Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A saw collector friend came over today. We ran a few of my saws as well. Poulan 5200, Homelite Super 650 and a Mac SP 80.

That 5200 hadn't been started since Greggs' GTG in 2013. Ran like a champ and my friend was very impressed. I ran it as well.

If that saw doesn't put a smile on your face, you're likely not a saw nut.

So new to this poulan thank! What size is the 5200? I guess I could look it up on acres!

This line of saws comes in three displacements. 4.2 cube , 69cc, 4.9 cubes, 77cc and 5.2 cubes, 85cc. All are animals in their class sizes.

Plus, very easy to work on and reasonable weight. Start easy and run great.The 85cc versions will pull a 36" bar in hardwood with authority.

Te 5200 is 85 cc. There are three models of this 85cc saw. 5200, 5400 and 8500. If you can find one, get it, you won't be disappointed.

I say this as a guy with several different saws from various manufacturers from the 70's through 1990 or so and this one will likely stomp anything in that class from that time period hard.
I can't think of a negative except the few parts that can be hard to find which is a minor issue that plagues all older saws.

I do love those older Poulans for good reason.

I was following your mods. How did you like the saw once you were cutting with it?

I think I need to run the saw some more but right now for a 50cc saw it does pretty good. I want to put a tach on it so I can see the RPM's it is turning and also see what the compression and squish is at after a tank or two of fuel. I do think the saw would be better with a .325 chain and I am considering changing it out. See you at the GTG.

So new to this poulan thank! What size is the 5200? I guess I could look it up on acres!

Disregard all that hooey that Fossil was rambling on about the Poulan 5200. He is a senile ole codger and doesn't know what he's talkin about half the time. eh!! They are just over weight, cantankerous, hard to start, green turds. If you can get one started, it likely won't have the nuts to spin the chain around the bar, especially a 36" bar. :rolleyes:

If I was you, and ran across one, or more. I would just ship them down here to Ohio, and I can dispose of them proper for you. I will wipe them off occasionally and take them to the woods, so they can see the trees again. Then take them back to the shed, so they can live out their lives in peace & quiet, without the annoying high pitch buzz of more modern Sthil & Husqvarna saws bothering them.

:D:laughing::yes:
Gregg,

Disregard all that hooey that Fossil was rambling on about the Poulan 5200. He is a senile ole codger and doesn't know what he's talkin about half the time. eh!! They are just over weight, cantankerous, hard to start, green turds. If you can get one started, it likely won't have the nuts to spin the chain around the bar, especially a 36" bar. :rolleyes:

If I was you, and ran across one, or more. I would just ship them down here to Ohio, and I can dispose of them proper for you. I will wipe them off occasionally and take them to the woods, so they can see the trees again. Then take them back to the shed, so they can live out their lives in peace & quiet, without the annoying high pitch buzz of more modern Sthil & Husqvarna saws bothering them.

Gregg,

Ah ok then I'll dispose of them properly by using them accordingly as boat anchors, because I love my piss revving stihl's and husky's! Thank you for showing me the light! They can join my oly 970 and others! Don't worry I'll drain the bar oil and gas before hand. I'm sure the lake will be polluted enough with the stench of these!

Gregg,

If you bring yours to the GTG I will take them home and fix them up over a period of some years and then return them to you.

No charge as you are a good friend.

Well I had the 5020 out today to do some more cutting with it and checked it with the tach. Looks like it came with a rev liming coil, the max rpm I can get is 12000 and then I can hear the coil kick in and start breaking up. I was hoping with the mods I made to get about 13000 Rpm's but not with out a different coil.

If you bring yours to the GTG I will take them home and fix them up over a period of some years and then return them to you.

No charge as you are a good friend.

That sounds like a kind and generous offer, and might consider taking you up on that. But, the part "over a period of some years" has me concerned. If you weren't Canadian born, you would make a great US presidential candidate.

:drinkingcoffee:Gregg

That sounds like a kind and generous offer, and might consider taking you up on that. But, the part "over a period of some years" has me concerned. If you weren't Canadian born, you would make a great US presidential candidate.

:drinkingcoffee:Gregg

That would be the same in every free country in the world. I think if you look up "politics" in the dictionary you would (or should) find the definition as,

"the legalization of unspecified but, slightly limited immoral and criminal activities.":yes:

Back