined this site in 2008, there were very, very few fellas on here that had an interest in the old Poulan's.
You could find and buy 3400 saws, parts etc. for next to nothing practically. My how times have changed. :dizzy: The 3400 is a great one to start on, but don't forget, if you come across a 3700 or 4000, don't pass them up if ya can. They will likely cost a little more, but are basically the same saw. 3400(56cc) 3700(61cc) and 4000(64cc). "Most" all parts are interchangeable. They made way more 3400's than the others. So they are easier to come by. And I'm not even going to mention all the others that were made and branded for other company's.

Gregg,

Damn are they really 30+ years old? Didn't think 2 stroke engines were that durable.

Tell you what. I have a 3400 parts saw w/o the rear handle(long block???). I'll send you the parts to assemble the saw(may be missing some) for the cost of mailing. You can scrounge around for any missing parts and assemble it. I believe I even replaced the crank seals.

Oh yes, how/when do I send the the shipping cost?

the beginnings of CAD. you saw it here folks. just sayin.
hey bull, this a great deal. go for it. use your resources. report back when you got it running. you can do it.

lol. I don't really know if I have time for CAD. Work a full-time job, part-time job, and do Army National Guard training once a month (I know, should have gone to Marine Reserves). Although I was thinking about using all the part-time job funds for chainsaws/necessary wood burning/cutting supplies.

I hope I can get it running. Would love to have a lime greenish saw next to the Makita. Love the way the 6421 runs but not crazy about the color or looks.

What is a good rpm to set on a 3400?

I agree with the above statements that the 3400s are a great place to start. You can perform some easy mods if you want, and they are a very reliable saw that will surprise some "saw snobs"

I really enjoy the look on the face of some Husky/Stihl users when I explain that my $40.00 saw is just as fast and probably more solid than their homeowner newer saws.

lol. I don't really know if I have time for CAD. Work a full-time job, part-time job, and do Army National Guard training once a month (I know, should have gone to Marine Reserves). Although I was thinking about using all the part-time job funds for chainsaws/necessary wood burning/cutting supplies.

I hope I can get it running. Would love to have a lime greenish saw next to the Makita. Love the way the 6421 runs but not crazy about the color or looks.
who's got time for CAD? it sorta bores in and demands its own allotment.

What is a good rpm to set on a 3400?

I agree with the above statements that the 3400s are a great place to start. You can perform some easy mods if you want, and they are a very reliable saw that will surprise some "saw snobs"

I really enjoy the look on the face of some Husky/Stihl users when I explain that my $40.00 saw is just as fast and probably more solid than their homeowner newer saws.

lol. That's one of the reasons I wanted the Makita. Everyone on this site has heard about them but for the general public, they usually have no idea Makita makes chainsaws (well actually Dolmar). You mention Dolmar and everyone I've spoken to has never heard of them, I didn't either until I found this site. Heard of Makita because of their power tools. I like having stuff that's not widely known but is comparable to the mainstream hot item. Hope that makes sense. An example would be my Caddy. Granted a lot of guys know about the CTS-V but not the average dude. They'll hear me manually shift and think I put in an after market 6 speed. Anyway, that was total rambling. Sorry

I've found there's just as much fan boy-ism with chainsaws as there is with cars/trucks/etc. I know Stihl makes great saws but never could get into the elitist mentality of it. Only can buy Stihl products from a dealer. WTF!? At least with Husqvarna I can run down to my local Ace Hardware and buy their brand of bar/chain oil. Stihl, oh heavens no. They will not stoop down to that level. They are a fancy pants saw/company even though they make homeowner class chainsaws. Okay, enough of my rant. I apologize if I offended any Stihl owners. Just had to get that off my chest.

who's got time for CAD? it sorta bores in and demands its own allotment.

True. I don't really have a hobby so I need at least one. Used to watch football but I'm boycotting it because of their issues lol. Chainsaws should be cheaper than going to games, depending upon the amount of saws of course.

Back