Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S25da. The one at that pawn shop did not seem to be in very good shape. Part of the handle, on the underside was missing, and the screws holding the starter on were not original; there were hex heads, some with washers, etc. and the sticker price was $79.99. Also, I haven't dealt at that store before to have any idea what they are like.

I moved on to the next pawn shop. There they had a poulan xxv. The bar was off, the chain was hanging and the clutch cover was to the side. No telling what other problems it might have. But I asked what was up with it and they said it was looking for a buyer. Make an offer. I said $20? He said it sounded good to him and asked his partner, "$20 sound good to you? What'd you give for it? $2?"

So I was wondering if I had paid too much for it. Thought I was probably going to need three carburetor kits now. But I packed it up in the case with the parts and the manual and took it.

When I got home, I put it together, except it didn't have the screw to hold the clutch cover on. I scrounged one up. (If I get pictures to post, you will see it).

I don't know if I got one picture to load, maybe twice, or nothing. I took more pictures. I will look for them. I guess I'll send this and see. View attachment 423451View attachment 423452

I seem to be quoting my previous post. (Unnecessarily) Trying for more pictures. 1, 2, or 3?image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
There needs to be a better way to do this and I wish I kneww how to do it. Trying with thumbnails. Are there a total of ten distinct photos now? After a fair amount of pulling, it started. With the help of the owner's manual, I got it running pretty good and made some cuts with it. Did not even sharpen the chain. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Fossil, I don't know either why this (and some others) have the xxv on the one side and on the other side under where it says automatic oiling, it says model 25da. I think the case and the manual are cool to have with it.

Now how about some suggestions on good sources for the carb kits I need for the other two? And all the other equipment I have to fix up. I would like to have some lace local I could walk into and walk out with what I need, when I need it. Having to order things and wait a week for things to come in sure breaks up the flow of a repair job.

Thanks in advance.

Fossil, I don't know either why this (and some others) have the xxv on the one side and on the other side under where it says automatic oiling, it says model 25da. I think the case and the manual are cool to have with it.

Now how about some suggestions on good sources for the carb kits I need for the other two? And all the other equipment I have to fix up. I would like to have some lace local I could walk into and walk out with what I need, when I need it. Having to order things and wait a week for things to come in sure breaks up the flow of a repair job.

Thanks in advance.

Mine has S25DA on the recoil and XXV on the clutch cover. Maybe yours is a 33cc version? Check your Inbox regarding the carb kits. Order and you should have them in under a week. Locally a small engine shop should have them.

Small engine shops tend to have about the same hours that I work, and I haven't found a good one around here that I can get to, at least since the one down on the corner closed 15 - 20 years ago.

If I stole it, how come the pawn shop made $18 on it?

I do think a hand guard on the front handle would be good to have. Has anyone done that? somehow?

And incidentally, the pictures in the manual for installing bar and chain show no bar plates, nor does it mention any. I'm pretty sure when I was reading up on these saws, I saw questions about if it uses 1 or 2. Apparently, at least on some versions, none were used.

And my 100th post, too!

Fossil, thanks for the information.

16:1 mix ratio. If you don't have Poulan 2 stroke oil, you can use 30 weight motor oil. It smoked a bit when it started; maybe the last owner had actually been using that ratio. (The tank was not dry.)

There needs to be a better way to do this and I wish I kneww how to do it. Trying with thumbnails. Are there a total of ten distinct photos now? After a fair amount of pulling, it started. With the help of the owner's manual, I got it running pretty good and made some cuts with it. Did not even sharpen the chain. View attachment 423458View attachment 423459View attachment 423460View attachment 423461View attachment 423461View attachment 423463View attachment 423464View attachment 423465

Looks to me like you have a very nice example of an early 25DA. Here are couple pics from a 1972 Poulan brochure.
The early Poulans, like yours, pre-Weedeater/Emerson Electric, was still called Beaird/Poulan Inc.
Was right around their 25th. anniversary. I think the color change happened after the merger, to a more green look.
Yours is probably points style ign. also, with the slide switch on the recoil cover. I think also that later, 38cc versions had the toggle switch on the center housing. I think they had a D and a DA versions. Only difference being auto-oiler and manual oiler.
I think Fossil is right also on it being the slightly smaller 33cc version, at 2.1 cu.in. Where the later ones were 38cc at 2.3 cu. in.

1972%20pics_0004_zpsrrdraaqq.jpg

1972%20pics_0005_zpsnypce4os.jpg

Gregg,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents (and thats about all its worth!) LOL, about the 25 or XXV designation on these saws. The 25 has nothing to do with cc's or cu. ins. Poulan saw company started in 1946. This model with the wreath with the roman numerals XXV, was to designate their 25th anniversary. When they came out with this light weight saw. They must have just kept the 25, as a model number for many more years. I'm sure ModifiedMark, or someone else, knows some of this history a whole lot better than me, and can confirm or debunk my statements. :D

Gregg,

XXV. If the world were a rational place, that designation should only have been used for one year, their 25th anniversary year, and that would appear to be 1971, give or take. A 44 year old saw. Or to put it in Romanspeak, XLIV. I got the "Rugged, lightweight case" but the only accessory I got was the manual. It indicates the screw for the bar/clutch cover should have been an Allen head and the saw should have come with a wrench for it. I wonder what else was included, or available.

Slide switch on the recoil cover: yes. Recoil cover says it is Model No. 25DA.

I got this Poulan 5020 for free due to a circlip coming loose and grooving the piston and cylinder. I got another new piston and cylinder which were very cheap and I was surprised. Well any ways got it put back together today and did some test cutting. I also did a few mods while apart. Can't leave things alone you know.

001.JPG 007.JPG

I thought this was interesting. The transfers have removable covers making it a closed transfer port.

006.JPG

So the 3450 has a 60cc cylinder on it. So is it like the 3750 then?

When I do it it will. I was going to pull the one 3450 piston and use a 335 cyl on the 3.0 But the 3.0 was like new inside. So didnt pull any tops yet.

The 60cc top in the 3450 in box will be going on the 54cc 3450 without cover.

I got this Poulan 5020 for free due to a circlip coming loose and grooving the piston and cylinder. I got another new piston and cylinder which were very cheap and I was surprised. Well any ways got it put back together today and did some test cutting. I also did a few mods while apart. Can't leave things alone you know.

View attachment 424079 View attachment 424080

I thought this was interesting. The transfers have removable covers making it a closed transfer port.

View attachment 424083

I was following your mods. How did you like the saw once you were cutting with it?

Back