Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to search for that post as I am definately not up to speed on these pumps. I gather they passed air to the atmosphere readily? Weird.
I have never heard of Otto rings. I went via The Greek. I am hoping they work out.

Those Greek rings are only 0.059" or 1.5mm metric nominal thickness, what was your side gap clearance in the piston ring lands? 0.005" is the limit, .003" is standard

I sent three pair of those Caber rings back to Athens, but other members have used them. Dimitris doesn't mention that fact in the description.

Correct, the oiler diaphragm first, then the gasket. It helps hold it down if you haven't added the bridge yet. If you look at the various IPLs for that saw series, you'll see it assembled both ways. :dizzy:

Cap Mod
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-s25-oiler-fix.273837/#post-5228804

Otto
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-thread.98495/page-1628#post-5037865

I have ruined a perfectly good pair of jeans when my saw slipped and sliced my pant leg; i was blessed it only cut my thigh a little. was enough to make me notice though. got same chaps, never cut without them.
I always wear a hard hat when felling trees. had one try to take my head off once. two weeks of head, neck, and shoulder aches and deep bruises cured me of not wearing a hard hat. thing is, it was only a 4" pecker pole that was secretly leaning on the tree I cut. yep, I looked but it was well hidden until it took its opportunity. knocked me down and when I regained my senses my saw was sitting on the ground right next to my leg with the chain spinning. truly blessed again.
I've lost enough of my hearing to where I won't cut without wearing ear muffs.
always wear safety glasses; rarely wear gloves unless its cold.
guessing the older I get the more I realize I shouldn't be tempting fate. also, its not a matter of IF a saw will get somewhat out of control; its WHEN/WHERE it happens. good to be prepared. since I cut by myself I have to take ALL available precautions.
most anyone that's used a chainsaw for any length of time has many similar experiences. protect yourself

Those Greek rings are only 0.059" or 1.5mm metric nominal thickness, what was your side gap clearance in the piston ring lands? 0.005" is the limit, .003" is standard

I sent three pair of those Caber rings back to Athens, but other members have used them. Dimitris doesn't mention that fact in the description.

Correct, the oiler diaphragm first, then the gasket. It helps hold it down if you haven't added the bridge yet. If you look at the various IPLs for that saw series, you'll see it assembled both ways. :dizzy:

Cap Mod
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-s25-oiler-fix.273837/#post-5228804

Otto
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/poulan-thread.98495/page-1628#post-5037865

That is great info! I see exactly what is happening with the oiler now.

Thanks for the heads up on the rings. I will have to check them more closely. Can't beat Otto's price though.

I have ruined a perfectly good pair of jeans when my saw slipped and sliced my pant leg; i was blessed it only cut my thigh a little. was enough to make me notice though. got same chaps, never cut without them.
I always wear a hard hat when felling trees. had one try to take my head off once. two weeks of head, neck, and shoulder aches and deep bruises cured me of not wearing a hard hat. thing is, it was only a 4" pecker pole that was secretly leaning on the tree I cut. yep, I looked but it was well hidden until it took its opportunity. knocked me down and when I regained my senses my saw was sitting on the ground right next to my leg with the chain spinning. truly blessed again.
I've lost enough of my hearing to where I won't cut without wearing ear muffs.
always wear safety glasses; rarely wear gloves unless its cold.
guessing the older I get the more I realize I shouldn't be tempting fate. also, its not a matter of IF a saw will get somewhat out of control; its WHEN/WHERE it happens. good to be prepared. since I cut by myself I have to take ALL available precautions.
most anyone that's used a chainsaw for any length of time has many similar experiences. protect yourself

I'm going to pick up some stuff soon, I definitely don't want to test fate and I'd rather prepared in case something does happen. Plus none of my saws have chain brakes.

Can someone explain the difference/ similarities between the 245A 5200 and 8500 clutches? Shoes, drivers and springs? I see that they are very much the same.

eBay giveth and eBay taketh away...

The green one has been dropped from a height or something and the screws holes are stripped out on the flywheel cover. Runs good though, but won't stay together. The red one seems to have seen little use, but enough to fry the piston and take it to zero compression.

Sooooo...can I take the motor from the green (2300 CVA) and put in the red (Craftsman 2.0 or rebadged Poulan Micro I think) or scavenge the piston/cylinder? What is interchangeable? Sorry the pic is upside down. :badpc: Thanks!

image.jpg

eBay giveth and eBay taketh away...

The green one has been dropped from a height or something and the screws holes are stripped out on the flywheel cover. Runs good though, but won't stay together. The red one seems to have seen little use, but enough to fry the piston and take it to zero compression.

Sooooo...can I take the motor from the green (2300 CVA) and put in the red (Craftsman 2.0 or rebadged Poulan Micro I think) or scavenge the piston/cylinder? What is interchangeable? Sorry the pic is upside down. :badpc: Thanks!

View attachment 417318

Just from the pics. The CVA has the wrong and probably the wrong sized screws on fan housing. The back screw is in from the wrong side. First-Try pulling all the screws off the red fan cover and using on the green. The back one should be a fillister screw (tall head slot) The front 2 on the CVA should be round Allen heads but- the red might have round fillister's- should work. If that's no good - tap all the cover holes to 1/4 - will be a little thin in the back but should work- The screw length's can all be 7/8"- That way you can just cut longer ones. It's is easier to play with the screws than exchange the p/c....

The P/C are interchangeable. The connecting rods are the same part #. Go on the Poulan website has thge manuals and IPLs under customer service. Hope this helped a bit.

Picked up the new 5200. Overall looks really good, just need to clean it up tonight. Haven't seen the air filter or it's condition and I haven't looked at the P/C yet but I'm assuming it looks ok since the saw runs good. I'll know more tonight once I have a chance to dig a little deeper and clean it up. Bar and chain aren't great but I can get a new bar. This is the first big Poulan I've seen with this different cover on the front of the muffler though, anyone know the story on them?

20150406_115852.jpg
20150406_115821.jpg
20150406_115833.jpg
20150406_115909.jpg

First off, Thats a great looking 5200! Looks like will clean up good. Has plenty of oily saw crud caked on it, to help keeping it from rusting. LOL As far as the muffler goes...I would like a good answer also. I just call the kind in your pic, a "later" version. All my big Poulan's, a 4200 and 2 5200's, all have the other "earlier" style.

Ya see that style quite often on ebay. Looks like NOS stuff, so I'm assuming they were made late in production. Thats just guess on part. I debated on getting one of those mufflers when I rebuilt my last 5200. But decided to go with what it had on it to begin with.

poulans%20599_zpsbfuyfcuz.jpg

Gregg,

Thanks guys, and thanks for the info on the muffler Gregg. I'll post some more pictures hopefully tonight after I get it wiped down a bit and cleaned up.

This new 5200 cleaned up really well. I don't think it was used a lot during its life time. P/C look really good and the only 2 flaws I see is that the muffler is a bit rusty and the handle got smashed a bit somehow. Spent about an hour cleaning it up and going over it tonight.
Here are a few pics.

20150406_213607.jpg
20150406_220250.jpg
20150406_220155.jpg
20150406_220436.jpg
20150406_220317.jpg

I thought this sticker on the side was really cool. It's a fire prevention inspection sticker that has the date from January 5 1981 and the inspectors initials marked on it. Same year I was born, kinda cool it is still on there. I'll be keeping this saw for sure:)

20150406_220513.jpg

Latest posts

Back