Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked on my little micro just a few mins ago. Must have a weak clutch. Chain spins at idle and I have to slow it to the point of dying to get it to stop. Good news is, I tried it on a 10" piece of oak and it just cut straight through it no problem. More power than I expected out of such a small saw.

Make sure the clutch and drum is clean and the bearing is in good shape and lubed. If the spring is weak, the clutches are very inexpensive.

The little saws cut very well for their size. They are often overlooked.

i was wondering if i take out the diffuser in my 3.7 muffler and put sleaves on the bolts (so the muffler doesnt crush) will i gain any power? ive already drilled the diffuser holes in to 3/8 and cut a slit in side...?

I doubt you would notice any difference at all. Drilling out the diffuser already provides greater area than the exhaust port opening. The final side port on the muffler body and/or holes in the front are what moderate the flow at that point.

I've tried multiple combinations of side ports on this series, all on machines with base gasket deletion. There is not a significant difference in performance from a muffler standpoint between factory setups and dual porting etc. In my experience, the easiest starting ones are with the non-modified muffler.

Base gasket deletion helps a tad. A bit of timing advance will help as well.

Best bang for the buck is a seriously sharp chain.

have a good chain. i wont bother, i dont need to change timing. its starts great now with mods done

1006161721~2.jpg Problem solved and new project coming up. Dug out my top handles and compared. Looks like the broken 2300 handle will go on my 2000 to give it anti-vibe and the clutch and drum will go to the micro XXV. Just looking at them everything looks like it should match up. See, CAD comes in handy.

Yup...its broken. Whats the best way to get in there and replace it?

Fish a wire down through the oil discharge hole and out the oil filter hole. Cut a piece of the correct size tubing and taper the end. Attach the wire to the tapered end on the tube and pull up and through the oil discharge hole. Cut the tubing to the right length and attach it to the oil filter and trim the tube flush at the discharge hole.

Yup...its broken. Whats the best way to get in there and replace it?
I have also found those can benefit tremendously from a new duckbill valve in the banjo fitting adjacent to crank on the PTO side. The ones I've worked on all pump much better when retrofitted. Even ones with low hours it seems. Not a difficult job at all. Carefully file around the perimeter of the fitting to remove the screen. Homelite duckbills are short enough to avoid bottoming out in the fitting. The green Poulan's are too long. A little JB-Weld and away you go.

Poulan Micro XXV 1.jpg

Make certain the open side of the pickup body assembly faces down when you fit it back to the tank. Easy to get them upside down as they mount either way. BTDT.

Chainsaw repair site and here are only 2 sites for now I am sharing this tid bit with for now.

Picked up these 3 craftsman 38cc powersharp chainsaws today while heading out to help a friend out with some down trees. The blue and red start, run and oil bar. The red one had rear and front handle AV.
Yellow one missing rope and handle so no clue there.

Will try and get these into someones hands that like these models. Will sell or trade just PM me.

craftspoulan38cc.png

Chainsaw repair site and here are only 2 sites for now I am sharing this tid bit with for now.

Picked up these 3 craftsman 38cc powersharp chainsaws today while heading out to help a friend out with some down trees. The blue and red start, run and oil bar. The red one had rear and front handle AV.
Yellow one missing rope and handle so no clue there.

Will try and get these into someones hands that like these models. Will sell or trade just PM me.

View attachment 530119

The yellow and blue one have oil under the black button on handle. The red one had like a dummy button that is level and no words under it like the other 2. Any info?

Not up on the info on these as I usually just fix or part them out.

Well all the poulan super 25s I've had automatic oiler with manual override I guess the craftsman is auto only. I got a super xls like that no thumb button

All 3 craftsman and always had auto with manual oiler too. All my poulans in past too. But this Red one is the only one I have seen like this with a dummy button. Maybe newer version.

Few of them have that black plastic on/off switch too.

Latest posts

Back