Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
933d5c11059001f9820c5c779423ca70.jpg

Steve

I am thinking have a friend sand blast the very dirty exhuast pieces and paint with something like grill paint
I use my bench grinder with a brass wire wheel mounted to clean the crap off my piston, muffler, etc. then use high temp engine paint on the muffler. been doing that for years. so far, no problems.

Getting frustrated guys. Still can't stop my S25 cva oil pump from leaking when doing a pressure test. Added a bridge to the cover . The leak appears under the left side of the pump near the case. I even used some sealant and it still leaks. It doesn't seem to be leaking at the impulse opening but to the left near where the oil line attaches. I noticed a round hole on the bottom of the pump underneath the round sponge material .
Is that where excess air from the impulse escapes the pump? Not sure what it does. Any ideas will be appreciated. Has to in the pump cause removing it and plugging the case impulse opening results in a passed pressure test. One other question.
Does anyone think this leak would cause an idle issue? Attached is a pic of the above mentioned opening circled in black

Bob,
The round hole in the back is the atmospheric vent port for the oiler diaphragm. The donut sponge filter
covers it on the inside of the pump body.

I would pull the oil cover cap again, pull the oiler diaphragm back out, and then try to spin the little rod with
your fingers...If the assembly/joint is loose, that's your air leak & the leak path to that "round hole" vent on the
back side of the pump. If you pulled the pump body off the saw, then use a new 19054 gasket & remember to put sealer
(Motoseal works fine) on the tip end threads of the three mounting bolts like the factory did.

I have found several diaphragms that were loose & just needing recrimped to being air tight again. Also found some
that were completely apart and a creating major air leak. I saved a half dozen to rebuild with new diaphragm material,
but have not got around to it yet. Work & travel seems to always get in the way.

Yes, this air leak does cause an issue with idling, having to adjust the idle mixture screw.

S25DA Gaskets Misc.jpg

I'm just going by PAST experience, cause when its that cold, this old guy anin't out cutting nothing any more. :cold:

Gregg,

Agreed there, I even sold off my heated handle saws.

So get any deer down?
I brought 2 jerky makers back with me. Bigger does.
Never seen a buck where I was on my land. Dad said he seen one on the other side heading my way. I shot the doe he was following and didnt hear him till after I shot. About half way coming down hill. No biggie I was meat hunting.
1 tag left for a buck now. :p

Finally got to look at that new piston kit for my 3400 I got from lil red barn, after near a month from being out of work. Piston kit looks good. I don't see any flaws with the piston or rings.

Steve

I have a 3400 cylinder if you need one. Just need to cleanup exhaust bevel where the ring snagged.
Got it in as a parts saw and parted it out.

I have a 3400 cylinder if you need one. Just need to cleanup exhaust bevel where the ring snagged.
Got it in as a parts saw and parted it out.
Thanks but I got off eBay when I ordered piston kit. It was really clean inside with hardly any carbon at the exhaust port or at the plug hole.

Steve

Agreed there, I even sold off my heated handle saws.

So get any deer down?
I brought 2 jerky makers back with me. Bigger does.
Never seen a buck where I was on my land. Dad said he seen one on the other side heading my way. I shot the doe he was following and didnt hear him till after I shot. About half way coming down hill. No biggie I was meat hunting.
1 tag left for a buck now. :p

No deer for me, yet...lol I was only out couple hours opening day, then sat in the rain all Tues. morning. Nothing. Will probably go out this weekend. My friend Kevin's son and his wife got a smallish 9 pt. this morning, back by where we have the Poulan GTG.. :D I'm glad somebody is having some luck!

Deer2015%20003_zpsxb7970pq.jpg

Gregg,

Bob,
The round hole in the back is the atmospheric vent port for the oiler diaphragm. The donut sponge filter
covers it on the inside of the pump body.

I would pull the oil cover cap again, pull the oiler diaphragm back out, and then try to spin the little rod with
your fingers...If the assembly/joint is loose, that's your air leak & the leak path to that "round hole" vent on the
back side of the pump. If you pulled the pump body off the saw, then use a new 19054 gasket & remember to put sealer
(Motoseal works fine) on the tip end threads of the three mounting bolts like the factory did.

I have found several diaphragms that were loose & just needing recrimped to being air tight again. Also found some
that were completely apart and a creating major air leak. I saved a half dozen to rebuild with new diaphragm material,
but have not got around to it yet. Work & travel seems to always get in the way.

Yes, this air leak does cause an issue with idling, having to adjust the idle mixture screw.

View attachment 466718

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I tested three of my saws and they all leaked at that hole. Must have bad diaphragms. I did notice that the two little metal spinners did move separately. You just crimp them?

No deer for me, yet...lol I was only out couple hours opening day, then sat in the rain all Tues. morning. Nothing. Will probably go out this weekend. My friend Kevin's son and his wife got a smallish 9 pt. this morning, back by where we have the Poulan GTG.. :D I'm glad somebody is having some luck!

Deer2015%20003_zpsxb7970pq.jpg

Gregg,

Super nice. :clap:

I got my 2 does on opening day.

Let just say the new .444 marlin with 265gr XTP way overkill o_O. What I saw happen through scope was. :eek:

Braved the cold the other night and did a little carbon cleanup on the one owner 4200 I got recently. Had quite a bit of carbon build up inside the muffler and by the exhaust port. Scraped the inside of the muffler with a flat head screw drive and blew it all out with the air compressor. Here are a couple pics of the piston, one dark area but all looks good. Compression is right about 155 and it idles and accelerates great.

20151201_001508.jpg
20151201_001437.jpg

Super nice. :clap:

I got my 2 does on opening day.

Let just say the new .444 marlin with 265gr XTP way overkill o_O. What I saw happen through scope was. :eek:

I understand what your saying Kevin. I'm sure the .45-70 that I wanted to get would be also. But, kinda like some chainsaws...There's no substitute for cubic inches & horsepower! :D I use a smooth bore 12 gauge with 3" mag slugs. LOL I keep my shots to pretty close range, 20-40 yds. A well placed shot to the boiler room, and the lights go out very quickly.

Gregg,

Back