Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't got to cut any since mid summer, especially with most of WA state on fire for so long. So I had to fire up the 5200's last night just to remember what they sound like and get a quick fix haha! And I took a picture just because.

View attachment 453511

Nice Pair you got there Nate ..real nice! I know what ya mean. Was 2 years to the day, since I ran a 5200 this past Sat. Just havn't had the need for a saw that size in quite a while. I have run a 4200 once in awhile, they ain't no slouch either. Plus they feel, look and sound just like a 5200. :D

Gregg,

Nice Pair you got there Nate ..real nice! I know what ya mean. Was 2 years to the day, since I ran a 5200 this past Sat. Just havn't had the need for a saw that size in quite a while. I have run a 4200 once in awhile, they ain't no slouch either. Plus they feel, look and sound just like a 5200. :D

Gregg,

Well I haven't had a chance to run any of them recently, big or small! Hopefully this fall once everything isn't so dry I can get out some.

Gregg,

Oh and thank you! They sure look nice sitting in the garage haha!

Any of you guys use the new piston and rings sets the little red barn is selling on eBay? I see they now have 4400 655 5200 3700 etc

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Well will the 3700 service manual work with the 3400?

Steve

Yes...The service manuals cover the series 3400, 3700, 4000. They are all pretty much the same thing. P/C size internally is basically what is different. They all even use the same crank, carb, bearings, seals etc.

Gregg,

That box of parts I got was another 3400, minus rear handle and p/c which owner said was scored real bad. I pulled the muffler and noticed that this one has a slight scratch at the top of the piston so I'll be pulling the cylinder off for inspection. The cylinder wil be buffed and so will the piston. I doesn't look to bad, will have to swap out top handle, looks like it has a slight bend to it, handle too close to cylinder cover.

Steve

Yup bad ass 4200
ac9c161272597b622c43b8e1b9db78d6.jpg

I have an older S25CVA I'm looking to resurrect. It seems to have been breaker ignition, with all of it gone. Different, less fins on the flywheel, so I'm assuming breaker at least.

What's my best bet to get this some spark? Seen mention earlier this year in the thread about a Nova module?

Thanks,

Jason

Yup bad ass 4200
ac9c161272597b622c43b8e1b9db78d6.jpg

Yes they are! The first large Poulan I ever run, (larger than a 3400/4000) was rmsmoparmans (Mikes) 4200 at a GTG. It amazed me how much different it felt from a 4000. Only 5cc more, but the reed induction sure makes some low end grunt! I got to do some test cuts, back to back with a 7700 & 8500 one time. Honestly I could not tell a difference, power wise. If anything, I thought the 7700 was smoother. Was either my imagination or could have been different chain, who knows. Led me to think that the 77cc version of these saws, might be the "sweet spot" for this series of saws and their design. 69cc 77cc 85cc. Just to bad the 7700 seems to be a rare bird to come across. Same could probably be said for the 4900 also.

Gregg,

I have an older S25CVA I'm looking to resurrect. It seems to have been breaker ignition, with all of it gone. Different, less fins on the flywheel, so I'm assuming breaker at least.

What's my best bet to get this some spark? Seen mention earlier this year in the thread about a Nova module?

Thanks,

Jason

I have grey nova modules in a couple of points saws and they work great. If you have the old points coil and it's OK the module should work fine. I find they tend to advance the timing a bit so give it good sharp pull when you start it.

Latest posts

Back