Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cotter pins do tend to turn in the hole from vibration and wallow out the hole some. The fix is a larger cotter pin. Someone else had the same issue. I though maybe the old pin could be pulled out and a larger new one inserted and the tabs bent over with a piece of wooden dowel but apparently not. You may have to spit the case. I have a few that do the same thing.
Yea, I agree that splitting the case would be the best remedy. Think I'll forego that choice seeing as I'm not at home.

Remember Christine the car? This is my Christine the chainsaw. Took a while to get the leak between the carb adaptor plate and the carb fixed. Had it going. The carb was kitted and cleaned and the next day the metering needle stuck open. It dumped a lot of mix into the crankcase. I dried the plug, drained the tank and fired it up. It chugged along for about 1-1/2 minutes using up the fuel in the crankcase. It seems to run fine now and starts easily. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. A bit rough cosmetically.

Anyone have a spike they can scan as a pdf file and send it to me?

View attachment 538342 View attachment 538343
When I get home I'll if any of my 2800 type saws have spikes. If so you can have it.

Nice one Tim. I have a Benchmark brand 2800 that needs some attention. I haven't seen the orange one like yours. I can scan you the spike at work this week.

What was the fix with the plate/boot/carb you were having?

Off to the local charity cut this AM again. Always enjoyable. A bit of a mix of saws in my 6 saw plan today. Two weeks ago it was all Poulan. Last week all Homelite. A bit of a blend today. Just have to load them and head out now.

For the firewood size in the decks we're cutting, the 3000 is tops. It will get lots of action today. It has the superior AV. I can still feel the s25da I ran two weeks ago.

Nov 20 Charity Cut.jpg

Nice one Tim. I have a Benchmark brand 2800 that needs some attention. I haven't seen the orange one like yours. I can scan you the spike at work this week.

What was the fix with the plate/boot/carb you were having?

I made sure the plate was flat and it was OK. I put a spare boot in that I had. It held good vac a pressure with the one I took out but swapped it anyway. I think the fix that worked was a double thick gasket between the carb and the plate. I cut the gaskets and used Motoseal in between them. Anymore BS from it in that respect and I'll put some Motoseal between the carb and gasket and then on the carb side of the plate.
I also have a 285 which is basically the same but has the chrome plated cyl bore and a bare piston. The 2800 P&C look perfect and comp is at 150 so it feels pretty snappy. I was going to cut a couple of cookies today but it's blowing like heck outside. The 285 runs well but needs a brake band. I forgot to ask a friend if he has any band saw blades that are used up. I think I could make one out of that material with a little annealing where the end needs to be bent.
Did you get a 4200 or a 4400? I can't remember.
I might keep my eye out for a 3000 if I can find one in nice shape. I'm getting too many saws now so my enthusiasm is curbing a bit.

Thanks for offering a scan of the spike. I will make a couple when I receive it. No rush.

I made sure the plate was flat and it was OK. I put a spare boot in that I had. It held good vac a pressure with the one I took out but swapped it anyway. I think the fix that worked was a double thick gasket between the carb and the plate. I cut the gaskets and used Motoseal in between them. Anymore BS from it in that respect and I'll put some Motoseal between the carb and gasket and then on the carb side of the plate.
I also have a 285 which is basically the same but has the chrome plated cyl bore and a bare piston. The 2800 P&C look perfect and comp is at 150 so it feels pretty snappy. I was going to cut a couple of cookies today but it's blowing like heck outside. The 285 runs well but needs a brake band. I forgot to ask a friend if he has any band saw blades that are used up. I think I could make one out of that material with a little annealing where the end needs to be bent.
Did you get a 4200 or a 4400? I can't remember.
I might keep my eye out for a 3000 if I can find one in nice shape. I'm getting too many saws now so my enthusiasm is curbing a bit.

Thanks for offering a scan of the spike. I will make a couple when I receive it. No rush.
Tim, I have some new ones here if you want to save some work...

So it has been 26ish hours since I did the base gaket delete and 12 hours earlier since I did the case. Think I could pressure test it now or should I let it set till morning?

Heh, just saw a reference to the oil tank vent, a cotter pin? Hope mine isn't too loose. Just oil anyway.

I didn't know what the cotter pin did or I would have replaced it while the case was split, as it is very loose. Better chain oiling when cutting notches!

Just tested it, no movememt of the crank it looses approximately a half psi of pressure over 120 seconds elapsed time and a little less than a point of vac over 120 seconds. Crank rotation pass vac and pressure with no perciptable loss of either during rotation. I would think that is a pass, what do the judges say?

Manual oil pump question on my 3400, when first mashing pump level has good resistance, after that its real easy, let sit 15 to 20 seconds and firm again on first push then easy again. Does that sounds like it time to replace the pump plunger seals, oil does flow good on first push then not much after that.

Steve

I didn't know what the cotter pin did or I would have replaced it while the case was split, as it is very loose. Better chain oiling when cutting notches!

Just tested it, no movememt of the crank it looses approximately a half psi of pressure over 120 seconds elapsed time and a little less than a point of vac over 120 seconds. Crank rotation pass vac and pressure with no perciptable loss of either during rotation. I would think that is a pass, what do the judges say?

Your good to go. The cotterpin fits in the oil vent hole. You want it to turn slightly. However mine was leaking oil out the vent hole while on its side. Like fossil said, gas up quick so it doesn't have much time to leak.

Manual oil pump question on my 3400, when first mashing pump level has good resistance, after that its real easy, let sit 15 to 20 seconds and firm again on first push then easy again. Does that sounds like it time to replace the pump plunger seals, oil does flow good on first push then not much after that.

Steve
I'd say so but haven't had that problem as yet.

Steve

Could be worn, but not likely as that's a 2 sided "quad" O-ring and by design it seals both ways. I assume that the auto-oiler is working OK..

Refill rate into the pump body is dependant on 6 different items; oil thickness/temperature, pick-up screen, hose pinholes/kinks, inlet and outlet check balls & springs in the pump body, and then the tank vent/cotter.

I just had to order a used pump body from Acornhill last month because the intake check valve was stopped up by fines & couldn't even be cleared with carb cleaner, 100# shop air & a small wire. It picks up & oils great now.

Are you running the "Summer" thick oil?

Have you pulled the pump assembly out to inspect & pressure test the two midget sized internal checks?

Haven't check it yet, brought it to work today to see what's going on. The pump that was on it did the same thing. Auto pump seems to work when warmed up but not manual part. I replaced the line when I went through the saw. Had to used two saws to build one. Rod bearings on crank was shot.

Steve

Hey guys does the Windsor UXL fit the 475, 4900 and 306 lines of saws?

Yes on the 4900 and the 306. You would need spacers for the studs on the 306 and maybe on the 4900. The 4900 had both 5/16" and 3/8" bar studs.

The 5/16" studs require an "S" clip or just use a 3/8" extension spring and cut a few coils off and use that. Ipt a little bend in the leg of the coi wire so the spacers don't fall off when you take the bar off

The UXL bars have a 3/8" slot. The 475 takes a D009 mount so the UXL would likely fit up OK but maybe the guys with that series could verify.

Just about all the 3400 - 4000 and 4200 - 8500 saws came with Windsor UXL bars in Canada. Great bars. They fit most of the 1970 and '80's Homelites as well.

Well after saw sit in shop this morning warming up, got to look at it at lunch, pump worked fine. Time to thin out the oil. Didn't even dawn on me about the oil because of the warm weather we've been having then this cold snap hit.

Steve

Back