Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This new 5200 cleaned up really well. I don't think it was used a lot during its life time. P/C look really good and the only 2 flaws I see is that the muffler is a bit rusty and the handle got smashed a bit somehow. Spent about an hour cleaning it up and going over it tonight.
Here are a few pics.

View attachment 417567
View attachment 417569
View attachment 417570
View attachment 417571
View attachment 417572

I thought this sticker on the side was really cool. It's a fire prevention inspection sticker that has the date from January 5 1981 and the inspectors initials marked on it. Same year I was born, kinda cool it is still on there. I'll be keeping this saw for sure:)

View attachment 417574
That is a very nice 5200. You are really starting to make me want to find another one.

Thanks, Brian

This new 5200 cleaned up really well. I don't think it was used a lot during its life time. P/C look really good and the only 2 flaws I see is that the muffler is a bit rusty and the handle got smashed a bit somehow. Spent about an hour cleaning it up and going over it tonight.
Here are a few pics.

View attachment 417567
View attachment 417569
View attachment 417570
View attachment 417571
View attachment 417572

I thought this sticker on the side was really cool. It's a fire prevention inspection sticker that has the date from January 5 1981 and the inspectors initials marked on it. Same year I was born, kinda cool it is still on there. I'll be keeping this saw for sure:)

View attachment 417574

That sticker is cool and that muffler style you have is part of the reason for that sticker.

That is a heat shield on the muffler. It is not listed on the 1975 IPL but is listed on the 1977 IPL

It is listed as a option so I'm assuming it was not sent from Poulan with it but was installed at the dealer. I have a bunch of early dealer brochures and price list and it is not listed with that style muffler on it. West coast might be different but no one has produced any definite proof yet.

Same with the S25 temp limiting muffler, the only one I know for sure that came with it was the Poulan Pro S25.

Nate, keep your eye out for any more of those forward mounted full wraps, there pretty nice.

That sticker is cool and that muffler style you have is part of the reason for that sticker.

That is a heat shield on the muffler. It is not listed on the 1975 IPL but is listed on the 1977 IPL

It is listed as a option so I'm assuming it was not sent from Poulan with it but was installed at the dealer. I have a bunch of early dealer brochures and price list and it is not listed with that style muffler on it. West coast might be different but no one has produced any definite proof yet.

Same with the S25 temp limiting muffler, the only one I know for sure that came with it was the Poulan Pro S25.

Nate, keep your eye out for any more of those forward mounted full wraps, there pretty nice.

Thanks for the info on the muffler Mark I was wondering about that. My place where I pick parts has another full wrap like this one but it is cracked all the way through on the bottom.

Good info Mark.. Makes sense that it is kind of a west coast thing, cutting on forest lands where they have all kinds of regulations ya have to comply with, as far as your saw goes.

Speaking of handles...That is the one minor complaint that I have with the 5200, and to a lesser extent with the 4200. The standard handle seems to be to far rearward. Most 5200's are run with longish bars. Always seemed to me the feel or balance would be better with a more forward handle, like the full wrap handle.

I assume the handle from a 5400 will fit the 5200 with no problem? I seem to recall that they have more of a forward bend to them. It probably wouldn't take but an inch or so forward to make the balance "feel" better with long bars.

Woodcutting%20001_zpsvpeapyqs.jpg

Gregg,

Good info Mark.. Makes sense that it is kind of a west coast thing, cutting on forest lands where they have all kinds of regulations ya have to comply with, as far as your saw goes.

Speaking of handles...That is the one minor complaint that I have with the 5200, and to a lesser extent with the 4200. The standard handle seems to be to far rearward. Most 5200's are run with longish bars. Always seemed to me the feel or balance would be better with a more forward handle, like the full wrap handle.

I assume the handle from a 5400 will fit the 5200 with no problem? I seem to recall that they have more of a forward bend to them. It probably wouldn't take but an inch or so forward to make the balance "feel" better with long bars.

Woodcutting%20001_zpsvpeapyqs.jpg

Gregg,

I agree Gregg, I would like the front handle spaced a bit farther forward as well. That style of full wrap that Nate posted is the only one that does that. There is another full wrap without the rubber wrap that does not move it forward.

The 5400 handle will not fit, it used 3 bolt holes in the back. Remember the 5400 got the longer rear tank/handle assy that actually moves the rear handle back farther.

I agree Gregg, I would like the front handle spaced a bit farther forward as well. That style of full wrap that Nate posted is the only one that does that. There is another full wrap without the rubber wrap that does not move it forward.

The 5400 handle will not fit, it used 3 bolt holes in the back. Remember the 5400 got the longer rear tank/handle assy that actually moves the rear handle back farther.

Ahhh yes.. The light bulb just went off. :confused: I do remember they used a 3 hole bolt pattern. I never thought I needed a full wrap, but it might be worth it, if I used a 5200 a lot.

That looks fantastic! Nate. The most important part of any 5200, that you want to refurbish or just get running.
Unlike the mess I started with on this one....:omg:

poulans%20045_zpskunf8fsn.jpg

poulans%20041_zpsviboholv.jpg

poulans%20032_zps4ymu68g1.jpg

Gregg,

That case looks rotted on the inside. Did you ever get that one together or is it non savable?

That case looks rotted on the inside. Did you ever get that one together or is it non savable?

It sure was rotted! It was a complete saw that didn't look to bad, from the outside. Was said to have sat for a long time and was stuck. I thought, with my fingers crossed that I could free it up and new rings, just might get her going. Ha!!! As I tore it down, it just got worse & worse. Must have been sitting in a real damp location. Cause the corrosion (white death) was everywhere inside.

Turned out to be a money pit for sure. But I was determined that it would live again. Albeit with about half its original parts. :( Crank case, P/C, few other odds & ends, many hours cleaning, prepping etc. paint later it ran. LOL We live and hopefully learn from these things. I probably would have been better off just using it for salvageable parts, and looked for another to restore.

Oh well. It was a learning experience and kinda fun, after the initial shock wore off.

5200firstcut%20007_zpsly5losym.jpg

Gregg,

It sure was rotted! It was a complete saw that didn't look to bad, from the outside. Was said to have sat for a long time and was stuck. I thought, with my fingers crossed that I could free it up and new rings, just might get her going. Ha!!! As I tore it down, it just got worse & worse. Must have been sitting in a real damp location. Cause the corrosion (white death) was everywhere inside.

Turned out to be a money pit for sure. But I was determined that it would live again. Albeit with about half its original parts. :( Crank case, P/C, few other odds & ends, many hours cleaning, prepping etc. paint later it ran. LOL We live and hopefully learn from these things. I probably would have been better off just using it for salvageable parts, and looked for another to restore.

Oh well. It was a learning experience and kinda fun, after the initial shock wore off.

5200firstcut%20007_zpsly5losym.jpg

Gregg,

Oh wow, it's that one huh, you did an amazing job on that! Very cool you were able to do that, nice job Gregg!

I got a 505 in that was white death inside crankcase like that 5200 but not that bad. :eek:

Tore it down and split to get a good look see. Crank no good, but might be able to save cases. So it is 1 of about 4-5 505 I owned that I shelved.

h1255053003_zpsc89c263c.jpg

h1255053001_zpsb9977937.jpg

Latest posts

Back