Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...That might have to do with the 16" bar someone stuck on it.

I have the identical saw and small radius, black 16" bar. I actually found I needed a 61 DL loop 3/8. The 60 called for was too tricky to get on (rim sprocket) and I could see someone not familiar getting frustrated. That and the inlet on the bar was way back on the oil galley in the bar pad with the 60. Funny bar.

I just put a 61 - 16" on one of my Pioneer P26 with a roller tip.. Maybe I'll check it for fit on the Mastercraft. I Have a vanguard 18" chain that would have fit the original 18" bar (that I had taken off my Craftsman 3.4 in favour of a full chisel haha) but I'll see what else I have. I wasn't too worried about finding a chain myself, but if someone had gone into a store and was looking for a "chain to fit a 16" mastercraft 3.4" I could see them getting lost ... Interesting enough, the seller also had a nice P28 (as well as a 71 Plymouth Duster with a stroked out 360, as nice a Mopar as I've personally seen) and I mentioned to let me know when he wanted to part with that as well.

..the saw that is.. I'm a Ford man.

I have a lot of Pioneers, but few that have antivibe, except for some larger Partner types.

I'm still working on the spreadsheet of all my saws. I've got 29 catalogued so far, haven't made it to "P" yet. Echo, Homelight, Husqvarna so far.

I am picking up a s25da with one of those 16" bannana bars but it has no chain. Were these running standard or lp 3/8? And, with the funny profile of that bar what would the dl count be? PO does not recall.

I've never run one before but have read great things. Thanks fellows.

I picked up a nice CTC 3400 some time ago. The 3400 was the only saw in that line that CTC sold and they sold a lot of them. Poulans never sold that well up here back then. The Craftsman saws are far more popular.
Incidentally, the CTC saw I bought has a 3800 (61cc) top end on it. The rings are the thicker ones like the 3400 but the bore is 1.88" instead of 1.81".
Skil assembled those saws in Toronto for Poulan Canada for some period of time and also sold a 3400 Skil version. They seemed to do a bunch of substitution on piston and cylinder assemblies, all to the upside that I've seen.
The saws feel much more nimble without the chain brakes. They don't weigh that much more than a plain cover but they feel much heavier.

This one should arrive in a few days.

$_57.JPG

That's interesting fossil. I've heard of the upsizing before; it makes sense if skil was doing most of the heavy lifting in Canada for assembly; that the upsizing might be universal across the various "brands".

I'll likely only pull the muffler for a peek if it's a willing runner - so the rings are all I'll report on at first, but we'll see what happens. As of now the ctc will only run off a prime..

My craftsman "3.4" has the thin rings, as documented here about 10 pages back lol

I am picking up a s25da with one of those 16" bannana bars but it has no chain. Were these running standard or lp 3/8? And, with the funny profile of that bar what would the dl count be? PO does not recall.

I've never run one before but have read great things. Thanks fellows.

3/8 - 0.050 LP chain

IPL attached. The 16" bar in the IPL has 56 DL. Check the PN on the bar first to the IPL.

Attachments

• S25DA -CVA IPL.PDF
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
I picked up a nice CTC 3400 some time ago. The 3400 was the only saw in that line that CTC sold and they sold a lot of them. Poulans never sold that well up here back then. The Craftsman saws are far more popular.
Incidentally, the CTC saw I bought has a 3800 (61cc) top end on it. The rings are the thicker ones like the 3400 but the bore is 1.88" instead of 1.81".
Skil assembled those saws in Toronto for Poulan Canada for some period of time and also sold a 3400 Skil version. They seemed to do a bunch of substitution on piston and cylinder assemblies, all to the upside that I've seen.
The saws feel much more nimble without the chain brakes. They don't weigh that much more than a plain cover but they feel much heavier.

Also interesting that you mention nimble. That's nothing I'd ever call these saws - maybe I'll leave a 16" bar on it to compare to my craftsman with the 18, just out of curiosity.

I found my (recently sold) 58cc
cc681282719dd81e3c41d83413036008.jpg
Pioneer 1200A much more nimble - great balance at top handle - compared to my Craftsman 3.4 with chain brake.

I still have an 1130, which is pretty much the same saw as my old 1200A, to keep up that comparison, I guess !

I can't wait to actually come across a Poulan 3400 haha!

That's interesting fossil. I've heard of the upsizing before; it makes sense if skil was doing most of the heavy lifting in Canada for assembly; that the upsizing might be universal across the various "brands".

I'll likely only pull the muffler for a peek if it's a willing runner - so the rings are all I'll report on at first, but we'll see what happens. As of now the ctc will only run off a prime..

My craftsman "3.4" has the thin rings, as documented here about 10 pages back lol

Then you have the only one in existence

So it's a red saw and both covers say 3.4/16"? That is rare and you probably do have the only one. Unless someone swapped a top end or both covers. Either way that's the more desirable engine. I'd measure the bore could be a 4000 top end who knows

So it's a red saw and both covers say 3.4/16"? That is rare and you probably do have the only one. Unless someone swapped a top end or both covers. Either way that's the more desirable engine. I'd measure the bore could be a 4000 top end who knows

You might be mixing my saws up with a red Craftsman Guido Salvage was showing here Saturday.

I have a black Craftsman 3.4, with an 18" bar. It seems to have the thin rings, but I haven't done anything else to determine it's displacement. I will eventually of course, but it's a strong runner that doesn't need any work at the moment, so I won't tear into it. Along with my XL-76, it's one of my go-to saws. It's stock, except that I took the spark arrestor screen out of the muffler.

Yesterday I bought a yellow Mastercraft (Canadian Tire) 54-5671 (3400), that just happened to have a 16" bar stuck onto it, I don't know who put it on. Doesn't say anything on the saw about being a "3.4-16" I am considering running it with the 16" bar, just to compare to my Craftsman unit.

Both saws have a chain brake.

Sorry If I posted things bass ackwards, or otherwise caused confusion!

Just as an aside, can I accurately measure the bore through the exhaust port? If so I'll measure them both and post the results! Curious myself.

Just as an aside, can I accurately measure the bore through the exhaust port? If so I'll measure them both and post the results! Curious myself.
I do it all the time. I raise the piston slightly to catch the edge and then stick my calipers into the bore catching the edge of the piston and back of the bore.

I do it all the time. I raise the piston slightly to catch the edge and then stick my calipers into the bore catching the edge of the piston and back of the bore.

What sort of caliper are you using for this now, that fits through exhaust port ? I'll pick one up, I know my sliding caliper like this isn't fitting lol - unless I'm not thinking right ..

4d21613e29c7ff93289a6e41f825c08e.jpg

Latest posts

Back